Kennel cough

4 posters

Go down

Kennel cough Empty Kennel cough

Post by Brindlestaffy Mon Jan 16 2012, 16:36

Jeffs had a cough for a few days now, then Brock started with it this morning Sad spoke to the vets and they suggested it may be kennel cough. Booked them in today so we shall see. Have any of your dogs ever had it? If so, how long does it take to get rid of and can they still be walked? I'm sure the vet will tell me anyway but I just wondered before I go.
Brindlestaffy
Brindlestaffy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Brock and Jeff :)
Dog Gender(s) : Brock - female, Jeff - male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Kennel cough Empty Re: Kennel cough

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16 2012, 16:54

Tyson caught it a few months ago. Seems all his playmates at the park came down with it around the same time. It is contageous although by the time they are exhibiting symptoms it is too late(You will find it going through the whole area). The vet will give you antibiotics in all likelyhood and then it takes about a week for them to be symptom free. Walks should be kept to a minum (its like having flu for humans) and well away from other dogs while they are symptomatic.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jan 16 2012, 16:59

Moo had it last month. She was fine tbh and we didn't bother with the vets. She was incredibly dosile and slept a lot. Kept her on short walks and away from other dogs. I guess it lasted just over a week, and she really only appeared to cough if she got excited. Hope Brock and Jeff feel better soon Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16 2012, 17:15

One thing though is that if you plan to go away they will not be allowed into a kennel, and need to be clear of/have the kennel cough vacc for 10-14days before going in

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Jan 16 2012, 17:18

kennel cough can kill dogs..... my 2 had it it last around 2/3 weeks

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16 2012, 19:24

Millie had it a couple of years ago. It lasted a couple of weeks but even after it cleared up I had to keep her away from other dogs, no playing in the park with them or going to classes for another couple of weeks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16 2012, 21:02

Kennel cough's a funny thing. Some dogs will just have mild symptoms that last a few days and then clear up, others will be very poorly with it.

Either way, it's highly contagious, so I'd try and keep away from other dogs for the next couple of weeks. I had a Border Collie that developed kennel cough & she was very quiet & sleepy for about 2 or 3 days but then brightened up, although the coughing lasted about 14 days, if I remember right.

There is a vaccination for it, but it's a bit like the flu - it'll cover one strain of KC, but being a virus there are often many strains going around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno_3 Tue Jan 17 2012, 10:26

Equi is right it's usually 2wks before it removes...we had it in our area last year and i phoned the vets to see if bruno could have the jab save him catching it and they would'nt give it him as apprentley they only give it out when there's a bad epidemic being so expensive but lucky he did'nt get it thank god.

Besides the jab there's an home remedy way of doing it..if you have a humidifer in your home keep your staff to that room and also feed your staff on chicken soup as it helps the throat with soreness and that helps to remove it and if you've not got a humidifer but have a shower take your staff in the shower and shut the door for an hour each day and the steam off the shower does the same job Smile .

Bruno_3
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17 2012, 10:28

hope Jeffs feeling a bit better today

Back to top Go down

Post by Brindlestaffy Tue Jan 17 2012, 17:52

Went to the vets last night, it is kennel cough Sad got antibiotics for 10 days. Both have started really coughing today bless them
The worst thing is that because jeff is coughing so hard his lipstick pops out and gets stuck, it has to be physically put back in! He keeps looking at me as if to say "mam, this is so wrong!"
Brindlestaffy
Brindlestaffy

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Brock and Jeff :)
Dog Gender(s) : Brock - female, Jeff - male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jan 17 2012, 17:58

The shame, the shame Laughing

Thats why I have girls! Hope there feeling better really soon Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno_3 Tue Jan 17 2012, 18:48

Hi Claire,

I do hope jeff & brook are better soon and it's terrible when you've got those eyes looking at you when they're bad Smile

I just love you Avatar pic how you've captured them looking in opposite direction applause

Bruno_3

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down