nervous and panicking in the car

2 posters

Go down

nervous and panicking in the car Empty nervous and panicking in the car

Post by asa-james Sun Jun 03 2012, 19:58

i was in a car accident three weeks ago, with Lola in the car (hit from the rear, car written off) on the day, Lola was obviously shake up but showed no physical signs of injury, so i just kept a watchful eye on her, how she ate etc and she was fine. i left it a week before i had her in the car again, but when i did she was ok, just curled up on the seat and fell asleep as she always has done. ive had her out a few times since, and up until yesterday it was business as usual. i put Lola in the car and drove the ten minutes to work to pick some bits up, and within a mile from the house she was panting rapidly and shaking all over (was grey, cool and miserable over here so no chance of being too hot) i drove easily, talking to her and petting her to reassure her, but she wouldnt settle. on the way back, i had to pull the car over and hold her to calm her down, she was panting, short of breath, drooling (which she never ever does) and really shaking. i managed to get her calm enough to continue, and once she was home and out of the car she was fine again, just happy bouncy Lola.

i chanced it again last night, thinking it could have been a one off, and took her with me to a friends house, a 15 minute drive. she was panting and shaking all the way there, usual self all evening, then panting and shaking all the way home. ive had her with me for a quick drive today, and although not as bad as yesterday, she was still shaking and panting until she was back out of the car.

has anyone experianced this before? i dont know if its a knock on from the accident, or a reaction to the sudden weather change or i dont know what else. i'll be keeping an eye on her, and if it continues much longer i'll be heading for the vets to get her checked over (they were brilliant when i moved house with her and she went from being paired to a single dog)

sorry its a long one Big Grin
asa-james
asa-james
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

nervous and panicking in the car Empty Re: nervous and panicking in the car

Post by Kathy Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:07

I dont know what the problem is hopefully someone will be along shortly who does.

However whenever Rocky goes in the car he is hyper from the second he gets in to the second he gets out. We have now got some DAP spray which we put on the car seats and his blanket in the car. See the link below:

http://www.medicines4pets.co.uk/shop/dap-spray-60.html

This works for us.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:15

Charlie is the same on a bus. He pants and breathes fast and heavily and whines. But he's always been like that, so it's not the same as your situation.

It sounds to me like it is a result of the accident. Understandably, car journeys may now make her nervous. I'm not sure how you can deal with it really, the DAP spray may help her relax though.

Good luck, and I'm glad you were both ok after the accident Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:34

not so sure its linked to the accident as you say she was ok straight after and think it could be more weather related. tilly used to be the same every time in the car and much better if someone wad in the back cuddling her. we went on a long trip to cornwall and she was much more settled and has been mostly recently but for the last 2 weeks has been very unsettled in the car. i would try this dap spray and see how it goes dont see a vet trip needed if she is ok everywhere else. maybe if things dont improve i suppose its possible she couldhave some kind of aftershock, you might want to try a thunder shirt ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:35

A thundershirt is a good idea, Vanessa swears by them for Jethro when he's nervous. Could well be worth a try.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:38

Ooooo good one i'd forgotten about the thundershirt, yes may well be worth a try. thumbs up
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:50

sorry if this is wrong as im posting from my mobile please see below the beautiful izzy demonstrating the thundershirt
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12201-izzy-s-thundershirt?highlight=thundershirt

i could have posted tilly but that would be biased:)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 23:21

A thudershirt or spray could be helpfull. Suki has always been over energetic in the car so we have just gotten used to it

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down