Dogs Name(s) : Orson
Dog(s) Ages : 2 Years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

What does the size mean Empty Re: What does the size mean

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 13:37

Hi & What does the size mean Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

What does the size mean Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
What does the size mean Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
What does the size mean Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
What does the size mean Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
What does the size mean Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
What does the size mean Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 13:41

That is outside of the standard. Without papers he is most likely a cross but if the authorities have deemed him a Staffy and not a type there should'nt be any issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by GQ Man Thu May 17 2012, 14:09

jstaff wrote:That is outside of the standard. Without papers he is most likely a cross but if the authorities have deemed him a Staffy and not a type there should'nt be any issues.

You are right their are many Staff/crosses that are of similar size to what ive stated but not when they are pure Staff, these peoples (years experience) especially the Police Officer who's main job is to travel around the Kennels 'Typing Dogs' if they all say its Pure Staff im pretty certain it is they know their stuff, so how comes he's turned out this big that my conundrum i just thought that someone possibly might be able to shed some light as he's definitely not been crossed. well as definite as any professional could be.

GQ Man
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu May 17 2012, 14:13

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Good on you for taking him on, wow he sounds like a big boy. Could you post any pictures we'd love to see him.

See link below for how to post pics on the forum:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12018-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 14:14

If two large dogs are bred the pups will be large sometimes larger. people seem to be breeding either miniture type staffs or very large types that look like pitbulls but can still be KC reg as stafs. This dog is probably a pup from someone who is breeding for size not breed spec.

Back to top Go down

Post by GQ Man Thu May 17 2012, 14:15

You are right their are many Staff/crosses that are of similar size to what ive stated but not when they are pure Staff, these peoples (years experience) especially the Police Officer who's main job is to travel around the Kennels 'Typing Dogs' if they all say its Pure Staff im pretty certain he is they know their stuff, so how comes he's turned out this big as he's definitely not been crossed. well as definite as any professional could be. i say again none of them had ever seen a pure Staff this big they are all quite shocked by this, after all their years they though they'd seen it all relating to Staffs and the like.

Last edited by GQ Man on Thu May 17 2012, 14:17; edited 1 time in total

GQ Man

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 14:17

17-18" is absolutely not the Standard for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The AKC standard for the SBT is 14-16" at the shoulders and 28-38lbs (about 13-17kg). You can see more about the breed standard here: http://www.staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/kennelclubbreedstandard.html or here: http://www.akc.org/breeds/staffordshire_bull_terrier/index.cfm

All that means is that your dog is probably not a pure bred SBT, doesn't mean he isn't going to make a great pet, though!

Last edited by CatStina on Thu May 17 2012, 14:35; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 14:30

It's impossible for anyone to say with absolute certainty that he is a 'pure' stafford. He may well look pure, but who knows what may have been in his lineage a few generations back?

There is a staff on this forum whose great grandfather was a mastiff - he looks every inch a stafford, but he's huge! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steveb Thu May 17 2012, 14:42

CatStina wrote:17-18" is absolutely not the Standard for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The AKC standard for the SBT is 14-16" at the shoulders and 28-38lbs (about 13-17kg). You can see more about the breed standard here: http://www.staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/kennelclubbreedstandard.html or here: http://www.akc.org/breeds/staffordshire_bull_terrier/index.cfm

All that means is that your dog is not a pure bred SBT, doesn't mean he isn't going to make a great pet, though!

Sorry (i'm half asleep) are you referring to the 22 inch height or 17 to 18. I agree that at 22 inches the dog is most likely crossed (almost definately) but I guess it wouldn't be impossible for two above standard staffs to throw a particularly large one everyonce in a while. However, if you are refering to the 17 to 18 inches (which I don't think you are) then I would disagree and say whilst they are a little above standard height there are many pure bred Staffies that fit into this range.

Steveb
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 14:47

There are dogs above the standard that are pure bred, but if you have a 22" dog without papers, you can probably assume that dog is not a pure bred Stafford.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steveb Thu May 17 2012, 15:02

Hi Castina that's what I thought you meant (but wasn't sure) and quite agree.

Steveb

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 15:34

Caryll wrote:It's impossible for anyone to say with absolute certainty that he is a 'pure' stafford. He may well look pure, but who knows what may have been in his lineage a few generations back?

