Introducing dog to pup.

3 posters

Go down

Introducing dog to pup. Empty Introducing dog to pup.

Post by Danibeex Sun Aug 26 2012, 15:20

I'm due to pick up my new pup in 2 weeks time and I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to introduce my parents staffy to our pup whilst he's young?
Odin is nearly 5 and he's a big sweetheart but he was a rescue dog and is very protective of the whole family especially my 2 year old. He does sometimes have issues with other dogs. It seems to be mostly when he's on a lead and the other dog isn't. He wears a muzzle when he goes out (mainly because of other owners just allowing their dog to run up to him) I still lived at home when we got him and just love him to bits. I'd love for them both to be able to get on well so we can take them on walks together.
I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to when the best time to introduce them to each other would be and how to go about the first meeting?
Also our pup is male, I've heard that dogs seem to get on better with bitches but Odin has been neutered so would it make a difference?

Thanks
Danibeex
Danibeex
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Conan
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Introducing dog to pup. Empty Re: Introducing dog to pup.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26 2012, 15:25

The fact his been neutered will help, plus the fact a male pup is no threat to him he should be ok, but just play it by ear, you know Odin better than us.

Personally i would advise once your pups home dont introduce him straight away, take over some of your pups slept in bedding each time you go visit your parents, this way Odin gets use to the pups scent and is likely to accepted him more readily Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26 2012, 22:06

Getting him used to the scent will be very helpfull. If you can introduce them before hand that would also be good. If the pup is old enough to go for a walk do that before taking them inside. Try not to fuss over the pup too much when you get him home either to prevent jealousy and make sure to supervise them when they are together.

Back to top Go down

Post by agriff Mon Aug 27 2012, 20:12

Hi let the puppy's sleep on a fleece cover for a week then took it home and let my dog sniff the sent of the puppy's then was lucky anoth that the breeder let the puppy in the garden in a enclosed pen then let my dog come into her garden and meet the puppy , done this two time then took are dog over with us to pick up the puppy this seemed to help was not such a shock when there were at home together , make sure that you go through the door first then your dog then the puppy good luck I am sure it will be great
agriff
agriff
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Introducing dog to pup. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : ice & blue ( basil)
Dog Gender(s) : bitch & male
Support total : 68

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Tue Aug 28 2012, 17:53

I agree with Denise. So much depends on the individual dogs and their personalities. That will apply to both the pup and the older dog. Sounds like exciting times no matter what! I also agree with the scent thing. Letting them get familiar with each-others' scent might help a bit.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down