Help going to the door

4 posters

Go down

Help going to the door Empty Help going to the door

Post by mattyp Tue Nov 13 2012, 18:29

Hi All

Rocky is 6 months old i have more or less cracked house training through the day its just the night time im having issues with.. He very rarely does any thing through the day. Until today me and my partner took him for a long walk including abit of fetch with his new ball (he learnt to bring it back today, so happy Big Grin ) anyway he never had a poo at all while we was out, we was out for just over an hour, well wen we got back because he was a bit sludgy i bathed him he then went to his crate to dry off.. While we was eating our tea he pooed & weed on the kitchen floor, 1st time in months.

So what im asking is what can i do to train him to go to the door and let us know he needs to go out into the garden?

Thanks in advance Smile
mattyp
mattyp
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 6 month
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help going to the door Empty Re: Help going to the door

Post by Kathy Tue Nov 13 2012, 18:34

You could try going back to basics and let him out every hour. Try keeping the door that he needs to go out of closed then let him out when he goes to the door, in effect asking for the door to be opened. Give lots of praise when he does go to the toilet outside.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 20:02

Agree with Kathy. Take him outside every hour. If he poos/wees outside give him loads of praise; if he has an accident inside don't say a word & certainly don't get angry, just lead him outside & encourage him to do something out there.

Try using a 'trigger' word. When he's outside, watch him for signs he's going to do his business - as soon as he either lifts his leg or squats to poo, say "Wee" or "Poo" & "Good boy!" - afterwards, give him praise or a treat, using the trigger word over and over.

Once he associates the trigger word with the action, you should be able to say it outside & he'll try to go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 20:22

As has been said, just take him out to go to the toilet often so you beat him to it, so to speak. After a while, he'll learn that because that's the place he has to go, he'll have to let you know that he wants to go out. It can be subtle though, Loki will just walk from one place to another when he wants to go to the toilet.

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Tue Nov 13 2012, 20:27

hi Caryll like i said before he wont do anything in front of us its so frustrating lol. Also its hard to stand with him while outside because when im at work my and my partner lets him out she cant leave our little boy on his own in house (hes 22 month called Dylan) its kind of hard some times.

on the bright side i have managed to take Rocky for 2 walkes today once with my partner and son nice long walk and a lot of free run chasing his ball for over an hour and second time just me and him just on the lead for about 50 mins
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Tue Nov 13 2012, 20:47

Do you think perhaps he is sensing your anxiety about whether he will do his business and this is perpetuating things? They definitely take cues from us and if you are tense (even if you think you seem relaxed) he will know, I read once that in training a dog you should firmly visualise them doing what it is you want them to - not sure how true this is but it's something I do, but oh has trouble with and Dexter is very co-operative with me in commands, but sometimes seems confused when oh tells him something. I imagine you project the confidence from the thought onto the dog, their perception is amazing.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Support total : 100

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14 2012, 00:52

thumbs up Well done on uping his walks today, just remember it won't fix things straight away.. Perseverence and Patience is neccasary as i'm sure you and your wife can understand with a 22 month old son (great name by the way Wink My son is also Dylan)

Try the advice you have been given, longer daily walks, taking him outside often, as advised, and changing his food to one with a high meat content and no wheat.. It may seem like it will never get any better, but it will Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14 2012, 17:00

mattyp wrote:hi Caryll like i said before he wont do anything in front of us its so frustrating lol. Also its hard to stand with him while outside because when im at work my and my partner lets him out she cant leave our little boy on his own in house (hes 22 month called Dylan) its kind of hard some times.

on the bright side i have managed to take Rocky for 2 walkes today once with my partner and son nice long walk and a lot of free run chasing his ball for over an hour and second time just me and him just on the lead for about 50 mins

Brilliant on managing some longer walks - it will help, honestly. But the only way you'll get him to go outside is to take him out for a walk first thing in the morning when he's busting to go out! Then stay out until he goes.

