Feeding guidelines - ADVISE if you'll please!

3 posters

Go down

Feeding guidelines - ADVISE if you'll please! Empty Feeding guidelines - ADVISE if you'll please!

Post by Gabbiadini Tue Mar 20 2012, 18:26

Hi guys

Well Gabbi is still doing wonderfully, I have nothing to moan about...!!

Had her first walk yesterday which went remarkably smoothly once she got going, though she is scared of trains at the moment!!

Right, onto my point... i'm feeding her purely on James Wellbeloved Puppy Food (dry) - not giving her any human food apart from the odd frozen carrot (don't want her to get into the unneccesary habit of want my food!) and she gets a few treats a day whilst training (healthy ones, 4 cals per treat & rich in Omega 3), but my query is how much food DO YOU think I should be giving her??

If you'll take a look at the link below, you'll understand my query:-

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog_food/feeding_guidelines.aspx

So, for a puppy with an EXPECTED ADULT BODY WEIGHT of 10kg the feed in g/day goes:

190 then 195 then 190 then 190 (depending on months old - Gabbi is 3.5 months)

But for a puppy with an EXPECTED ADULT BODY WEIGHT of 20kg the feed in g/day goes:

305 then 325 then 320 then 315

Now, my understanding is that the expected adult body weight of a female staffy is 12-16kg so the mark is somewhere in between!

At the moment i'm feeding her 210g/day split into 3 meals... but I'd like some advice on what amount you would be feeding your female staffy puppy... I don't want to give her too much or, worse still, too little!

I asked the vet for advice, but he was next to useless!!

Sorry to go on - any help/advice would be much appreciated...
Gabbiadini
Gabbiadini
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Feeding guidelines - ADVISE if you'll please! Empty Re: Feeding guidelines - ADVISE if you'll please!

Post by Kathy Tue Mar 20 2012, 18:59

I know this wont be of much help but we feed Rocky James Welbeloved too.

As a guide he is now 2 years old and weighs 17 kilos.

We feed 2 meals a day of: 50grams of dry kibble and 10-15 grams of cooked chicken with skin and fat removed. He also has a few treats throughout the day when training totaling about another 20 grams approx.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Feeding guidelines - ADVISE if you'll please! Empty Re: Feeding guidelines - ADVISE if you'll please!

Post by janey Tue Mar 20 2012, 19:13

Been so long since I had a pup. Moo was 10mnths when I got her and I have only ever used the guidelines, as purely that, guidelines.

It depends on the amount of excersize she gets, I like to feel her ribs but not see them. Moo is also a bigger girl at 21kg.

But I guess for a pup its different? Can we have some updated pics please? Smile

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20 2012, 19:14

The trouble with the guidelines on the bag is that they are just that - guidelines. You need to find out your dog's needs by trial & error, I'm afraid.

Start off by feeding what the bag says & watch her weight. If she looks a bit thin, step up the amounts evenly. If it looks like she's getting a bit podgy, just cut back a little (again, spread evenly over the meals).

Sorry that wasn't what you wanted to hear, but it's the best I can offer! Big Grin

I'm no good with weighing food out, I've never done it. I just go by how the dog looks (mind you, Dempsey gets fed raw so the amounts would be different anyway!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20 2012, 19:57

same as caryll never been one for weighing food just trail and error but if you look and think if you were eating it how much would you have and scale it down it seemed to work for me.
if you look at a pup you can see how much it will take to fill up by size of there tummy if they look like a balloon after feeding your giving to much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20 2012, 21:03

I'm the same as Caryll and Wazza. I don't weigh Charlie's food. I've just moved him onto Doctor Johns Silver, and out of curiosity, I read the guidelines. It said that for his weight, he should be eating 260-390 gms a day. I feed Charlie twice a day, so I weighed out 320 gms, split it into two, and thought No Way! It didn't look anywhere near enough, he'd starve if I fed him that each day.

You really do need to work it out by trial and error, as said above. Because each dog is different, even if they weigh the same, they have different needs. Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20 2012, 21:10

my friend feeds his 7 month old american bulldog 600grm of beta large breed puppy food and a tin of butchers puppy food and half a chicken (cooked)everyday and he looks good on it no fat but he going to be a big lad lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20 2012, 21:16

Wow! That's alot! But if his dog is looking good on it, it's obviously right for him Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20 2012, 21:21

shontelle wrote:I'm the same as Caryll and Wazza. I don't weigh Charlie's food. I've just moved him onto Doctor Johns Silver, and out of curiosity, I read the guidelines. It said that for his weight, he should be eating 260-390 gms a day. I feed Charlie twice a day, so I weighed out 320 gms, split it into two, and thought No Way! It didn't look anywhere near enough, he'd starve if I fed him that each day.

You really do need to work it out by trial and error, as said above. Because each dog is different, even if they weigh the same, they have different needs. Good luck Smile

shon the owner of my local pet shop was telling me to try dr john dog food but the gold
how long have you been trying it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21 2012, 01:11

We go by the guidelines on the food and lessen the amount by how many treats she will get during the day. It's a trial and error process though that comes down to how active the dog is and how fast their metabolism is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabbiadini Wed Mar 21 2012, 15:00

OK thanks guys...maybe i'm trying too hard to get things exact lol...i'll stick as we are for now, she looks good and is energetic
Gabbiadini
Gabbiadini

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down