Do you agree with Ceasar Millan's training methods?

+8
Panda
les0790
Rachel33
Koyah.16
PygmyParrot
Kathy
pongy
miss_yell
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you agree with Ceasar Millan's training methods? Empty Do you agree with Ceasar Millan's training methods?

Post by miss_yell Thu Oct 25 2012, 11:41

I used to love this man but ever since I watched this footage my mind has completely changed. How many of you agree/disagree with him and why?

https://www.youtube.com/v/KuinToBgUco
miss_yell
miss_yell
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Do you agree with Ceasar Millan's training methods? Empty Re: Do you agree with Ceasar Millan's training methods?

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 11:42

short answer is NO i cant stand the fool angry

Back to top Go down

Do you agree with Ceasar Millan's training methods? Empty Re: Do you agree with Ceasar Millan's training methods?

Post by pongy Thu Oct 25 2012, 11:50

I love all the training video's he does that involes him getting bitten rolling on the floor but if i was walking down the street and saw someone following his kicking methods i would tell them its wrong and someone better be ready to kick me
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by miss_yell Thu Oct 25 2012, 11:53

bigwazza wrote:short answer is NO i cant stand the fool angry
Im glad some people agree with me! lol has anyone seen the article on the mail online.
So many people agreeing with him and reporting anyone who disagrees Ive had loads of comments removed! Ridiculous!http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2222724/Titchmarsh-savages-dog-trainer-caused-TV-outcry-unconventional-techniques-rehabilitate-ill-disciplined-dogs.html
miss_yell
miss_yell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by miss_yell Thu Oct 25 2012, 11:54

dave742 wrote:I love all the training video's he does that involes him getting bitten rolling on the floor but if i was walking down the street and saw someone following his kicking methods i would tell them its wrong and someone better be ready to kick me

Same here!!
miss_yell
miss_yell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 11:54

Can't stand him.

Back to top Go down

Post by miss_yell Thu Oct 25 2012, 11:56

Caryll wrote:Can't stand him.
How the hell can booting dogs help them?!?! at wits end

Horrid little man he is frustrated
miss_yell
miss_yell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Oct 25 2012, 11:59

In answer to your question, NO I cant stand him either he makes me want to banghead banghead banghead
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:00

no i dont agree with him. his methods work yes, but because he bullies the dogs. we are not a dog, so can not assume the "alpha" role. yes, we can tell our dogs how we expect them to behave, but it works better with mutual training rather than fear.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:00

I don't doubt that he loves dogs & has a certain 'affinity' with them, but his methods are outdated & often cruel. He isn't open about his methods, either, which I find totally reprehensible. If he feels his nethods are right, he should be prepared to be open about them & back them up with facts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:06

NO NO NO!!! Can't stand the him.. Stupid, cruel and pointless.. The worst thing is he is making MILLIONS! I hope his pack turns on him and puts him back below the red line Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:08

Couldn't agree more!

Back to top Go down

Post by miss_yell Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:16

Glad we are all of a like mind!
miss_yell
miss_yell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:18

Caryll wrote:I don't doubt that he loves dogs & has a certain 'affinity' with them, but his methods are outdated & often cruel. He isn't open about his methods, either, which I find totally reprehensible. If he feels his nethods are right, he should be prepared to be open about them & back them up with facts.

I dont think he can back them up Caryl, he is an uneducated *.. He just has the knack with dogs and the worst thing is if he would actually stop trying to be the "pack leader" and learnt from some more knowledgable dog trainers and behavourists, he would be an absolutely amazing trainer and handler..

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:30

Kat75 wrote:NO NO NO!!! Can't stand the him.. Stupid, cruel and pointless.. The worst thing is he is making MILLIONS! I hope his pack turns on him and puts him back below the red line Laughing

The question is if his pack turned on him and went for his neck or his soft belly under his ribs, would he still be saying it works to shock the brain? no he would be screaming dangerous dog when its his methods that can totally push a dog over that edge,but thats just my opinion. I think he is as fake as his teeth Laughing
pongy
pongy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by miss_yell Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:40

dave742 wrote:
Kat75 wrote:NO NO NO!!! Can't stand the him.. Stupid, cruel and pointless.. The worst thing is he is making MILLIONS! I hope his pack turns on him and puts him back below the red line Laughing

The question is if his pack turned on him and went for his neck or his soft belly under his ribs, would he still be saying it works to shock the brain? no he would be screaming dangerous dog when its his methods that can totally push a dog over that edge,but thats just my opinion. I think he is as fake as his teeth Laughing

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor
miss_yell
miss_yell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:47

I've just posted about him in the news section. I had never watched him until seeing a video on the forum - that totally stunned me. He is much too physical with dogs, his whole focus on them 'submitting' is bordering on the insane.

