Potty Training HELP...

2 posters

Go down

Potty Training HELP... Empty Potty Training HELP...

Post by MarcoLondon Sun Apr 01 2012, 23:45

Hello guys

I need your help.

Our puppy is still not fully vaccinated (another couple of weeks before she can actually step on the outdoor soil).
We live in a flat (no garden) and there is a lot of Carpet in it...

Now... we tried to have the newspapers and training pads to make our Polly understand where to go and do her things.... but it simply does not work...
It is almost 3 weeks she is with us.. and besides sleeping well in the crate and not using it as a toilet.... the carpet must look to her like grass.... because she use it as toilet.
The real trouble is that if we put any newspaper or pad on to the floor.... she will destroy it in thousands pieces..
so after 5/6 days we just stopped using them and we only clean after her, hoping that when she is allowed to get out, she can do her things out.... but I am worried this leaving her "free" in the house is going to create major problems in the future...

How can we potty train her?
I did try many times to bring her straight away after each accident in the "designated spot".... but she destroy the paper.. every single time!
I guess it would be at least help if she did it in the same area...

Also the other problem is that she eats her own poo... I know it is disgusting!.. but it is the way it is...
Do you have some experiences?

How to solve this issue?

Please... it is seriously the only part of her training that I reckon we are completely missing here.... we lack structure.... when you read the forum it sounds easy.... bring the dog to the right place.... and it will happens..
But nobody mentions (I did not find it at least) shredding the papers/pads.... eating the poo....

Look forward to hear your opinions!!

Best

Marco
MarcoLondon
MarcoLondon
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dog(s) Ages : 29th Jan 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

http://www.ultimateconditioningcoach.com

Back to top Go down

Potty Training HELP... Empty Re: Potty Training HELP...

Post by Ben Mon Apr 02 2012, 00:01

Well, you really do need to be able to do one of two things. Either you have to be able to take her out to potty or you have to keep her more contained (x-pen/crate). In order to potty train her you are going to have to create structure for her or she will never learn what is acceptable and what is not. For example, when you first get her up from her crate, immediately put her in a contained area (like the kitchen or bathroom where she has to potty on paper or something easy to clean (carpet is horrible as when using scent neutralizers). Furthermore, you are going to have to clean the poo up immediately (this takes a ton of babysitting!). Some pups and dogs just do it, not sure why, but they do. Best thing you can do is teach her the "leave it" command and don't give her the opportunity. If she won't go when you put her on the paper, pick her up, crate her and 10 minutes later try again until she does her business. When she does, don't forget to praise and give a treat. Hang in there, you'll make it. Once she is potty trained and can freely go outside, you should be good to go.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 00:17

Agree with the above. Keep her confined to a small area during times she is likely to go such as after eating, sleeping or playing. Keep her there until she goes and than give lots of praise.

Suki tore her papers to. We would add a drop of urine so she would know that was where she was supposed to go and she got the hang of it after some time.

Be sure to clean any accidents thoroughly because the smell will encourage her to go there again.

She should grow out of eating her own poo. The mother lets them do it as pups to keep the den clean. You will have to watch for other animal poo because she may eat or roll in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 00:20

Agree with the above.

Once she's allowed out, you can start taking her out frequently & praising her when she goes outside. She'll soon learn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 00:31

have you time tabled her toilets, this will help greatly, knowing when she is due will be key, so your able to take her out on concrete not grass its hard for things like parvo or distempa to stick to concrete.
I knew when my lot needed out and yes i took them out every hour for toilet etc. keeping her confined, pick up a scrap peice of vinyl flooring to place down or those plastic sheets some use to cover hutches or cars motorbikes etc, just to save your carpet until she can go out. Also don't use bleach when cleaning up after her the imonia in it makes them go more (smells like another dog) try using trigene, its an excellent cleaner safe for animals and kill things like parvo etc. As for eating her own poo, get there before she does distract with loud noise like clap of hands with her not knowing it came from you. I heard there are a few food to feed them to make their poo undesirable but i'v not tried any.

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoLondon Mon Apr 02 2012, 05:21

thank you so much for your support!
I do agree.... she need to have a structure.
Also the idea of confining her in the kitchen, which is something I do every morning when I get up (like now) and it is obviously easier to spot and clean!

Also interesting the "timing" her habits! will do.

Re carpet, when we are in the living room (we live in a split level) she wonders in the other rooms... we leave her free to do so... but every few min we check... normally she hangs out with us.... anyway we are "babysitting" a lot... cleaning straight after (lots of effort).
Thanks for the brand Trigene you adviced me to buy.. we will look into it.

As said, once she is out it'll be easy to teach her to do it outside... but want to make her understand that this is not an acceptable behavior.
If she can't stand those papers and pads, she'll at least learn to do it always in the same spot!!!

Will keep you posted!
Thanks!
MarcoLondon
MarcoLondon

Status Status :

Dog(s) Ages : 29th Jan 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

http://www.ultimateconditioningcoach.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down