There is a staff on this forum whose great grandfather was a mastiff - he looks every inch a stafford, but he's huge! Big Grin

That would be my Charlie boy Big Grin
He has similar measurements to the dog you've just taken on GQ, his head is massive, but he has a staff face and he's about 20 inches and I have no idea what he weighs, it was 25 at last check but that was months ago. He is pure muscle now after losing his puppy flab and he has the typical staff temperament. When people see him, they double take, and his size is always commented on. Because I'm used to him, I don't think of him as being that big, but when I have him next to a pure staff, that's when I realise just how huge he is! My boy is a fantastic pet, and I'm sure yours will be too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 17 2012, 15:35

22" bloody that dog will be the size of American bulldog Surprised

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 17 2012, 15:40

Johnson type American bulldogs are 22" to 27"

What does the size mean American_bulldog_15919

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 16:04

Yeah, 22" is labrador size and the size of a small Bullmastiff. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is supposed to be a small-medium sized dog, not a large dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu May 17 2012, 18:21

Jesus, thats one big dog, can we see some pics please Smile rather interested to see a pure staff that large!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 19:37

janey wrote:Jesus, thats one big dog, can we see some pics please Smile rather interested to see a pure staff that large!
It isn't a pure bred just because a police officer said it was. I highly doubt the dog is pure bred at 22".

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Thu May 17 2012, 20:57

hi and welcome.. good on you for rescuing. Post some pics please! I saw the biggest staff ever at a carboot once, I asked the owner what he was crossed with he said he was all staff, he looked all staff but going by the size of him, big and wide, I would have said he was crossed with a bull mastif.
kate32
kate32
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu May 17 2012, 21:15

Wowzers. Big boy. I can't see a staff being that big but abnormalities are possible. You'll likely never know for sure, but he sounds wonderful. Love to see pics! Sounds more like American Bulldog to me, but hey, they are both good breeds.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by GQ Man Thu May 17 2012, 21:24

working on the pics as the only camera ive now got is on an old phone and ive just taken some but they all turned out really blurry.

GQ Man

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu May 17 2012, 21:30

No worries if its blurred, give us some idea of your fella, rather intrigued Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 21:55

Steve wrote:Johnson type American bulldogs are 22" to 27"

What does the size mean American_bulldog_15919

This one looks weird Steve , looks like his head has been photo shopped onto another dog and very badly

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 17 2012, 22:03

http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/breeders/full_listing/1542

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 22:06

don't doubt it's real but just looks weird Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 17 2012, 22:13

the the johnson type plus the photos the johnson type is more bully and more athletic type of american bulldog

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 23:03

I'm not a fan of them. I like the ones like in homeward bound lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 00:32

Equi wrote:I'm not a fan of them. I like the ones like in homeward bound lol
Me, too. I think they are called "Scott Type."

Back to top Go down

Post by brian smith Fri May 18 2012, 01:18

If your not gonna bred or show him, theres nothing to worry about if he isn't a full staff, just enjoy him. At the end of the day all dogs are great when treated with love and respect (and plenty of walks.. lol) Smile

brian smith
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : STAR
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by paul_75 Sat May 19 2012, 13:01

i dont quite get why some are saying a staffy is probably a cross just because its a couple of inches above the breed standard or just because theres no papers? i see plenty of wee neds that clearly have 2 full staffys breeding them and selling the pups without papers, human adults can range anywhere from 3ft right up to 7ft but they are still classed as humans, surely some of these dogs are going to be different hights? iv seen some big german shepards and some fairly small ones yet iv never heard anyone say that gs is a couple of inches above the standard so its a cross, my sister used to have a big female rotty that was bigger than alot of males but was still a full ped rotty
my staff is 17inches to the shoulders, he gets plenty of attention from people that like these type of dogs, infact iv had other staffy owners tell me if they had one like mine they would be breeding from him, i hear people walk past me and comment to their pals that my dog is a belter Laughing

not that im an expert on the matter just putting out my opinion (which is most likely wrong)

paul_75

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat May 19 2012, 17:28

22" is the size of american bulldog Tongues it's very unlikey to be a full staffy

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 17:54

paul_75 wrote:i dont quite get why some are saying a staffy is probably a cross just because its a couple of inches above the breed standard or just because theres no papers? i see plenty of wee neds that clearly have 2 full staffys breeding them and selling the pups without papers, human adults can range anywhere from 3ft right up to 7ft but they are still classed as humans, surely some of these dogs are going to be different hights? iv seen some big german shepards and some fairly small ones yet iv never heard anyone say that gs is a couple of inches above the standard so its a cross, my sister used to have a big female rotty that was bigger than alot of males but was still a full ped rotty
my staff is 17inches to the shoulders, he gets plenty of attention from people that like these type of dogs, infact iv had other staffy owners tell me if they had one like mine they would be breeding from him, i hear people walk past me and comment to their pals that my dog is a belter Laughing

not that im an expert on the matter just putting out my opinion (which is most likely wrong)

