new home

Go down

new home Empty new home

Post by nitenurse Mon Dec 06 2010, 11:09

hi,im bringing a 21 month old female staffy [poppy]into a new home this weds,im not sure about how she will be in my car[we have a 2 hr trip]any suggestions please how to avoid her pining and to help her settle with me.cheers sandra x Smile

nitenurse
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : poppy
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

new home Empty Re: new home

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 11:11

Hi & new home Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

new home Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
new home Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
new home Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
new home Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
new home Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 11:15

I would get a crate for her to be in the car and one to use at home as well. Fill them both with blankets and toys. When u get her home start asap start the routine with her, dogs love routines and settle alot better when they have one. Decide where she will be sleeping, eating, if shes allowed on the sofa etc etc and stick to your rules. I do have alot more advice lol but ive got to go & get my daughter from play group! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 11:27

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I take it you mean that you will be bringing her home for the first time, not just moving house?

Do you know if she's used to car journeys?

Make sure she has her own blanket that she can feel comfortable on, and perhaps a couple of toys to keep her occupied, and ensure that you have a bottle of water & a bowl as she will be more thirsty if she's a little nervous. A crate for the car would be preferable if you can. Make several stops for her to relieve herself & get used to being with you. Talk quietly to her from time to time to reassure her.

Once you get her home, just let her wander around & explore in her own time. Let her know where her bed will be & where her food/water bowls are. Then, whatever routine you will have with her can start straight away. As Blaze says, they feel much more secure with a regular routine. Will you be using a crate for her?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 11:30

Hi and welcome to the forum wave

Reguarding the long trip for you and your new dog, make sure the dog has somewhere comfortable to be, plenty of blankets etc. Open the door/boot and let your new dog enter the car on their own accord. You can coax them in with treats, I find most dogs love hot dogs and cheese. To help with travel sickness don't feed the dog a full meal a few hours before traveling and make sure they get plenty of fresh water. Take a few stops along the way if needed to stretch and get fresh water.
Good luck I bet your an't wait. Don't forget to post plenty of pics of your new addition thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 11:39

wave and welcome to the forum, i cant add anything more to your travel query. its all been said

Back to top Go down

Post by nitenurse Mon Dec 06 2010, 12:29

thanks...everybody so helpful on here,,just hope poppy settles in well and doesnt fret too much..... batting eyelashes

nitenurse

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 12:34

Sraffs usually take things in their stride. As long as she has a routine, food & love (not necessarily in that order lol!) she'll fit in before you know it!

Don't forget to let us see some pics!

Back to top Go down

Post by nitenurse Mon Dec 06 2010, 12:41

thanks...will put some pix up at the end of the week x Big Grin

nitenurse

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09 2011, 11:13

Just wondered how things are now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 10:55

Hey, Sandra, did it all go ok? Is your pup settling well?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down