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Wed Nov 14 2012, 17:38

Great progress took him to the fields today to play fetch and he had a poo, he wasnt on the lead tho but he did it in front of us Smile also hes started doing it infront of us in the garden too

Glad i joined this site thank you so much to every 1 that has been kind enough to help us Smile
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14 2012, 17:50

mattyp wrote:Great progress took him to the fields today to play fetch and he had a poo, he wasnt on the lead tho but he did it in front of us Smile also hes started doing it infront of us in the garden too

Glad i joined this site thank you so much to every 1 that has been kind enough to help us Smile

And are you doing big praises and big treats Big Grin . They actually really like it when you do a monkey dance in front of them as a reward , you have to try it some time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14 2012, 23:28

mattyp wrote:Great progress took him to the fields today to play fetch and he had a poo, he wasnt on the lead tho but he did it in front of us Smile also hes started doing it infront of us in the garden too

Great news Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Thu Nov 15 2012, 06:37

still doing every thing, still getting a wet crate with a small parcel on a morning when i get up for work Sad
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15 2012, 06:53

I really don't think you're going to get anywhere unless you can get him to toilet in front of you.
You can get up in the night & let him out, but if he won't go it won't do any good. You really are going to have to take him out immediately you get up in the morning & stay out until he at least pees! Then give him loads of praise.

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Thu Nov 15 2012, 08:11

i do let him out on a morning but he wont do a thing. and this is probs due to the fact that he doesnt need to do any thing because he has already done it on his crate floor! its like im fighting a loosing battle.
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 15 2012, 08:27

Sorry if this is an obvious or silly thing to ask but what are you using to clean up the accidents? Perhaps a strong white vinegar needs to be used, not only do you need to get him to go in front of you so you can then praise and get the associations right in his mind, but you also need to eliminate the scents that he is leaving. I know you will be cleaning it up but most household cleaners can't get rid of it, he will smell it and do it again and again. The more he does it the harder to get rid of it is and the cycle goes on.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Thu Nov 15 2012, 11:08

back to basics i get with lots of praise and treats if he does it outside. Apparently you can put a bell on the door and teach them to ring that when they go outside. Have to invest in a bell for tash to do this as she just sits by the door and waits for us without even a bark. Sometimes we dont see her for ages, because we too have a son called Dylan, it is a beautiful name!
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help going to the door Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15 2012, 12:19

mattyp wrote:i do let him out on a morning but he wont do a thing. and this is probs due to the fact that he doesnt need to do any thing because he has already done it on his crate floor! its like im fighting a loosing battle.

I don't mean let him out, I mean take him out on a long walk & stay out until he pees at least!

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Thu Nov 15 2012, 12:32

i have to leave for work at 5am so im to get up at say 4 am to walk the dog then sort my self out for work im onyl human im not a robot i work in a quite physicly demanding job so im really tired when i get home from work as it is without getting up at 2 hours before i start work for me to take the dog on a walk on the off chance that he might have a poo or a wee, which is pretty pointless any way because the next time he does anything is after his brakefast at 9 am because he already messed in the night all ovet his cage.

Rach whats the best thing to use to clean it with?
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 15 2012, 12:53

You need white vinegar or tea tree, there are also a number of products online or in pets at home etc that are designed to discourage dogs from going in the same spot again. This would not help necessarily with you getting him to go in front of you, you still need to be doing as others have said taking him out for his walks and when he goes lots of praise (think looking dementedly happy, high pitched voice and treats) it's just that as an aside you need to get rid of the scents too during this process in my opinion.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 15 2012, 12:57

Also just thought when you get back from walks what happens? Do you let him out into the garden then? See Dex doesn't poo while we are out walking (he has done it once when he had a touch of a dicky tum) so he will immediately go to the back door when we get home and go then. Perhaps when he has had a good walk (exercise will stimulate the bowels I reckon) take him straight out at home and stay there with him, stay relaxed and wait it out.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Thu Nov 15 2012, 14:48

He has started going in front of us now but not always. When hes had a walk i go in the garden with him but i cant make him go lol i stood out side with him last night at 11pm for 20 mins and he did nothing. When i got up this morning the crate was fulll of wee & poo