When a human is 3 ft they have dwarfism, when theyre 7ft they have giganticsim. You can't say that is the range of humans, because out of the averages they have a condition. this dog does not have a condition. 22" is NOT a full staffy. and people who breed outside of KC reg and claim to have pure dogs are most likely to have a cross breed in the history somewhere which is why they cant/are not KC or the owners didnt reg them cause they couldnt afford to/be bothered to

people are wanting larger staffs now cause they look like pitbulls but are not illegal. staffords should not be very large

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 18:12

The one in homeward bound is a scott type like my Chance who is 25" tall at the moment

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Sat May 19 2012, 18:19

ella wrote:

The one in homeward bound is a scott type like my Chance who is 25" tall at the moment

Think homeward bound one is called chance too!...love those films Smile
kate32
kate32

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 19:36

paul_75 wrote:i dont quite get why some are saying a staffy is probably a cross just because its a couple of inches above the breed standard or just because theres no papers?
22" is not just a couple of inches above the standard, it's 6" above the standard!! 1 or 2" above or below the standard is normal, but 6" is not. 6" is a huge deviation from the standard. If the dog doesn't have papers and is 22" tall it's pretty safe to assume that the dog is a mix and not a pure bred Stafford.

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Sat May 19 2012, 19:49

GQ Man wrote:You are right their are many Staff/crosses that are of similar size to what ive stated but not when they are pure Staff, these peoples (years experience) especially the Police Officer who's main job is to travel around the Kennels 'Typing Dogs' if they all say its Pure Staff im pretty certain he is they know their stuff, so how comes he's turned out this big as he's definitely not been crossed. well as definite as any professional could be. i say again none of them had ever seen a pure Staff this big they are all quite shocked by this, after all their years they though they'd seen it all relating to Staffs and the like.
maybe hes just a freak of nature as in humans u get big people and u get big staffies (and when i say freak i mean no offence to anyone)
willowthewisp
willowthewisp
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
What does the size mean Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by paul_75 Sat May 19 2012, 20:46

i should have been a bit clearer, and should have said i didnt mean this 22inch dog, what i was talking about was when i see people say ones an inch or two above the 14-16inch breed standard or when they say if theres no papers its probably a cross oooppss! just using this post since this is talking about what someone was told was a big staff and i kind of on the same topic (i do highly doubt a 22inch dog is a full staff) thumbs up

paul_75

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat May 19 2012, 21:08

Simply, you can't prove a dogs generation without having the papers (to have papers the dog must be registered), a bit like a car and a log book.

Not saying it can't be pure, but you will never have anything to say otherwise, hence why they are generalised as a cross.

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GQ Man Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:02

anyone tell me how to upload a photo and i can do it now as ive finally borrowed a friends Camera to show you my dog, thx

GQ Man

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:06

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:14

i really wanna see this dog now
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by GQ Man Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:23

Here they are the photos the ones with some guys legs in the shot you will see he comes up to about the guys knees and this guy is 6 foot 6 to give you an idea, he's also dropped weight now to 25kg because he seems to have an upset stomach consistently and doesn't have good appetite so the vet has put him on a Sensitive controlled food as he suspects he's allergic to some protein etc. Forgot i had to measure his neck for a collar which was 24inches.

What does the size mean IMG_0217

What does the size mean IMG_0215
What does the size mean IMG_0422
What does the size mean IMG_0421

GQ Man

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:26

I would honestly say he's a staffy x american bulldog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:27

Difficult to gauge but he doesn't look like a huge dog to me though he wouldn't get christened shorty either.

Really good looking boy though Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by GQ Man Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:33

Trust me these photos dont do him justice at all, i completely forgot about the first 2 photos as they were sent to me from the Dog warden in a email to give me an idea about this dog before i decided, well obviously i said yes but when he arrived he looked so much bigger it really was noticeable.

GQ Man

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:36

hes not a full staffy i would go with staffy x american bulldog also

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:52

either way he's a dam handsome boy!
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:53

Romeo wrote:either way he's a dam handsome boy!

He certainly is! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26 2012, 21:59

Wow he's a smaller version of Chance Smile gorgeous!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26 2012, 23:39

From the floor up to where are you measuring this dogs height ??
His a big boy and obviously over the standard height ( but so my KC reg boy) but from the angle the pics have been taken he dont look 22inches to me. Smile

He is a lovely looking lad thou Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next