potty training again - stupid question lol

+3
goldie87
crystel
Girly
7 posters

Go down

potty training again - stupid question lol Empty potty training again - stupid question lol

Post by Girly Fri Jun 08 2012, 15:24

OK as you can all tell by now - first puppy of my own that i've had to train (unfortunately my parents never really trained the dog i had growing up and i was too little for his puppy-hood so i wouldn't remember what to do anyway) so i'm a little behind...

we got the potty training thing down - much better than last week, no random accidents and she's very good. i had to leave her alone for a few hours today, from 11 am to 2 pm. i set up the kitchen for her and gave her stuff to do and a box to tear apart and all that. seems she did OK but she did still pee on the floor. i guess my mistake was assuming that closing her off to a room with her crate in it is OK for a puppy her age (only 4 months) - that's for older dogs, right? i should have just put her in her crate?

i know she can hold her bladder for a long time, because she's quite big and she sleeps through the night, no fussing even if she does stir a bit.

so next time, if she has to be on her own for a few hours and isn't 100% trustworthy with holding it, keep her in her crate?

when are they ready to be outside of the crate on their own (confined to a room)? about what age?
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
potty training again - stupid question lol Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

potty training again - stupid question lol Empty Re: potty training again - stupid question lol

Post by crystel Fri Jun 08 2012, 15:30

Hi I am quite new too site but very experienced staffy owner, we have pups of the same age, mine was great with toilet training but what i do as i don,t like confining her in her crate for hours although this is not a bad thing, lots of owners use this method, but i confine mine in the kitchen but with her crate door open, and i barrier across so she only has a small amount of space too move about in, at night they are sleeping so they do tend too be able too hold it longer but in the day if they are awake and active they will still have accidents pups do not have full bladder control until at least 6mnths hope that helps your pup is GORGEOUS i am struggling too post pictures on here...!!
crystel
crystel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

potty training again - stupid question lol Empty Re: potty training again - stupid question lol

Post by goldie87 Fri Jun 08 2012, 15:37

Hi girly
Zeus is four months old and he does the exact same thing. If we have to leave him in the house for a few hours, we always put him in the crate as he'll never pee or poo in there. He can hold it in all night, and for however long you leave him in the crate, but once hes out he'll pee anywhere.

We've been toilet training him for the two months that hes been with us and he is still not fully trained. The majority of the time he'll walk to the back door and either sit there, or look at the handle, which is indication he needs to go out. But there are still times where he wees or poos in the living room, we tell him off and then pick him up and put him outside, showing him the correct place to do it. Once he does it there, he gets a treat.

So you are not on your own!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Fri Jun 08 2012, 15:39

thanks - we have been toying with the play pen/room divider thing but just haven't done it yet. it's a good idea, maybe finally this weekend we'll finally do it. we've been making sure she's worn out and sleeping before we leave her and then darting home, only get out for an hour or two at a time that way but don't want to confine her in her crate for a really long time either. she has it good though, i work from home so she doesn't HAVE to spend a lot of time in her crate.

she is a pretty little girl isn't she? thanks very much, we just adore her! i can't wait until the whole family (we have two cats as well) can hang out in the same room together. i miss my other babies

and thanks Goldie - she knows to tell us when she has to go and we have her on a schedule otherwise, but yes, sounds very much the same!! i think we'll just crate her, even if it is for a few hours. it's a big enough crate that she'll be OK hanging out there for a bit. we are never away too long!

Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Fri Jun 08 2012, 17:34

Everything Goldie87 said...exactly where we are with Callie.

BTW Jellybean is exactly 2 days older than Callie Smile she's a cutie
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 09 2012, 00:33

At 4 months she really doesn't have full bladder control yet so an occasional accident is to be expected. As long as the accidents are getting less frequent that is a good sign

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Sat Jun 09 2012, 11:47

they are, it's more the leaving her alone for a few hours and trusting her to not pee while we're away. how do you know when they are ready for that?

her accidents when we're with her are definitely decreasing, she is getting better every day about letting us know when she has to go and best of all she lets us sleep through the night. it will be a while i guess until we can trust her not to pee in the room if we leave her out in a room with her crate

thanks all! and thanks for the puppy compliments, yours are all gorgeous too! the puppies just kill me, such sweet little faces and then the adults with their big toothy smiles - what a gang of happy dogs!!
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 09 2012, 11:50

I've always used wee pads for when I am out. Not everyone likes them but it gives the dog a place to go if they have to when you are out

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakrose Sat Jun 09 2012, 12:54

if I have to leave Pippa (now near 7 months) in the laundry for a few hours.. I have newspaper down. one lot for her to do her business, and the other spot she rips apart lol.. but she will go on the newspaper.
Blakrose
Blakrose
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Pippa
Dog(s) Ages : 25 months
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Sat Jun 09 2012, 13:38

yeah, my husband isn't big on the wee pads because we keep hearing they just teach her to go inside. i don't mind it, but do worry that would happen too.
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jun 09 2012, 13:43

crystel wrote: i am struggling too post pictures on here...!!

Please have a look at the link below for posting pictures, any problems please put a message in the forum help section we can then have a look and hopefully figure it out for you:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12018-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Sun Jun 10 2012, 09:02

goldie87 wrote:Hi girly
Zeus is four months old and he does the exact same thing. If we have to leave him in the house for a few hours, we always put him in the crate as he'll never pee or poo in there. He can hold it in all night, and for however long you leave him in the crate, but once hes out he'll pee anywhere.

We've been toilet training him for the two months that hes been with us and he is still not fully trained. The majority of the time he'll walk to the back door and either sit there, or look at the handle, which is indication he needs to go out. But there are still times where he wees or poos in the living room, we tell him off and then pick him up and put him outside, showing him the correct place to do it. Once he does it there, he gets a treat.

So you are not on your own!

Exactly the same as this. Ralph (14 weeks) is in his crate when we have to go out. We do still have the odd accident but never in the crate. Also it stops the little man from eating my house!!!
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down