Skinny pup

2 posters

Go down

Skinny pup Empty Skinny pup

Post by Jackieb Thu May 10 2012, 20:54

So we picked Tank up from the breeder on Sunday.... He was on purina beta food which is just total crap.

He looked a bit of a state, covered in scratches and tiny bite marks as well as a small bump on his head where I'm guessing is a bruise caused by a large k9 tooth, maby from mum ?

He had also lost fur down his back and head. We could see his ribs and spine easily... And he stank!

He has a good pedigree, but I was shocked at the state of him.

He looked very small, skinny and moth eaten. The breeder apparently took him to the vet the day before a he was shaking, diagnosis was stress.

Anyway, I threw the purina beta in the bin and got him on Wainwrights complete, which is a good food. Currently he is eating double the amount according to the guidelines on the box which can only be a good thing right ?

I bathed him in Etiderm shampoo so he smells better now, he smelt like urine tbh when we picked him up.

The difference in him in just a few days is huge, he's lively, loving and a piglet !

Obviously to me my thinkin is he didn't get his share of the food he was weaned on, he came from a litter of 7, he was pretty beaten up and looked prety sad....I'm just glad I've got him home and can get him sorted.

So, with his skinny and moth eaten state, is this likely to effect his growth as he gets bigger ?

Sorry for the huge post but I wanted to give as much info as poss.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Skinny pup Empty Re: Skinny pup

Post by Guest Thu May 10 2012, 21:02

I wouldn't double the recommended amount. Either stick to what he should be getting or maybe increase it slightly, otherwise he'll get into a habit of eating too much & you'll end up with a porker! Big Grin

As long as he's now getting good food & care his growth shouldn't be affected.

Dempsey was the smallest of his litter - he couldn't suckle so after nearly 2 days of not feeding he was hand fed. When I got him he was still only three quarters the size of his litter mates. Now he's the biggest!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu May 10 2012, 21:11

Thx caryll, I feel a bit better now Smile

X
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10 2012, 21:12

You'd be surprised how quickly a pup can come back from that sort of thing. A friend who used to breed GSDs called them good 'doers'. They'd make the most use of the food they got, if that makes sense!

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Thu May 10 2012, 21:32

ah poor tank Sad sounds like he's been in the wars abit,sasha was abit like that when we picked her up,she had scratches and a cut on her head where her mum had a go at her,she grew up to be a piggy too,now you've got him home he'll come on a treat Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 11 2012, 00:16

I wouldn't increase the recommended amount yet. He should grow at a normal rate now that he is on good food.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 11 2012, 14:57

poor thing! did you see the other pups at all? was tank the runt?

If the pups are in that state then i hate to think what happened. normally the mums are in a right state but the pups are still good cause she deveotes all her energy to them

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down