Advice Please :)

4 posters

Go down

Advice Please :) Empty Advice Please :)

Post by RubyRed Sat Jun 02 2012, 20:35

Hi all,

So as previous I introduced myself and my pup called Ruby (will figure out how to upload pictures soon). Ruby is 6 months as of today. We love and adore her to bits. She loves every one and everything, very well behaved apart from her recall but very smart and very affection, I reckon she considers herself one of the gang.

Anyway we have decided to get her a little pal (not named yet, thats a separate topic). So we are getting a male in 2/3 weeks. We would like to breed them eventually, some people say good for the female to have at least one litter, others say different. I would like to hear a few opinions from other staffy moms and dads and advice on what we should do for the future.

I cant see Ruby reacting badly at all to the little pup, but we know to make sure that there is no jealousy whatsoever.

Anyway I look forward to reading some more views of other staffy ppl and I know this is the best place to ask.

Regards
Kev, Lynsey & Ruby Smile

RubyRed
RubyRed
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby & Tyson
Dog(s) Ages : 8months & 4months
Dog Gender(s) : female and male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice Please :) Empty Re: Advice Please :)

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02 2012, 20:41

am sure someone will be along soon with proper advice but i know i couldnt have coped with 2 when woody was 6 months but then again im on my own.

is she trained enough not to pick up on pups bad habits of weeing in house etc " if he is doing it i can too".

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jun 02 2012, 20:43

Please see link below for instruction to post pictures:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12018-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum

You will get different reactions from differnt people with regards to breeding them or not. If you have good loving homes for all the puppies good for you. However the rescue centres are already overcrowded with Staffies both puppies and adult dogs..

The decision is ultimately yours and yours alone.

Please also read the link below:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12763-long-term-health-risks-and-benefits-associated-with-spay-neuter-in-dogs
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02 2012, 20:48

Hi & welcome again
You probably won't like my answer.
Go to your local rescue centres and see the dogs that are unhomed and see how many are staffs. If you still feel like breeding after that then you either have a stone heart or you feel 1 million % sure thats what you really want.
I think breading should be left to the people who have studied the breed and understand what is important for the future of the breed instead of just throwing 2 staffs together just cos they are staffs and will produce staff pups.
Sorry if I come across rude....wasn't what I was trying to do

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sat Jun 02 2012, 20:52

Surprised WOW you'll have your work cut out! It's usually a good idea to wait until one dog is about 18 months before adding another pup...

As for breeding, it's a complete myth that it's good for a bitch to have at least one litter.

Considering the amount of Staffies in this country that don't have a home to call their own I'd really advise against breeding unless you feel you can really improve the breed. Who has said your bitch is a good example of the breed? What's her pedigree?

Can you afford to breed? It's not something you can really make money out of if you're going to do it properly. Especially not your first litter.

Do you know what health tests are required? Have you thought about how you'd feel if you lost your girl if something went wrong?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being harsh, it's just not really something that should be taken lightly.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRed Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:08

As I said we would LIKE to breed, it isnt a definite or set in stone. I am asking opinions from other staffy owners. Im not taking it lightly either, I am reading and asking other peoples views. If i was taking it lightly surely I wouldnt bother asking??! I would rather not have some getting off their high horses, as ADVICE/OPINIONS can be made a bit more appropriatly.

We will have our work cut out yes with 2, but so what, its a challenge, we love the breed and have done our studies and research on it and its a decision we have decided to take.

We have been to rescues many many times, unfortunatly Irish rescues aren't as efficient as others, there fore when viewing of these staffys they are no where to be seen. They have also had severe behavioural issues due to previous cruel owners and situations that they had been put in.
RubyRed
RubyRed

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRed Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:14

As I said we would LIKE to breed, it isnt a definite or set in stone. I am asking opinions from other staffy owners. Im not taking it lightly either, I am reading and asking other peoples views. If i was taking it lightly surely I wouldnt bother asking??! I would rather not have some getting off their high horses, as ADVICE/OPINIONS can be made a bit more appropriatly.

We will have our work cut out yes with 2, but so what, its a challenge, we love the breed and have done our studies and research on it and its a decision we have decided to take.

We have been to rescues many many times, unfortunatly Irish rescues aren't as efficient as others, there fore when viewing of these staffys they are no where to be seen. They have also had severe behavioural issues due to previous cruel owners and situations that they had been put in.
RubyRed
RubyRed

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:15

Agree 100% ith all comments above , have you actually bought the pup you talk about for 2/3 weeks time. You should ideally wait until Ruby is a bit older but if the deal is done then not a lot you can do now apart from expect a lot of work Smile We have just got another pup (to collect in 2 weeks)and will be a great playmate for Tilly but that's all (Tilly is neutered and Tommy will be done too as soon as he is at an appropriate age. Are both your dogs with pedigree ?? you shouldn't even contemplate them breeding unless they are and then you must look at getting all the relevant tests done as neccessary to ensure you are bringing healthy pups into the world. Although it might sound appealling to have a litter , do you really know how expensive it can be , how much skill you need to do it correctly and how much hard work you will be letting yourself in for. If you follow this route without all the correct procedures , paperwork etc then I'm sorry to be blunt but this puts you into the back yard breeder category and as far as the overpopulation of staffies and staffie crosses and the masses of staffies in rescues and being PTS every week is concerned then you would be a major contributor to their problem. Sorry if its not what you want to hear but if you wanted encouragement then i'm afraid you are on the wrong forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Topaz Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:28

Hello and i dont want to tell you what to do i just want to tell you the 1st and only time i will ever breed a dog. ( not staffy)

We owned both male 4 and female 3. When our bitch had the puppys she would not let the male in the house. She kept attacking him. She killed 3 puppys and was not good with them. After paying for a vet to come out a few times. We decided it best to hand rare the puppys. This was such hard work feeding every 2 hours day and night. My dogs were fighting like mad and my female snapping at my kids. Strange as she was the stupidest dog ever. I have kept in touch with all puppys as i was there sole carer but letting them go felt like giving my children away!

