Introducing a new Dog

Go down

Introducing a new Dog Empty Introducing a new Dog

Post by Irene Fri Dec 02 2011, 21:11

Hello All

Zac is only 12 weeks old and life is very busy with an energetic and curious puppy Smile I dont want to get another dog just yet, but I think it would be nice to get a companion for Zac at some point in the future.

I was just wondering if those of you with two or more could let me know when you introduced a new addition and how it went. Also if I got a dog as oppose to a bitch whether there would potentially be problems with dominance? Sorry if that is a stupid question, but having never had two together I thought I would ask those of you who do Smile

Thanks all Irene x

Irene
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zac
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Introducing a new Dog Empty Re: Introducing a new Dog

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02 2011, 21:17

when we looked into getting another we were told that because we had a boy and he was 10 months we would be better getting a female that was a bit older than him because aparently females are the dominent ones. we were advised never to put 2 same sex dogs together but lots of people on here have same sex dogs and dont have any problems. also Lemmy is intact and has never once tried it on with Lottie she plays his mum sometimes the way she acts with him and she has never had pups and has been spayed

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Fri Dec 02 2011, 21:36

Thanks for the reply Julie Smile I did wonder whether it would be better to get an older bitch who would mother him LOL ...

How did you go about getting your girl if you dont mind me asking? xx

Irene

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02 2011, 21:42

we just looked round a few rescue centres and talked to the people but none of the dogs really jumped out untill I saw Lottie and her story was nothing we couldnt work with some of the dogs its just managing the behaviour but Lottie we knew we could turn around. I dont see the point in rescueing if you cant work with the dog because then it wouldnt really fit into the fmaily properly. I wanted a dog that one day I knew would be happy. Thats where communication between you and the centre is crutial.

We went to see her first and liked her then we took Lemmy to see her cos if they didnt get on then we couldnt have her. Luckily they were ok and so we brought her home the same day and they have grown closer since. At first we kept them a part at night when there was no one to supervise but after a week or so we tried them in together and they loved it they sleep in the same bed now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Fri Dec 02 2011, 21:49

Thats such a lovely story and its so great that Lemmy and Lottie get on so well xx My previous staff used to stay with my inlaws when we went on holiday and they had an older bitch and he loved her so much, I think he thought she was his mum, they used to sleep together as well, it was so sweet xx

Irene

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content