raw food diet

+2
StuW
hunny9001
6 posters

Go down

Dog raw food diet

Post by hunny9001 Thu Apr 11 2013, 16:04

I have been reading up on the raw food diet and I was wondering what people opinion were of it Im not sure if that is something I want to do yet I would love to hear your a opinion on this subject is it a healthier way and getting your dog in shape and building muscles
hunny9001
hunny9001
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : mojo
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog Re: raw food diet

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 16:30

Very good diet! We have a few members on the raw diet - I used to, but for some reason Dempsey started to not do very well on it.

If you have any problems or questions, just ask!

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Thu Apr 11 2013, 16:34

My 2 are raw fed and doing brilliant on it! Lovely white teeth and gorgeous glossy coat Big Grin
StuW
StuW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 11 2013, 16:51

I think its great and varied, if I had the time and space then I would Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffymummy Thu Apr 11 2013, 16:53

My dog has been on it for approx 8 months & is doing great on it! There was an improvement in his skin and fur within a few weeks. His teeth are pearly white and he's never been in better shape.
Staffymummy
Staffymummy
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louis
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:23

I feed raw and always have done and always will! to me it is THE best diet I can give my dogs IMO

I am one the strange members here who gets all excited over buying food, and getting freebies >Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by hunny9001 Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:28

what kind of raw meat is suitable for this kind of diet could u I give him a mix of raw and dry dog food
hunny9001
hunny9001

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:34

hunny9001 wrote:what kind of raw meat is suitable for this kind of diet could u I give him a mix of raw and dry dog food

no i don't give any type of dog food at all, but if you must feed in separate meals

I feed EVERYTHING, from little chicken wings, to whole animals rabbits, squirrels, heads of animals Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by hunny9001 Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:37

ella wrote:
hunny9001 wrote:what kind of raw meat is suitable for this kind of diet could u I give him a mix of raw and dry dog food

no i don't give any type of dog food at all, but if you must feed in separate meals

I feed EVERYTHING, from little chicken wings, to whole animals rabbits, squirrels, heads of animals Smile

the only thing for me would be the cost of all that meat I would love to give him all meat but I don't know if my buget would be able for it Sad
hunny9001
hunny9001

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:44

hunny9001 wrote:
ella wrote:

the only thing for me would be the cost of all that meat I would love to give him all meat but I don't know if my buget would be able for it Sad

raw costs me alot lot less then it would to feed dry food. I've have a tiny budget and it costs me on average £10-15 a month altogether to feed a 23kg staff and 47kg ambull Wink hardly expensive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:46

I don't recommend getting all your food from supermarkets some yes and look for bargains, morrissons is the best!

Heres a list of suppliers:
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19502-raw-food-supplier-list

It works out cheaper if you have the room to buy in bulk

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Thu Apr 11 2013, 18:15

My dogs are all raw fed. They have a variety of mear - chicken, beef, lamb, rabbit, tripe.

They also get chicken necks, wings, feet. Venison ribs, lamb ribs, lamb bones.

Fruits and veggies

Offal

raw egg.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
raw food diet  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Thu Apr 11 2013, 18:16

I spend about £60-£70 (inc delievery) and that lasts 3 dogs about 8 weeks or more.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
raw food diet  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by hunny9001 Thu Apr 11 2013, 20:55

rescuestaffords wrote:I spend about £60-£70 (inc delievery) and that lasts 3 dogs about 8 weeks or more.

I will look into this I pay £12 for a 15kg bag of food it called wonder dog not sure if its any good
hunny9001
hunny9001

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Thu Apr 11 2013, 22:11

I feed my dog raw and am like Ella has just described herself: I get really excited when the butcher gives me some bones for my dog. I am just so into it.

Besides ME, there's my dog of course who looks great on it. I got him as a rescue in August last year and he smelled really badly and his fur was matt. His fur is very shiny now, you can almost see your reflection on a sunny day, and he really hardly smells at all. He is very lean and muscular, people often comment on it.

He loves his bones, and now I think about all the **** they put in dog food, or indeed cat food, I actually feel very guilty about having fed the really cheap stuff to my cats when I was younger.

Raw works out cheaper for me, as my butcher often gives me all sorts of bones and offal etc (turns out everyone who works there has a staffy too). If you're squeamish you may find it a little gross. I don't, I find it quite fascinating, actually - working out what he likes and what doesn't work so well.

I also feed Rupes fish (he likes it frozen as well as plain cold) and vegetable leftovers: he particularly loves peas and avocados. Actually, he will eat most things very happily!

The way I organise things now is that I do a big shop, bag it up in "meal size" portions and stick it in the freezer and then either give it to him frozen or defrost in fridge before.

Hope that helps.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by hunny9001 Fri Apr 12 2013, 08:59

Rupertsbooks wrote:I feed my dog raw and am like Ella has just described herself: I get really excited when the butcher gives me some bones for my dog. I am just so into it.

Besides ME, there's my dog of course who looks great on it. I got him as a rescue in August last year and he smelled really badly and his fur was matt. His fur is very shiny now, you can almost see your reflection on a sunny day, and he really hardly smells at all. He is very lean and muscular, people often comment on it.

He loves his bones, and now I think about all the **** they put in dog food, or indeed cat food, I actually feel very guilty about having fed the really cheap stuff to my cats when I was younger.

Raw works out cheaper for me, as my butcher often gives me all sorts of bones and offal etc (turns out everyone who works there has a staffy too). If you're squeamish you may find it a little gross. I don't, I find it quite fascinating, actually - working out what he likes and what doesn't work so well.

I also feed Rupes fish (he likes it frozen as well as plain cold) and vegetable leftovers: he particularly loves peas and avocados. Actually, he will eat most things very happily!

The way I organise things now is that I do a big shop, bag it up in "meal size" portions and stick it in the freezer and then either give it to him frozen or defrost in fridge before.

Hope that helps.
I will have to go to the butchers I will get a small amount to see if mojo will even eat it would that be the better thing to do 1st to see if he will like it and what kind of fish would u give to
hunny9001
hunny9001

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down