A few weeks after the puppys were all in there new homes. Someone let My female out and she was run over. This was a very tramatic and exausting time. Not to mention expensive!

This was nearly 3 years ago and my male dog had to be put down through cancer and so its lovely to see the puppys. Well not so much puppys now but id never go through it again.

BEST OF LUCK WHATEVER YOU DECIDE!! :-)

Topaz
Topaz
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Topaz
Dog(s) Ages : Nearly 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRed Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:45

Thank you for all your valid and very good reasons why not to breed. The main big one for us is if anything ever happened my Ruby or we lost her we would be devastated and knowing I put her in that position and some complications came with the pups etc. I don't want to be considered a back yard breeder or see our pups in homes later on in life.

We were never 100% for breeding, it was merely an idea.

Thanks again.

RubyRed
RubyRed

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:47

No worries.
Hey who knows you may be the next top breeder of the breed if you do choose to do it. But at least if you do decide to breed you will have looked at all the advice and information there was on the subject

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:50

Sorry if I came across hard and judgemental . I naively bought Tilly from a back yard breeder but that was long before I realised what it was all about. TBH in some ways I'm a bit gutted that we have had to go to a breeder for Tommy as I would have loved our next to be a rescue ,however, as my OH is a chilminder, we could never really consider an older dog and they probab;y wouldn't let us have a puppy anyway asmost won't rehome when there are kids under 8.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:56

I certainly didn't mean to come across like I was on my high horse. I was just giving you my advice and some food for though, as have the others.

It's great you have the time to raise two puppies at the same time Smile you're lucky and must have the patience of a saint! It's also great that you are asking for opinions on breeding although the general rule is, if you have to ask then the answer should be no. Breeding really is a hard, expensive and emotionally difficult process, it's certainly not something I could handle and if you're a first time breeder you need to find yourself an experienced and ethical breeder that will mentor you.

Have you discussed it with the breeder you have/are buying from? It maybe that your pups are endorsed (this is usual with responsible breeders) so you may not even be able to breed without there permission...

ETA: P.S. Your pup is a beaut, if I were you, I'd just enjoy her and your new addition and not chance with her life (or his, bitches can get nasty when tied!) Smile

Last edited by Galadriel on Sat Jun 02 2012, 22:00; edited 1 time in total

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:59

Topaz wrote:Hello and i dont want to tell you what to do i just want to tell you the 1st and only time i will ever breed a dog. ( not staffy)

We owned both male 4 and female 3. When our bitch had the puppys she would not let the male in the house. She kept attacking him. She killed 3 puppys and was not good with them. After paying for a vet to come out a few times. We decided it best to hand rare the puppys. This was such hard work feeding every 2 hours day and night. My dogs were fighting like mad and my female snapping at my kids. Strange as she was the stupidest dog ever. I have kept in touch with all puppys as i was there sole carer but letting them go felt like giving my children away!

A few weeks after the puppys were all in there new homes. Someone let My female out and she was run over. This was a very tramatic and exausting time. Not to mention expensive!

This was nearly 3 years ago and my male dog had to be put down through cancer and so its lovely to see the puppys. Well not so much puppys now but id never go through it again.

BEST OF LUCK WHATEVER YOU DECIDE!! :-)

It's easy for people like me to have some basic insight and be judgemental but you can't beat some experience, thanks for sharingyour story

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 00:25

Agree with all the advice already given. I would also wait until she was a bit older before adding a second dog as well. We are wanting to add anther dog to our house as well but will wait until Suki is at least two so that is is a little more calm and could help with training the new dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 03:23

Is your dog papered? I am of the opinion that you should not breed unless your dog is papered, health tested and has an absolutely stellar temperament. It is difficult and expensive to be an ethical and responsible breeder and it is not something to take lightly, at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Topaz Sun Jun 03 2012, 10:27

[/quote]

It's easy for people like me to have some basic insight and be judgemental but you can't beat some experience, thanks for sharingyour story[/quote]

Your welcome :-)
Topaz
Topaz

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Topaz
Dog(s) Ages : Nearly 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 11:52

It looks like you have your answer and have made your decision, I just wanted to add that I completely agree with all of the above - Breeding should be left to the experts who have only the best interests of the breed and improvement of the breed at heart and know exactly what they are doing.

On the subject of getting another pup, that is, of course, your call, but I agree with the others on that too. It would be very hard work for you, and unfortunately, under those circumstances, many people find they can't cope and one of the dogs is rehomed. I'm not saying that is something that you would do - but it's something to think about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down