kennel cough

2 posters

Go down

kennel cough  Empty kennel cough

Post by kirstyleigh Wed Sep 07 2016, 16:56

Little bit advice this morning bella coughed a couple of times and coughed up some white flem I was concerned Because she was a little warm I know it's been warm the past few days but this was like she was burning up she wasn't panting though anyway took her to the vets this morning and he gripped her throat or round that area and said if she coughs she has kennel cough she coughed an he told me it's kennel cough but she hasn't coughed once since I've got home I thought kernel cough meant the dog coughed none stop is this the beginning if kernel cough I am going for a second opinion at another local vets tomorrow but my main concern is the antibiotics she has been given she has not long had a dose of antibiotics and she also is still on on steriods for something else does anyone else had issues with kennel cough if so how Is it diagnosed she us up to date with Fleaing worming and yearly boosters
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

kennel cough  Empty Re: kennel cough

Post by gillybrent Thu Sep 08 2016, 09:24

many years ago i had a dog with kennel cough. It started quite suddenly with a dry, 'reaching' sort of cough & my dog was quite distressed. my vet advised a teaspoon of honey three times a day to ease the throat & antibiotics to prevent secondary problems like lung inflammation. as kennel cough is a virus, antibiotics don't affect it directly, the body has to build immunity to that strain of virus.

please do get a second opinion & make sure they know what medication she is taking/has taken recently.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by kirstyleigh Thu Sep 08 2016, 12:18

Hiya I went and took bella to a different  vets this morning and they said she hadn't got kennel cough and even if she did have it she wouldn't of prescribed  antibiotics  I'm going to get her a vacinema  that stops kennel cough  as soom as i can
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh

Status Status :

Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Sep 08 2016, 18:23

you should know that tge KC vaccine (squirted into the dog's nostrils) is only effective against prevalent strains around at the time. Your dog can still contract a different strain of the virus & the 'squirt' will have littleor no effect.

How is she now?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down