There will always be mixed opinions on this chap, and those who have had success but my concern is you may be able to force a dog to do what you want it to, but surely that doesn't make the methods right? I want my dog to respect me, not fear me. Respect and love will always work better in my opinion. Dogs have a huge sense of what is fair and what is not.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 100

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:50

miss_yell wrote:
dave742 wrote:

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Laughing rolling on the floor rolling on the floor Well said!! I agree he is walking a thin dangerous line..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:58

PygmyParrot wrote:I've just posted about him in the news section. I had never watched him until seeing a video on the forum - that totally stunned me. He is much too physical with dogs, his whole focus on them 'submitting' is bordering on the insane.

I accidently stumbled upon on of his shows as I was channel surfing, and only caught my eye because he has same great looking dogs, started watching and just got hooked on watching a few eps as I just kept thinking "This ones gonna bite him" Laughing

There will always be mixed opinions on this chap, and those who have had success but my concern is you may be able to force a dog to do what you want it to, but surely that doesn't make the methods right? I want my dog to respect me, not fear me. Respect and love will always work better in my opinion. Dogs have a huge sense of what is fair and what is not.

Dogs do need love and respect, but they do need firm, dominant training too.. I don't disagree with the end result just his methods.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 13:00

Kat75 wrote:Dogs do need love and respect, but they do need firm, dominant training too.. I don't disagree with the end result just his methods.

It depends on what you mean by 'dominant' training?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 13:07

Caryll wrote:
Kat75 wrote:Dogs do need love and respect, but they do need firm, dominant training too.. I don't disagree with the end result just his methods.

It depends on what you mean by 'dominant' training?

I guess wrongly worded.. I mean they need to know that your in charge, your the boss.. Maybe strict training would have read better.. Strong, consistent, not abusive in any way physical or mentally I can't stand his stare down methods Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Oct 25 2012, 13:08

No I agree, but I would be no more dominant with Dexter than I would with my children. A firm no and a timeout. Those stare downs are awful aren't they.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Koyah.16 Thu Oct 25 2012, 13:09

I really don't agree with any training methods that involve animals been hit or touched in anyway I don't agree with any animal being hit its morally wrong . I just don't agree with handles full stop as I had taken koyah to a dog trainer and I regret as he man handled her and she ended up hurt and at the vets Sad so wrong .

Lizanne x

Koyah.16
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koyah, Xena , Rascal , Dior
Dog(s) Ages : koyahs 2 , xenas 1 , rascals 9 , diors 3
Dog Gender(s) : female, female , male , female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Oct 25 2012, 13:10

Koyah.16 wrote:I really don't agree with any training methods that involve animals been hit or touched in anyway I don't agree with any animal being hit its morally wrong . I just don't agree with handles full stop as I had taken koyah to a dog trainer and I regret as he man handled her and she ended up hurt and at the vets Sad so wrong .

Lizanne x

This sounds awful Sad
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Thu Oct 25 2012, 13:20

I have only ever had 3 dogs in my life,a cross breed (100 choices of breed lol) a bc and now Cassie so i am no expert but i think that to respect your pet breeds respect,i have never kicked my children but they do as their told (not as often as cassie does lol)there is no place for kicking,punching or holding a dogs face down to the ground,love, patience and cuddles works and withdraw the cuddles as punishment, they learn too quickly for physical treatment and deserve better.
pongy
pongy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Oct 25 2012, 13:27

Also just commented on this on another post. As said previously I would never use his methods on my own dogs and think that he is far too physical in his training. I agree with his basic theories of exercise, discipline and affection but that's all.

However, I will say that some of the "pure positive" trainers/behaviourists that are making these hate groups against Millan, I have met and watched working and they would not stand it if they were handed anything more than a pet labrador or a spaniel to work with. If I put them into a kennel with one of my ex fighting dogs they would run for the hills screaming with their treat bags and clickers and sentence them to death. I use food for training a lot, but with some dogs you do have to use different methods.

