nervous about the car STILL!

5 posters

Go down

nervous about the car STILL! Empty nervous about the car STILL!

Post by asa-james Wed Aug 15 2012, 22:15

following on from this thread,

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19446-nervous-and-panicking-in-the-car

i've tried pretty much everything now, i take her out for short trips, loads of praise once we are there, and back home, ive had her in the car for a 2 1/2 hour drive where she "shivered" and panted the entire journey (but once at the campsite, preferred to chill in the car with the door open than sit on the grass with me!), ive left her in the car for a minute while ive gone into a shop, come back to find her huddled up in the drivers footwell shaking uncontrollably, and its now got to the point, i'll walk out of the house, call Lola to follow, and as soon as i open the door on the car (where she used to jump straight in) she turns, runs and hides in the house, so i have to carry her to the car. once she is back out of the car, 10 seconds and its normal Lola, not bothered in the slightest, its just while she is in the car with the doors closed (and ive tried with windows and sunroof down, music on and off, different driving styles...)

its getting a bit of a nusiance now, as when i go out i like to take her with me as much as possible, and before the crash she would happily go anywhere without batting an eyelid in the car. and most of the places i take her are FOR her (the beach, forests, parks etc) so i want her to have a good time the whole day, not just the middle bit!

ive still yet to try a thundershirt (funding issues...) but the shaking is so bad i'm struggling to see if it would help

any ideas? will be going to the vets in a few weeks anyway for a quick checkover (in the car...) so i will speak to them then
asa-james
asa-james
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

nervous about the car STILL! Empty Re: nervous about the car STILL!

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 01:46

Have you tried putting a blanket or something that she'd like in the boot of the car (if you can put her in there) along with a toy or bone or Kong or something that she'd like? It might distract her a bit then, and also help her see that being in the car isn't a bad thing because she'll be in a comfy place with food or toys. I mean, Loki's first car ride he was nice and happy, so I can't comment on experience, but that's what I've read about introducing dogs to new things in general, so it's the first thing that came to mind.

Also, I don't think carrying her to the car is a good idea. Obviously if she won't go in the car you don't have a choice, but I mean that putting her in the car against her will could probably exacerbate her sense of nervousness. Is there anything at all you can coax her with to get in on her own? Get her absolute favourite, most amazing thing in the world and see if that'll get her to get in on her own, maybe?

Oh, and I read the other thread you posted about it to get a bit more info, and you shouldn't really pet a dog when it's scared or nervous, because it's kind of like you're telling them you're happy with how they're feeling, which can make them feel even more uneasy. They react better when they feel that you're not scared. Whenever she's scared, basically just ignore her and try to feel calm and like your normal self. I know it goes completely against instinct to not comfort your scared dog, but dogs are different to people in that way, unfortunately. Loki's been scared of rain, thunder, window wipers, buses, lorries, carpets, etc., but he's gotten over them because we made him see there was nothing to fuss about.

Anyway, that's all the advice I can think of, so not sure if it's any help, but I hope you are able to help her with her nervousness Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Aug 16 2012, 12:52

This has probably already been mentioned but have you tried just sitting with her in the car without going anywhere.

Just go and get in the car without the engine running to see what happens then. Just remain stationary for a few minutes then get out. Then try about 5 minutes and keep building up the amount of time you remain sitting there.

Then do the same with the engine running without moving and build up the time again. If all this goes well try very short journeys, just a few minutes and build up the time yet again.

I hope you find a method that works for you, good luck.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Helenhb Sun Aug 19 2012, 08:15

Just read your old thread, so I know this is not the same but might help.
When I picked Blake up from the rescue centre I really did wonder what I had done!!! He went mad in the car barking running round in circles going totally mad.
This I hoped was just a one off as we were new to each other, but no he was the same every time. If he was restrained he would shake and or bark.
So I would take him out to the car with out saying much open one back door and leave through the other side of the car then walk round the block going back through the car on the way into the house ( with your dog this may tike you quite sometime as the dog needs to enter the car without you carrying her bribe with food if you need to but she must decide to enter)
I would also get in the boot with him to sit and read my book for 10mins or so. Drive round the block and back home without anything good or bad happening for him. Putting him in the car for a drive after a long walk. Having done this for a week or two he is now great in the car sitting in the back with the kids or in boot. Sorry its so long but hope this helps you and Lola x
Helenhb
Helenhb
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Blake
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 08:19

sounds like some good advice Helen and pleased its worked for you , anything is worth trying to help people. Ours settled as soon as the y realised a car journey didnt always end up at the vets , though Tilly is still a bit of a wimp at times she is 10000 times better than she used to be

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Mon Aug 20 2012, 20:33

I have a thundershirt for scooby as he doesn't travel well, it has made a huge difference, when we first got him he would drool and be sick even after 10 mins, i only use it for long journeys now
kate32
kate32
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Aug 22 2012, 12:18

I am having the same issues with Ledger he was fine until about 2 months ago now if I am trying to get him into the boot (his space, carpeted with a large bed and cushions) from home or my parents he shakes violently and will not get himself into the car the only thing that now works is someone getting into the back seat and calling him which isnt practical when Im on my own. He will however happily get into the front or back seat and even into the boot of my dads car so all we can think is he is associating the boot with me dropping him off at my parents when I go to work!

Its a long process but I am trying the sitting with him in the car and have started driving to the park so he has short journeys to fun places and I have also got some adaptil spray which does calm him down during a longer journey. And when we are coming back from the fun places he does get in the back without encouragement but still having issues from home so I understand your frustration sometimes there is no option but to pick him up and put him in there. Im debating whether to just get a decent harness and have him in the seats but the whole point of me getting this car was the boot space when he gets mucky.
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down