My puppies size

2 posters

Go down

My puppies size Empty My puppies size

Post by Miranda Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:20

Hi all!
I have a male staffy named Coby. He's 10 months old and although he's still growing taller and filling out, I'm not sure if he's as big as he should be. We had him de-sexed at 3 months old and wondering if that has affected his size or if I should just give it more time?? Does having males de-sexed usually affect their size?

Moved your post to Health Issues, you will hopefully get a reply there.

Last edited by kathytake2 on Fri Jul 20 2012, 12:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved post to health issues)
Miranda
Miranda
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Coby
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My puppies size Empty Re: My puppies size

Post by Rachb26 Fri Jul 20 2012, 12:06

Hello Smile

Staffs aren't actually that big. They are classed as a medium sized dog (whatever that means lol) and Coby still has a lot of growing to do yet! Generally they stop 'growing' at 18mths - 2 years but still 'fill out' up to 3 years.

I've heard people say neutering early can stunt growth somewhat but as each dog is individual how in all honesty could you tell? There's so many variables such as food, exercise, genetics etc. Having said that, I won't be getting mine done till she's over 2. But for other reasons.

He looks like a lovely boy in your avatar and is perfect the way he is Smile
Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 12:18

A Stafford gets its height by 10 mths not 18 Rach Smile

The knobbly knee affect you see on a pup/young dogs front legs are infact its growth plates. While the front legs still look like they have knobbly knees then your dogs not reached its final height, if the front legs have smoothed out the full adult height has been reached.
Growing in width and a bit of fine tuning carries on till your dogs 3 yrs old.

Sorry to go off on one there Miranda, but answer to your question is your boy has his height, has desexing early stunted his growth ... well thats debate-able as some will say yes and others no.
What i do know is as he was desexed at such a young age he may retain his puppy looks and not a macho male look that the hormone testosterone gives in an intacted male. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Jul 20 2012, 12:29

Denise wrote:A Stafford gets its height by 10 mths not 18 Rach Smile

The knobbly knee affect you see on a pup/young dogs front legs are infact its growth plates. While the front legs still look like they have knobbly knees then your dogs not reached its final height, if the front legs have smoothed out the full adult height has been reached.
Growing in width and a bit of fine tuning carries on till your dogs 3 yrs old.

Sorry to go off on one there Miranda, but answer to your question is your boy has his height, has desexing early stunted his growth ... well thats debate-able as some will say yes and others no.
What i do know is as he was desexed at such a young age he may retain his puppy looks and not a macho male look that the hormone testosterone gives in an intacted male. Smile

Haha! Sure I was told it's 18 months for height! Oh well.

Yeah agree about the puppish/feminine look - seen it with my own eyes between two mastiff brothers.
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 12:56

As far as I'm aware, early neutering makes the growth plates close at a later date ans so the dog may become taller & narrower than he would otherwise have been. Also, at that young an age (3 months Surprised ) he will probably never be a very masculine looking male.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 13:48

Im sure he is fine. desexing will mean he wont have the normal testosterone so he won't bulk out as much in muscle so may look leaner than a male usually would, but it shouldn't effect his actual HEIGHT

Back to top Go down

Post by Miranda Sat Jul 21 2012, 08:22

Thank you folks, all your replies were very helpful! I'm not too worried about the fact Coby may not look like a macho male because he's a big softie anyway! But I am glad to hear he's got much more growing ahead of him. He's sire was quite a large staffy and I had been hoping Coby was going to be similar in size so I'll keep watching for those knees to smoothe out!! And thank you Rach, I think he's perfect too Smile
Miranda
Miranda

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Coby
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down