As far as I'm concerned, if the outcome is a well balanced, confident, happy dog it doesn't matter how you train to get to that point, as long as you're not hurting the animal in the mean time.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by les0790 Thu Oct 25 2012, 14:29

His methods are right, but he should be kicking the stupid owners, not the dogs.

les0790

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : SKY
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : BITCH
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by miss_yell Thu Oct 25 2012, 15:06

Koyah.16 wrote:I really don't agree with any training methods that involve animals been hit or touched in anyway I don't agree with any animal being hit its morally wrong . I just don't agree with handles full stop as I had taken koyah to a dog trainer and I regret as he man handled her and she ended up hurt and at the vets Sad so wrong .

Lizanne x

Who hurt my angel Koyah??!! waiting

I'll show him man handling feeling beat up
miss_yell
miss_yell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by miss_yell Thu Oct 25 2012, 15:09

Rachel33 wrote:Also just commented on this on another post. As said previously I would never use his methods on my own dogs and think that he is far too physical in his training. I agree with his basic theories of exercise, discipline and affection but that's all.

However, I will say that some of the "pure positive" trainers/behaviourists that are making these hate groups against Millan, I have met and watched working and they would not stand it if they were handed anything more than a pet labrador or a spaniel to work with. If I put them into a kennel with one of my ex fighting dogs they would run for the hills screaming with their treat bags and clickers and sentence them to death. I use food for training a lot, but with some dogs you do have to use different methods.

As far as I'm concerned, if the outcome is a well balanced, confident, happy dog it doesn't matter how you train to get to that point, as long as you're not hurting the animal in the mean time.

Ex fighting dogs? Surprised
miss_yell
miss_yell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 15:29

I'll just say no, but for many reasons

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 15:30

miss_yell wrote:
Rachel33 wrote:Also just commented on this on another post. As said previously I would never use his methods on my own dogs and think that he is far too physical in his training. I agree with his basic theories of exercise, discipline and affection but that's all.

Chance is an ex fighting dog, and has been very rough treated and is consequently very people aggressive, but can you blame him?

If i were to try and use CM methods, i may be able to get away with without a bite, could anyone else? never in a million years.

Back to top Go down

Post by miss_yell Thu Oct 25 2012, 15:51

ella wrote:
miss_yell wrote:

Chance is an ex fighting dog, and has been very rough treated and is consequently very people aggressive, but can you blame him?

If i were to try and use CM methods, i may be able to get away with without a bite, could anyone else? never in a million years.

Aww poor chance Sad Glad he's loved now though!
CM is just creating accidents waiting to happen Rolling Eyes
miss_yell
miss_yell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Oct 25 2012, 16:02

ella wrote:
miss_yell wrote:

Nope don't blame him at all! You know that Biscuit is also people aggressive, and I would never ever use Cesar Millans methods with her or any other dogs that I work with. All I was getting at is that training is never a one size fits all, and a lot of the hype around is that trainers want everything to be "pure positive" but I really do not believe that this works with all dogs. Was just using fighting dogs as an example, because if I went into a kennel with one of my lot when they first came in shaking a bag of treats at them they would have eaten me alive!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 16:03

miss_yell wrote:
ella wrote:
miss_yell wrote:

Aww poor chance Sad Glad he's loved now though!
CM is just creating accidents waiting to happen Rolling Eyes

thanks Smile

I think too many people copy him, and to many accidents have already happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 16:04

Rachel33 wrote:
ella wrote:
miss_yell wrote:

Nope don't blame him at all! You know that Biscuit is also people aggressive, and I would never ever use Cesar Millans methods with her or any other dogs that I work with. All I was getting at is that training is never a one size fits all, and a lot of the hype around is that trainers want everything to be "pure positive" but I really do not believe that this works with all dogs. Was just using fighting dogs as an example, because if I went into a kennel with one of my lot when they first came in shaking a bag of treats at them they would have eaten me alive!

