Puppy Walks

3 posters

Go down

Puppy Walks Empty Puppy Walks

Post by debtom Wed Jun 20 2012, 14:50

Caley started out really well with her walks seemed to really enjoy them, but now all of a sudden she does not want to go anymore, is reluctant to leave the house, we encourage her with treats, she then starts walking but stops and sits down, this morning she was shaking, I carried her a little way and then put her down again and she seemed OK was jumping up at me but would walk for a little. Once I turned around to come home she couldn't get there fast enough. Sad I am not aware of anything that could have scared her.

My OH took her to the beach yesterday, she again was reluctant to walk there but once on the beach loved it and didn't want to come off, again once heading back she was eager to get back to the car and would try and run.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to encourage her to walk especially on leaving the house. Thanks
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Puppy Walks Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Puppy Walks Empty Re: Puppy Walks

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20 2012, 16:09

I think she just doesn't want to walk for her fun, she'd rather get in the car or be carried!

Try a squeeky toy. If she stops, just give her a little tug whilst squeeking the toy & try to make your voice exciting. Don't pick her up! Just be patient & continue with the necouragement & she'll be ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosco2012 Thu Jun 21 2012, 11:43

My Rosco is the same, he sits and looks really sad, he's ok off his lead but not great at walking atm. Sad
Rosco2012
Rosco2012
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rosco
Dog(s) Ages : 3 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21 2012, 11:46

Rosco2012 wrote:My Rosco is the same, he sits and looks really sad, he's ok off his lead but not great at walking atm. Sad

They do get better just lots of encouragement , treats , toys and a really cheerful praising voice , Tilly's first walks were a nightmare but it only went on for a week then she didn't want to come home

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Thu Jun 21 2012, 11:53

I tried again last night, but she stubbornly refused to move...I tried treats, squeaky toy, my little boy even sat a little away from her and called her but still no, she even started shaking until four girls started walking our way and she got excited and ran to them Rolling Eyes

I have spoke to my friend who has a 15 month old staffy called Khloe and we are going to try and do a walk with her, I am hoping that Khloe will encourage her to walk...I can only try
debtom
debtom
Puppy Walks Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21 2012, 11:57

debtom wrote:I have spoke to my friend who has a 15 month old staffy called Khloe and we are going to try and do a walk with her, I am hoping that Khloe will encourage her to walk...I can only try

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21 2012, 12:10

Caryll wrote:
debtom wrote:I have spoke to my friend who has a 15 month old staffy called Khloe and we are going to try and do a walk with her, I am hoping that Khloe will encourage her to walk...I can only try

thumbs up

When we start walking Tommy (just under 2 weeks now Smile ) we do plan to start out with Tilly so my daughter can walk a little distance with us then turn round and go home , if this works then the walks gradually get longer as he gets older and hopefully he gets an easy start and the pair of them get used to walking together. I've been a bought a long training line as well so he can have a secure "off lead" run around with Tilly when we go out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21 2012, 12:41

Walking with another dog may help. She is probally just unsure of herself and may be a bit scared of the world. Let her go at her on pace. Try to encourage her but don't force things

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosco2012 Thu Jun 21 2012, 12:42

I've got a canal 30 seconds from my house so i'm hoping to encourage Rosco that that's fun. I love walking the canal too :-)
Rosco2012
Rosco2012

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Fri Jun 22 2012, 10:33

OK...another attempt this morning..this time armed with cheese.

we walked outside she sat down, poor little thing was shaking, I waved cheese under her nose she showed signs of interest..I had to throw the cheese for her to walk to it she ate it and then sat on her butt again not moving, shaking did ease up, this carried on all the way to end of the road. I turned around to come home and she ran all the way. She got indoors then started running around like a crazy pup lol. Guess I will just keep on trying.
debtom
debtom
Puppy Walks Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22 2012, 10:56

When you turn around to come home, don't let her race back, keep her under control as much as possible. Also, it might help to walk past your door for a couple of yards & then go back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Fri Jun 22 2012, 14:36

Ralph does exactly this. If I try and walk him to the park, he won't have it. He just sits and won't move. I carry him to the end of the park and he's fine in the park. Coming home he runs all the way!

On the other hand, there is a nice park a short drive away (not being lazy - just am concerned about his little legs and joints) so if we drive there in the car, he is happy to get out and go where ever! In short. He likes to be driven or carried to the destination!

I need to get him out of this habbit, as he's already 11kg, and I am struggling to lift the little chunk up now! I guess it's just keeping at it from what you're all saying, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with a dog that likes to decide when and where he walks!!

Big Grin
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Fri Jun 22 2012, 16:04

we have success...sort of.. My OH has taken Caley out, again refusing to budge but he encouraged her and she still was not sure..he picked her up and walked slightly down the road, he then took her into a small car park and she happily walked around in there but when he tried to walk out of there she sat down. He proceeded to sit on the floor with her and have a big fuss and play with her, lots of kisses and cuddles Laughing (lots of stares from strangers as well lol) she then happily trotted off with him and they have gone further than ever before.

I have a strange feeling it might be the road we live, I live on a busy main road which is also having loads of roadworks done and although the first walk we did was fine and we have carried her up and down that road alot I think she doesn't like it now, so once my OH ventured off the main road she seemed alot better. Fingers crossed she keeps this up...so happy Big Grin
debtom
debtom
Puppy Walks Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Fri Jun 22 2012, 16:24

The main road is not the issue for us as we are down a country lane. Hardly any cars at all...
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosco2012 Wed Jun 27 2012, 09:21

Rosco is loving his walks now, he's wanting them to be longer than they are, i'm going to take him to the park tonight and let off his lead for a bit. How often should i take him and for how long, he's 13 weeks.
Rosco2012
Rosco2012

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27 2012, 09:53

The big wide world outside your front door is a scary place for a young pup.
There are a number of things that we may not notice that can and do spook a pup, and that could be something as silly as a carrier bag blowing down the road, or a dust bin thats out of place on their regular walking route.

Taking out an adult dog on a pups 1st walks is a good idea, as they look to the adult dog for reassurance Smile

The best way i have found to handle a pup thats weary of the big out doors with cars, prams etc, is to totally ignore their behaviour, if you react even if its to just bend down and reassure them they see it as a valid reason to be scared of what ever it is.
When pup is walking keeping saying what a good boy/girl they are in a highish happy voice. Keep the walks short till pups comfortable with going out side.
With traffic i found if you walk the side of the street of on coming traffic a pup can see it coming and dont react skittish as it passes, its when it approaches from behind them all of a sudden that spooks them.
Another thing that can scare pups is the air brake loud noise, lorries and some buses do

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down