Puppy STILL fussy/refusing with food?

+3
Galadriel
janey
NicoleLouise
7 posters

Go down

Puppy STILL fussy/refusing with food?  Empty Puppy STILL fussy/refusing with food?

Post by NicoleLouise Tue Jul 17 2012, 23:30

He's 7 weeks old, and ever since I've had him as been refusing his food. I had him just gone 5 weeks old. He was originally on beta puppy food when I had him, so continued with it to avoid upsetting his stomach.. he refused it, so was then advised to include 'Hi Life Nature's essentials Puppy' sachets. He started eating both when mixed together, but has now refused this too. I've been advised to try scrambled egg.. He ate it once, or twice, and now takes a few mouthfuls and spits it out. I've tried rice pudding.. has been eating it fine until now.. I've tried mixing them in with his usual solids.. eats a few mouthfuls, spits it out and walks off. Same with cooked chicken as also advised, few mouthfuls and refuses to eat it again.

Even when he is hungry, he'll go to his food bowl, takes a look and walks off. No clue what else to try. He is teething pretty bad as he's pratically chewing my house apart lol.

He also has a vet appintment for his injections on thursday as well as another health check. He's up to date with worming too.

Anyone else have any clue what to try? Everything I've been advised to try, he eats once or twice and then refuses.

Thank you!

NicoleLouise
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Blaze & Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 16 weeks & 2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Puppy STILL fussy/refusing with food?  Empty Re: Puppy STILL fussy/refusing with food?

Post by janey Tue Jul 17 2012, 23:35

I could be way off the mark (been a long time since I had a pup and never one so young) but I'd say your pandering. Stick to 1 good quality feed, and stick to it.

I take it you have treats/toys for the teething? X
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Puppy STILL fussy/refusing with food?  Empty Re: Puppy STILL fussy/refusing with food?

Post by NicoleLouise Tue Jul 17 2012, 23:44

janey wrote:

I could be way off the mark (been a long time since I had a pup and never one so young) but I'd say your pandering. Stick to 1 good quality feed, and stick to it.

I take it you have treats/toys for the teething? X

I've asked nutrionists and they've advised me to try different things as even if his food is left down all day/night, it's still untouched.

He has toys/treats for teething, but still refuses his food. Won't touch anything whatsoever? :/

NicoleLouise

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Blaze & Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 16 weeks & 2 years old

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jul 17 2012, 23:56

Ok, what have you tried and what has been suggested?

When I was having problems with Moo (totally different thing but I know its reccomended) Royal Canin sensitivty control, cans and kibble, 1 can mixed in 3 seperate meals.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 01:10

I've haven't had a pup that young in a very long time and thankfully she was not a picky eater. Have you tried asking the vet to see what they suggest?

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Jul 18 2012, 07:27

It's difficult with a young pup as you don't want them to go without but equally, you don't want to create a fussy dog.

If I were you, I'd choose a good quality food, something like Fish4Dogs that's usually tolerated well and gradually switch over. My dogs would probably turn their noses up at Purina!

Try soaking her food until it goes a bit mushy, stuff it into a Kong then you can just give it like that or freeze before giving it. It will create a bit of interest and also good for introducing new food gradually when a dog doesn't want to eat the old food.

I personally wouldn't leave the food down as not a fan of free feeding.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by richard1981 Wed Jul 18 2012, 09:32

Try nature diet puppy my puppy loves the stuff and it's good quality food 60/ meat pets at home sell it & pampered pets hope this helps hate seeing puppy's not eat I had the same thing with Zeus he was started on beta
richard1981
richard1981
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : zeus
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Jul 18 2012, 10:05

Zeus done the exact same when we got him. He was on Royal Canin and he hated the stuff, I slowly turned him on Wainwrights Dry Food and mixed a bit of wet food in it as a topper. He wasn't too keen on eating anything for a while, but I went for the harsh but necessary approach of leaving his food out for 15 minutes.. If he didn't eat it, it was gone. He soon realised he had to eat it all when it was down. Now he scoffs the bowl in a few minutes, whatever I put down.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Jul 18 2012, 10:06

Ok, 7 weeks us still teeny tiny. He does need to eat around 4 meals a day still.

My pup was weaned onto purina and didn't do well, soon as I got him home I put him on pets at home Wainwrights Trays, we've never looked bk. It's good food high meat content and I dont know of any dog not liking it !

So, IMO and from experience with my 2, I'd go with Wainwrights every time.

Keep trying with him but I think u need to get him on a good food as suggested and stick to it. Hold him and his bowl and see if that makes a difference or if u have a crate, put him in his crate with his food, close the door walk away,see how he gets on.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 10:12

I would try him on Fish4dogs (they do an excellent puppy food) - gradual switch over about 5 - 7 days. Don't put the food down & leave it. Apart from flies getting on it, I think it promotes fussiness. Put it down, leave it for 10 minutes & then take it up until next feed. Personally I wouldn't hold him to eat it as he'll expect it all the time, and food in a crate to me is a no no - too much could be left in there to rot & breed bacteria.

I doubt very much if he's teething, it's way too early (normally strarts around 12 weeks) so it's probably just puppy chewing which is normal. Give him things to chew on (instead of your furniture & shoes!) like a kong stuffed with something tasty or a stag bar. These will also come in handy when he does start to teeth.

You're going to have to be firm with him - he's had no competition from siblings to make him realise that food has to be eaten when it goes down or someone else will eat it! If he's putting on weight and isn't looking like a skin & bone rag bag then he's obviously getting enough nutrition somehow! Big Grin

Last edited by Caryll on Wed Jul 18 2012, 20:18; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by treacle4775 Wed Jul 18 2012, 19:07

When we got Obi at 7 weeks he was still having his food softened by adding some boiling water to it.

Could it be that his dry food is to hard for his little teeth?

Just a thought.
treacle4775
treacle4775
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Obi, Ava, Zac (R.I.P boy)
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, 12 weeks 11.5 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female, Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down