Scare tactics..

Go down

Scare tactics.. Empty Scare tactics..

Post by Maxien78 Fri Oct 14 2011, 20:55

What do you think about it when training?

i'm not talking about scaring the life out of the poor things, i mean things like random noises when they're doing something bad. I ask because i watched a training video and the woman training the owners of puppies had a coke can full of coins, she said if the dog starts chewing on furniture or gets into things he/she shouldn't she would throw the can near to where the dog is,not at the dog but close by to scare the dog away from what it's doing. I thought this to be a good idea until this evening i watched Dog Whisperer.

In the episode of Dog Whisperer a family had a poodle that was petrified of going through patio doors, it would run and scramble away from just the sight of this door being open. It stemmed from when the owners had a screen put on the door that is on a roller, when it is unhacked it snaps back and rolls up. Well they said there was an incident where they had the door open and the screen on but they didn't mark the screen so the dog ran into th screen and made the screen snap back making a loud noise. Since that one incident the dog was petrified of that patio door when the door was open. The Dog Whisperer managed to help her overcome that fear, but the whole thing makes me wonder if its safe to use scare tactics when training.

Having the dog be scared of biting furniture is fine i suppose but the dog won't see it as being scared of biting the furniture, it may become scared of the furniture.

Has anyone else used scare tactics successfully?

Sorry for the long post Tongues
Maxien78
Maxien78
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphire
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Scare tactics.. Empty Re: Scare tactics..

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 20:58

we have a plastic bottle with some pea stones in the bottom. its not to scare the living day lights out of like you say its just to shock them out of theat mind set they are in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Fri Oct 14 2011, 21:01

It all sounds like a brilliant idea, i just don't want to scare the life out of my dog lol

I suppose the poor poodle is an example of how good scare tactics are in terms of training, but i suppose its down to how much you use it and how far you go with it.
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphire
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 21:07

sapphire is alittle young really. she's only atiny baby and would respond better with treats and praise rather than noises. its only the bigger ones like my stubborn lemmy that need the extra gentle bit of persuation to stop doing something. at sapphires age she will be easily distracted from the naughty thing her selective hearing isnt developed yet Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 21:28

WE use a bottle with rocks in it as well. I wouldn't do it with such a young pup though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down