I was just using chance as an example hun, I know it's not a one size fits all definitely not, but still don't agree with his methods though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Oct 25 2012, 16:07

Ooooh okay haha! Nah me either.. scary how many people do though huh!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 16:11

sure is scary Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 16:15

Rachel33 wrote:

But there you have it "as long as you're not hurting the animal". It's my opinion that his methods not only physically hurt dogs, but mentally hurt them as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Oct 25 2012, 16:27

No, I totally agree, he turns his dogs into robots. I've just also had negative experiences with the positive brigade of trainers. I've found that they feel that their way is the only way, and it would be better to have a dog destroyed than try other methods if theirs aren't working. Methods that would not be in any way detrimental to a dogs well being, but not their usual way of working. That's just my two cents though, and only from personal experience, not fact.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 17:08

I'm a great believer in positive reinforcement, but you can't train with that alone. You need negative reinforcement as well - not negative punishment!

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Thu Oct 25 2012, 21:07

His training methods are cruel, nothing more to be said by me.

Anne
Panda
Panda
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Oct 25 2012, 22:14

Completely agree Caryll Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Oct 25 2012, 22:35

Hes not that bad, his general methods are okay but for targeted problems i find he lacks. But..he earns alot of money training dogs and i dont.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 22:49

I've only ever watched little bits of the Dog Whisperer, so am not really qualified to comment, but surely kicking dogs in the abdomen is WRONG WRONG WRONG. Haven't watched the Titchmarsh programme yesterday either (I hardly ever watch TV) but have heard about it, good for you Titchy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 23:20

dave742 wrote:I have only ever had 3 dogs in my life,a cross breed (100 choices of breed lol) a bc and now Cassie so i am no expert but i think that to respect your pet breeds respect,i have never kicked my children but they do as their told (not as often as cassie does lol)there is no place for kicking,punching or holding a dogs face down to the ground,love, patience and cuddles works and withdraw the cuddles as punishment, they learn too quickly for physical treatment and deserve better.

Yep that's like me I still have my training wheels on when it comes to dogs, I would be lost without the forum Smile That's why we r here, to learn from people who have more experience than us..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 23:54

I used to believe in that pack leader stuff, but I don't think I do now. There's a woman whose site I follow, and she trained her Boxer and APBT using the same idea that dogs need a pack leader and you need to be assertive, but she never used shock collars, never kicked the dog, etc. She just used tone and body language to show she was in charge. And it worked, her dogs are incredibly well-behaved and loving and happy. So I don't believe in his harsh methods, but I do believe that he is trying to help dogs and isn't doing it to be cruel. And I also think that the thing he tries to tell owners about not treating their dog as a human and to put their dog needs first is good. Just don't like the harshness of some of his ways of dealing with things.

Also, I think there are plenty of different ways of training dogs, so different methods work for different owners (and it would depend on the individual dog). I mean, mums will get a bit physical with their puppies if they step out of line, won't they? So I get trainers like him trying to re-create how it is in the dog world, but I reckon the vast majority of being "told off" in the dog world is about tone and body language, so even if you believe in having to be the dominant pack leader, you can do so without hurting your dog (physically or mentally).

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Fri Oct 26 2012, 05:51

There is a guy in my local park with a staffy aggressive staffy who uses CM's "techniques" badly, they never work on his dog or on mine when he tried and that is just a pure example of how CM's "advice" could get ppl in trouble as this guy seems pretty clueless - even to me.
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26 2012, 06:51

never paid any attention to them other than seeing a couple of videos on here and thinking in summary "idiot"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26 2012, 13:15

Caryll wrote:I'm a great believer in positive reinforcement, but you can't train with that alone. You need negative reinforcement as well - not negative punishment!

That's a great way to say it Smile I like that one.

Back to top Go down

Post by bullsmommy1 Fri Oct 26 2012, 16:00

im going to say... i love the guy. ok his methods are a little ruough, But i dont think in the seasons ive watched that ive actually seen one dog yelp/scream in pain,? (am i wrong)? also IF he was Such an awful trainer, why has he managed 9 series? and in them 9 series i dont think he failed to fix ONE case.. i say think, as i havent yet completed watching all series. BUT if someone can come accross a video where a dog yelps from his 'touch; method. i'll happily agree that he is causing them harm.
bullsmommy1
bullsmommy1

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bulley, major & kaiser
Dog(s) Ages : 10,13 & 5months
Dog Gender(s) : all male
Support total : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next