Stella started to be fussy with her food

3 posters

Go down

Stella started to be fussy with her food Empty Stella started to be fussy with her food

Post by maria0077 Sat Apr 07 2012, 19:58

Hi there,
Stella used to be such a wee hoover, eating everything.
I was giving her raw meat in the mornings and puupy dog food (Wainwrights, sometimes dry Orijen) in the evenings. Then she started being fussy with the dog food couple of weeks ago so I was feeding her more of the raw meat and bones (lamb ribs and stuff, based on what Caryll says here:-)). And she was fine.
Last couple of days she has been fussy with her meat as well...I had to hand feed her some turkey (it was fresh for human consumption from Asda) the other day, really strange.
She eats raw chicken wings with pleasure, and dried tripe though, and she loves goats milk so she drinks this mixed with water but she is very careful when it comes to eat anything else.
We were by the sea again today, running, playing - it was fantastic and she loved it as well, so I expected her to be starving but she hardly ate anything (I fed her by hand again).
I wanted to ask - when she is 10 months now would it be OK if she skipped one whole meal? I think it's fine for an adult dog time to time just to let them get hungry again but I'm not sure about her when she's young.
Thanx for advice:-)
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Stella started to be fussy with her food Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Stella started to be fussy with her food Empty Re: Stella started to be fussy with her food

Post by Guest Sat Apr 07 2012, 20:55

i personally would put her food down and after 15 - 20 mins take it up, she'll eat when she is hungry and if she is fit and well it wont do her any harm

Back to top Go down

Stella started to be fussy with her food Empty Re: Stella started to be fussy with her food

Post by Kathy Sat Apr 07 2012, 22:11

As Ella has stated really she wont allow herself to starve. Just give a quick check of her mouth to make sure no damage, this could be a reason for not wanting to eat. Does she have treats throughout the day?
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08 2012, 01:40

Same here. A lot of dogs go through stages where they want a certain type of food cause it's their favourite. And they know deep down that if they refuse food you'll give in!

Just put her food down & if she doesn't eat it take it up again. But if you do that, don't give her anything (other than training treats) until the next meal - nothing at all!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08 2012, 07:22

Agree with everyone else really.

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Sun Apr 08 2012, 12:50

Hi,
thanks a lot;-)
I was thinking the same but I somehow didn't want to endanger her growth and development when she is young;-) But you are right if she is hungry she will eat:-)
She is absolutely healthy, teeth and everything, so it'll be fine, she's just a wee monkey.
Cheers Xx
maria0077
maria0077

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08 2012, 14:36

As been said, a fussy dog is a too well fed dog! Some dogs are greedy and some are not. If you don't leave her food down and she skips a few meals she will be hungry and eat the next time. DO NOT get into the habit of hand feeding as she will then start to refuse to eat, by doing this you are reinforcing the "not eating from a bowl" behaviour. She will eat when she is hungry. Meat takes a lot longer to digest than normal dog food so she WILL be fuller for longer, so take that into consideration.

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Sun Apr 08 2012, 17:58

Hi,
I have just given Stella her dinner and I guess she must have read your comments and suggestions here because she rather ate it in no time:-)
Thanks Xx
maria0077
maria0077

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Apr 12 2012, 13:32

Good she is eating again Smile
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down