Correct Diet and Measurements of Food?

5 posters

Go down

Correct Diet and Measurements of Food? Empty Correct Diet and Measurements of Food?

Post by Orange Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:42

Okay I would love your viewpoints in this question. I know there are advocates for all kibble and others for all raw so not really interested in arguments between the two camps.

I would just like to know what exact diet you put your dog on for a) Muscle building and b) Leaness or definition at the same time.

If you could I would like your products and measurements as often I see diet discussions that do not practically lay this out for people. So if 10 different people come up with 10 different diets then that's fine by me but just put the exact content and measurements (including vitamins etc) and why you feed this way.

Thanks. Smile

Orange
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Correct Diet and Measurements of Food? Empty Re: Correct Diet and Measurements of Food?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 15:32

I feed raw, but don't measure it out - I just go by how my dog looks!

Back to top Go down

Correct Diet and Measurements of Food? Empty Re: Correct Diet and Measurements of Food?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 16:09

same as caryll but i feed dry i just go off the way my boy is looking.
you must be doing something right as your girl looking good.
really the feeding question is just a new owner one after two years you will have a good idea yourself

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 16:14

but in answer to your question if your not total happy with your girls look ie not lean enough and a bit to much weight for your liking
you need to be feeding a higher protein food for the muscle mass and slightly less than what you been feeding to lean her out.
but as i stated before i dont see a problem with her size

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 26 2012, 16:23

Romeos actually been eating a lot more as he's been being exercised more recently as it getting lighter. He has about three handfuls of dry food a day and I also feed him a lot of chicken (because its low fat). Once a week he has red meat.
He has no special exercise other then plenty of off lead running, he has about an hour every weekday and three hours on saturday and sunday.
I'm not an advocate for either 'camp'. I would feed more raw but I don't have the time, space or money to store it all unfortunately. I think both diets are good. There are loads of good quality kibble foods out there, Barking Heads, Wainwrights, Fish4dogs, Lukkalus, Arden Grange, Burns and James Wellbeloved.
But do you want your dog to look like mine? You may have a different physique in mind. Some dogs have naturally larger frames then others and bitches tend to be smaller then dogs.
Correct Diet and Measurements of Food? Grey9

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Orange Mon Mar 26 2012, 16:55

Hi, He's a really lovely lad Love Struck I think I have her diet where I want it at present but was interested in a step by step of what others do so that I can reflect on it and the diversity of diet perspectives there are out there. I think giving a specific measurement (kind of template) will also help the new owner who can (as I originally did) overfeed their new little baby. You know what its like at first, asking questions but not getting specifics so just guessing and then overfeeding until later in the day we have to work it all out in the long run. But then again...I imagine there is something pleasurable in the process of working it all out. I imagine that's where experience is gathered.

Orange

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 26 2012, 17:04

It does say on the packets what sort of amount to feed but every dog is different. There's a way to work out how much meat they should get if you feed only raw to do with percentage of body weight.
I'm very poor at maths though and struggle to read numbers so I do it all by eye.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Orange Mon Mar 26 2012, 17:57

Now why didn't I think of that Laughing

Orange

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 18:28

I feed my boys raw and especially alot of red meat and give them plenty of exercise and they have lovely muscle tone, but i do like to keep them both lean though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 21:04

i feed dry and go by how much it says on the packet. i feed my dog because its a dog and needs feeding not for build or anything its just a damn dog that gets fed for its nutrition

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 00:06

I feed dry and go by the guidelines on the package and adjust for the treats she has had during the day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 00:45

jstaff wrote:I feed dry and go by the guidelines on the package and adjust for the treats she has had during the day.

then theres the breakfast on top. think my 2 would act as though thyre starved if they didnt get brekky Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 09:38

I go by what it says on the packet, but they usually advise on two numbers, a minimum and max for the weight of the dog so it could be anywhere in between.

Therefore I went for something around the middle and don't adjust when giving treats.

He is looking a lot better and has much more muscle tone compared when I got him. If I notice him getting fat I'll just adjust how much he gets.

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 09:49

the only thing i adjust is to give lottie a little less than it says because she always finishes what lemmy doesnt eat so if i was to give her a full portion to start with she would have more and i think she's big enough

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Tue Mar 27 2012, 10:26

I intent to swap to raw but feed fish4dogs kibble at the mo and the recommendations on the pack suit her - with her regular exercise, it maintains her health, tone, coat and weight nicely Smile
Taz
Taz
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Correct Diet and Measurements of Food? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : 'lil Miss Taz Devil Demoania ~ TAZ
Dog(s) Ages : 31:05:2011
Dog Gender(s) : She's a lady, a tinker, a beauty, an a real b!tch
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by paul_75 Tue Mar 27 2012, 14:38

id love to be able to eat meat myself never mind feed it to my dog Laughing mines always has a bowl of dried dog food and a bowl of the same stuff soaked in water, he also eats all the scraps left by the kids, hes just under 2 and could be doing with filling out a bit in his back end

paul_75
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down