Potty training not going so well

+2
smudge95
Cecil15
6 posters

Go down

Potty training not going so well Empty Potty training not going so well

Post by Cecil15 Wed Sep 09 2015, 16:04

I am starting to get a little discouraged with Cecil’s potty training!
It seems as if he still needs to pee every 10 min! I was going to take him to the vet yesterday thinking maybe something is wrong with his bladder but then my husband had a good point. He does not have any accidents in his house (crate) and sleeps through the night without any problems and waits till the morning to go outside.

For the most part during the day he will go to the door and cry when he has to go potty! I watch him outside do his business and once we are back inside he will play for a minute with the other dogs and then I catch him sniffing around to find a nice spot to pee again! Usually I am quick enough to catch him before he does it but sometimes when I am distracted while cooking dinner or doing homework with the kids he sneaks to a corner and leaves me a nice puddle to clean up.
After we ate dinner last night my son slipped on pee. I ask my husband if he did not take Cecil out before dinner and he said he did! He never pees on the same spot because I do clean the spots really good that he has peed on.

Monday we had a really rough day. It was raining all day Sunday so I decided to mop my floors on Monday. Well my husband was playing with the dogs outside while everything was drying inside. When they came back in 5 min later Cecil like a good boy went to the door again, cried and we let him outside to go pee. After he came back inside maybe 10 min later he peed behind our dining table. Again we took him outside. Back inside he started playing with the dogs. My son who was cleaning his room at that time had forgotten to close his door and Cecil used that opportunity to sneak in real quick. All of a sudden I hear my son crying “oh no not my pillow” I run into the room and see that Cecil had peed all over his pillow that was laying on the floor.

I took Cecil outside again and he just looked at me like he knew I was going a little bit crazy Crying or Very sad  
But that did not stop him from randomly peeing in the house all day long! It seemed as if every time I went to sit down he would already sit at the door again! I would get back up to let him outside but then the whole thing just played over and over again till about 9pm when everybody was finally in bed including my fur babies! Let me tell you, I was one exhausted mommy haha

Please don’t get me wrong I am so happy that he is telling me that he has to go outside and he gets lots of praise for it too but it’s just really every 10 min when we are home he needs to go outside! He is 15 weeks now and it seems like he is still going as much potty as he did when we brought him home at 10 weeks. I don't know if he sees it as a game? But then again if I don't let him out he will just find a spot to pee on.

He is eating and drinking good. He plays and seems to be very healthy but maybe I should take him for a checkup? Or maybe I am doing something wrong? Who knew potty training could be so exhausting Laughing
Cecil15
Cecil15
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Cecil
Dog(s) Ages : 11 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Potty training not going so well Empty Re: Potty training not going so well

Post by Cecil15 Wed Sep 09 2015, 16:11

My apologies for this long post..I got a little carried away!
Cecil15
Cecil15

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Wed Sep 09 2015, 16:41

Bless I feel your pain - there is nothing wrong with Cecil he is just being a puppy.. Buddy was exactly the same I used to think he would never get it - some days I could have cried with exhaustion after working and cooking etc but... the day will come when it clicks and he stops - just keep taking him out every ten minutes if it has to be , the only thing I would say is limit his water intake after around 7 at night - as long as he has eaten and drank during the day it will do him no harm .. that way the evening wees may decrease and you will get some rest.. you are doing everything right make sure you really praise him when he goes outside .. he is still young to hold himself - they are like children when engrossed in play they forget and then it is too late if he is staying dry during the night that is a real achievement at that age - I used to stop Buddy playing and say do you want a wee.. and take him out- sometimes he would go and sometimes not but now if I say it he goes to the door without thinking and most times will go on command ..has cut down his accidents greatly.. I know it feels as if it will never come good but it will - we have all been there with pups -some learn quicker than others but they all get it in the end
smudge95
smudge95
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Sep 09 2015, 19:52

Hey! What do you clean the mess up with? Bug always does two wees when she goes out, and she's 7! Perhaps try keeping him outside to pootle about/do a couple of wees during his potty breaks.

Agree with above r.e taking him out more often - I usually recommend every 30 minutes and after play/naps/feeding, but I wouldn't take his water away, especially when he's okay overnight generally. I would also restrict his area when you're not watching him - either tethered to you or in his crate with his toys - just until he has it sussed, the aim is to prevent the accidents as much as possible - if he's managing to sneak off you're not watching him close enough Wink
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyrimpler Wed Sep 09 2015, 21:24

im running in and out of the house all the time with my little Spudley....He's 11 weeks now and sometimes amazes me because he takes himself outside for a wee and then hops back indoors, but at another time, he'll simply bob down for wee without warning..But he's getting better..
The crafty sod has even pretended to have a wee when ive watched him, just so he can get a free treat!! He's done it a couple of times, but ive just played along with him!
funkyrimpler
funkyrimpler
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Spike/Spud/Spudley/Potato
Dog(s) Ages : 11 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmahammond25 Wed Sep 09 2015, 21:30

Haha he's a clever one Laughing treats are just too good see!
Emmahammond25
Emmahammond25

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 16/03/2015
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 72

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Sep 09 2015, 22:04

aww he is still a baby and will have accidents,they dont have full control of their bladders till around 6 months,lots of praise when he does go and the odd treat,he'll get there soon Smile
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Cecil15 Thu Sep 10 2015, 00:49

Thank you everybody for your replies!
I am using Natures Miracle stain and oder remover.
It really is exhausting..folding laundry almost took all night because he had to go outside every 10min lol
Im glad its nothing healthwise I should be worried about!
Cecil15
Cecil15

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Thu Sep 10 2015, 11:01

wait until he decides he is going to help you put the laundry away - resulting in you having to wash it all again...just saying Smile.. Buddy managed to get in the recycling box and make confetti of all the paper all over the garden last night -my punishment for bathing him...
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down