am i being cruel to out my 13 year old staff in kennels ?

4 posters

Go down

am i being cruel to out my 13 year old staff in kennels ? Empty am i being cruel to out my 13 year old staff in kennels ?

Post by snoopy Sun Feb 26 2012, 20:10

hi i put my staffy in kennels for only the 3rd time last week he has been twice in the last year , it was going to be for 3 nights , on the third day they rang me to get him as he was barking and had made himself sick and had diarrea from this , and they said it was not good for him to be there as he was so stressed , he was fine the first two days but the sunday he just wudnt stop, so we went and got him luckily we were only 3 hours away , when i picked him up he was fine bit hypo but not ill, we stopped on the way home to let him for a wee and a poo and he didnt have diarea , now also the kennels then phoned me and basically siad different kennel hands handle it differently and implied that my dog just got on there nerves with the barking , i asked how bad the diarea was and she implied that they get it in kennels and it stops as soon as they leave , is this true ? also she handed me back some of his food in containers , i pre soak it 30 mins before he eats it , they had put it in seperate containers and soaked it for the days he was there so basically it was soaked for each day on the friday he arrived so by the time monday would of come round that food was soaked in water for 4 days , is this safe ? sorry to go on but im so stressed bout what to do ...

snoopy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : snoop
Dog(s) Ages : 13
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

am i being cruel to out my 13 year old staff in kennels ? Empty Re: am i being cruel to out my 13 year old staff in kennels ?

Post by Steve Sun Feb 26 2012, 20:23

i wouldn't put my dog in kennels but other does i would put the barking and pooing down becasue he Nervous & dont want to be there

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

am i being cruel to out my 13 year old staff in kennels ? Empty Re: am i being cruel to out my 13 year old staff in kennels ?

Post by janey Sun Feb 26 2012, 20:28

Sounds like a very strange kennals myself and not one I would reccomend, which kennal was it?

I wouldn't put Moo in one, but others do and also do a lot of research before hand, Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 26 2012, 20:38

I think if I were you I would calmy sit down and write a letter to the kennels manager outlining your concerns over your dogs stay. See if you can find out who the manager is online if they have a website.

They can only put things right if they know what they are doing wrong. Let them know how they should have fed your dog and that dry food would not be mixed for 3/4 days prior to it being consumed.

I hope you did not pay the full cost of the stay for your dog and ask for some compensation.

Hope this helps a little.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopy Sun Feb 26 2012, 20:39

hi going to try another one in a couple weeks i have been given alot of advice on how to help my boy cope better , if this kennels suggest its best he dosent stay then i will not put him in ever again but something wasent right at the other place so i need to try again before i can make a decision on what to do about this kennels that i though was so good the first two times , cloud with a silver linning really as i found out how they soak the food which i wud not of done if i hadnt got him early Smile

snoopy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopy Sun Feb 26 2012, 20:45

the thing is they phoned me twice the tuesday after asking me to try again and i asked them about the food policy then (as on the day i picked him i just wanted to go home and it was such a rush i didnt stop to think bout wat they had done to the food my main concern was getting my boy home )and they said its just wat they do to be organised , i have spoke to other kennels on this and they soak the food like 20 to 30 mins before feeding and that it wud make the food stagnent if it was saoked for like four days . i will write a letter showing my concerns although i have voiced them as well to the kennels , fair enough my dog was stressed but no wonder he was sick if his food was 3 days stagnent and gone all hard again (he has it soaked due to not many teeth and he eats to quick , so its easy for him )

snoopy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Feb 26 2012, 20:48

caryll know a good kennel but i'm not sure if it's close to you.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopy Sun Feb 26 2012, 20:51

im in somerset

snoopy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Feb 26 2012, 20:54

when she come online she will tell you Smile she be coming on soon

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:32

The only kennel I know & could recommend is in Essex - many miles away from you!

Why does he go into kennels? You say he's been in a few times over the past year?

I think no matter what the kennel he was in is like, you may have to look at his age & wonder if it is fair to put him through that sort of stress at his age? Elderly dogs can get very stressed in kennels, and that can't be good for him.

Whilst I would definitely write to the kennel & outline my concerns, asking them for a full written explanation, I think you're going to have to do a bit of thinking about your dog's mental & physical health as well. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopy Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:45

he goes to kennels as i have moved house , and dont have my kind neighbour to help me Sad and we put him in to try him out last august and novemeber ready for our real holiday (3 nights away as i didnt wanna leave him to long) so the two trials went ok (not fantasic but ok) and then the real time away was unsuccesfull, i am going to see his vet tuesday to get some advice on dap collar and spray , i have him booked in at a kennels near sherborne for an afternoon and if he is ok im gunna try him for two nights each fortnight untill i go away in may but if he is like this again then i will not go away simple and if my family dont like it tough im not putting him through it , the kennel owner of this new highly recommende place was a vet for 20 years and they are busy so there be honest with me as there not crying out for trade and also the retired vet will tell me wats wat (i hope ) i really liked the other kennels at first and i am glad they were good enough to ring me but like i said there was the other issue of the food which made him poorly although i think i may be kidding my self that this was the reason , i just dont know wether to even risk trying him again , i just dont know .

snoopy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:07

I know that every dog is different (and every person!) but I wouldn't try the trial periods - it just confuses the dog & leads to panic attacks.

If you're going to put him in a kennel for your hols then just put him in for that week/2 weeks (however long you're going). By putting him in for a couple of days every so often he's getting stressed before he even goes in because he remembers the last time. Sad

I think that makes sense. hypnotised

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopy Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:17

yes thanku its for four days , now im confused as diff people tel me put him in for 2 days for every couple weeks then he remembers ur coming bck each time , anywaythanku for taking the time to talk to me Smile

snoopy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down