I heared some where that washing powder works to clean it too. Is that right
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Thu Nov 15 2012, 17:43

Took him for a walk for about 2 hours did 2 wees (treats and loads of praise) no poo when we got back he was tired and fell asleep in his bed i took him in the garden roughley an hour later again he had a wee (treats and praise again) no poo.. Was out side about 15 mins i just feel like im wasting my time he just sits and looks at me. I will try again every hour till i go to bed, i know full well he will poo in his cage again tonight.. Its getting me down Sad
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15 2012, 22:04

mattyp wrote:Took him for a walk for about 2 hours did 2 wees (treats and loads of praise) no poo when we got back he was tired and fell asleep in his bed i took him in the garden roughley an hour later again he had a wee (treats and praise again) no poo.. Was out side about 15 mins i just feel like im wasting my time he just sits and looks at me. I will try again every hour till i go to bed, i know full well he will poo in his cage again tonight.. Its getting me down Sad

No matter what you think now, IT WILL GET BETTER!! You have only been trying different things with him for a few days and already you have progress, he has gone in front of you thumbs up That is progress!! You need patience and perseverance and one day it will just click.. When I first started with my girl, I too thought this is never gonna work.. BUT it did.. As for you being so busy, well I have to say I am a single mother, I have a 9 yr old son, and I work alternating days at 2 different jobs.. And yes it was hard to spend all this time training her, but with each trained habit learnt it makes it soo much easier.. It seems hard now as not only are you working and raising a family and training the dog, you are also cleaning up the mess each morning, washing, and having to stand with him outside all the time.. That will all get better, you just need to keep it up.. Don't give up on your dog, he needs you teach him these things..

And just try to think of him like you would if it was your son and he was wetting the bed every night, yes it would get frustrating, but you would just keep trying, and one day it will all just click Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15 2012, 22:09

mattyp wrote:I heared some where that washing powder works to clean it too. Is that right

A solution of biological washing powder (or liquid) works well for completely getting rid of any smells that would attract him back to that spot.

mattyp wrote:Took him for a walk for about 2 hours did 2 wees (treats and loads of praise) no poo when we got back he was tired and fell asleep in his bed i took him in the garden roughley an hour later again he had a wee (treats and praise again) no poo.. Was out side about 15 mins i just feel like im wasting my time he just sits and looks at me. I will try again every hour till i go to bed, i know full well he will poo in his cage again tonight.. Its getting me down Sad

Don't get down! You've made progress, and you'll make even more! Just take it a bit at a time. He will get there, just try to be patient. Easier said than done, I know. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Fri Nov 16 2012, 07:36

SUCCSESS!!! got up this morning to a nice clean cage Smile i let him out he had a wee no poo though but im pleased as hell i preased him to the moon and back Big Grin put him back to bed when i left for work and my partner will be up soon with my son so i hope its clean for her too Smile

hope i havnt spoke too soon lol (touch wood) Wink
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16 2012, 08:03

Great news Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16 2012, 08:49

thumbs up Well Done thats great news!!

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Fri Nov 16 2012, 12:42

thanks every 1. I hope i havnt spoke too soon lol but when my OH got up with my little lad he was still clear Smile
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16 2012, 12:44

mattyp wrote:thanks every 1. I hope i havnt spoke too soon lol but when my OH got up with my little lad he was still clear Smile

thumbs up Fingers, toes & everything else crossed! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16 2012, 12:49

Caryll wrote:
mattyp wrote:thanks every 1. I hope i havnt spoke too soon lol but when my OH got up with my little lad he was still clear Smile

thumbs up Fingers, toes & everything else crossed! Big Grin

Same goes here, I hope it gets a little easier from here on.. Just remember, IF he has a relapse, act like nothing has happened and clean it up properly and just persevere with what you have been doing.. But everything crossed that he keeps up with the clean crate Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Fri Nov 16 2012, 14:38

Great to hear, keep up the good work and hope it continues. Don't lose heart if you take any steps back..just keep on trucking with it!!! Really pleased for you!!
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down