Any advice please.

3 posters

Go down

Any advice please. Empty Any advice please.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 23:28

Kenny is 9 months old, and more resently has taken great pleasure out of " humping" excuse the expression every cushion he can get at. Also, he's become quite distructive. Our family has been through quite alot in the past year, we've lost 2 family members and we've also moved house. So i feel his distructive behaviour could be that he's picked up on the stress and anxiaty around the house. I dont really want to get him neutered, but would if it's best for him. I feel he's a very confused and unsure. please help

Back to top Go down

Any advice please. Empty Re: Any advice please.

Post by janey Wed Feb 15 2012, 08:23

Hey, I have never had a male so not going to be a lot of help. I do no at that sort of age they will start to push boundries and your going to have to be very firm.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15 2012, 08:25

thanks janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15 2012, 08:39

So sorry for your loss. Moving home is considered to be as traumatic. The atmosphere in the home may well have contributed. Think of him as beeing the equivelent of a 14/15 year old boy. He is dealing with raging male hormones. Testing boundries is normal behaviour at this stage. You will need to revert to the basic and remain firm now especially. Just be calm but consistent with your boundaries and dont let him get away with anything you find to be unacceptable behaviour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15 2012, 08:53

good advice given, hope everything sorts itself out

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15 2012, 09:02

I'm so sorry that you've been through so much in such a short space of time.

Kenny will definitely be picking up on the stress & anxiety (both so understandable) in the home right now, and that could well be the cause of his destructiveness. I doubt that it's anything to do with him being entire. All you can do with that at the moment is to try to remove anything that can be destroyed while he'd not in your sight, and to teach him a really strong "leave" for when you actually see him start to chew anything. Maybe a crate for when you're out could help with this?

The humping, I'm afraid is so normal for a dog that age. His hormones are really starting to rage. I sympathise because I also have an un neutered male & went through exactly the same thing at the same age! Neutering may or may not solve the problem. Either way, I personally wouldn't even think about neutering until he's at least 18 months, preferably older (if at all!). At his age neutering could arrest his mental growth & possibly even his physical growth, and if this is the only problem you have, then I wouldn't do it.

Again, a strong "leave" will help, but you might have to resort to what I did....every time I left the room I'd put all the cushions on the top of the chairs/sofa to take away the temptation! Even now, occasionally he'll try - but he gives me a sideways glance first to see if I'm looking! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15 2012, 09:24

Thanks, you've been so helpfull. I'll certainly try you tips, thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15 2012, 09:27

good luck and let us know how it goes

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15 2012, 09:44

He could likely be testing his boundaries and it's very normal for them to do so. Back to basics and be consistant and it should sort itself out

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 18 2012, 00:16

i dont want to get him neutered but asked our vet what opions there are, aparently theres an implant, its given the same way as a micro chip, it lasts 6 months and gives you an idea of how the dog will be if neutered, personally id rather leave him be Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Feb 18 2012, 09:36

i would that yes he would be picking up on your stress. Neutering does not always solve the problems, try using a firm NO or LEAVE.

I would suggest that if you do get him neutered to leave this until he is about 18 months - 2 years old.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 18 2012, 12:25

kenny d wrote:i dont want to get him neutered
why is that? just curious thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 18 2012, 14:05

Im just dont want to put him through the discomfort. If it was medically necessary the i would. I think it's unnatural to remove his bits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19 2012, 01:55

kenny d wrote:i dont want to get him neutered but asked our vet what opions there are, aparently theres an implant, its given the same way as a micro chip, it lasts 6 months and gives you an idea of how the dog will be if neutered, personally id rather leave him be Smile

Yes, the suprelorin implant inhibits the production of testosterone & mimics the effects of castration to an extent. Although it won't be exactly the same, it will give an idea of the possible effects of neutering.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Tue Feb 21 2012, 14:36

I've never had a male but you're probably right, the stress and anxiety he's picking up will be from the move and loss of family members.
All I can suggest is when the act up and misbehave and push boundries is go back to basics and be firm.
Good luck! Smile
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down