+3
first tri
Kathy
janey
7 posters

Go down

Big scare Empty Big scare

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 16:14

The blue sky and sunshine here belies a bitterly cold day with the wind chill factor bringing the temp down to -1C. So when the garden guy arrived this morning, I suggested hemight take Tyson for a long exhausting walk (as he often does) while I stay under the covers awhile longer.

An hour and a half later, I get a call from Petson to say that Tyson slipped his collar and ran off about 6 blocks from home. In a flat panic, I jump in the Jeep which is diesel and doesnt like the cold so I battle to start the damn thing. My heart is racing and my palms are sweating wondering where my boy could run to and thanking the heavens that the roads around me are really quiet on Sundays.

Eventually the thing starts and I reverse out (I had pressed the button to open the gate when I first got in) and start to close the gate thinking I will leave it open a dog width in case he makes it home while I am looking. I look through the gate down the drive as it is closing and there, sitting on the patio is Tyson with a quizzicle expression on his face like 'Ma where ya going?'

My relief was boundless. Petson was shortly behind and told me that Tyson had pulled out of his lead when they tried to avoid a large puddle which my boy cannot resist. Apparently, he stopped at every curb but as soon as Petson caught up off he went. And he came directly home. I am in some ways pleased that I at least know that he is likely to make for home under these circumstance and I am glad he stopped at the curbs. Not that it would do too much good if he bounds over the road though. I dont want to s

Back to top Go down

Big scare Empty Re: Big scare

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 16:18

I feel your pain. Dempsey did this when he was 8 months old! You feel like your heart's in your mouth & your brain doesn't belong to you, you can't think properly at all!

So glad he found his way home - he's a clever lad!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jul 15 2012, 16:21

Made me feel sick reading it! Thank god he was ok, and you >Big Grin<
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 16:23

It's one of those things when your mind tells you everything bad that could possibly happen, has happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 16:25

Pleased he got home safe Lynne. That's one of the reasons I prefer a harness to a collar. One morning in a rush to get Tilly up to the vets (I was walking and a nice day) I went out without her harness and she slipped her collar right outside the vets when she sussed where she was going and it's right on a busy main road, she can't do that in her harness

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 17:50

Glad he came home okay. Lexi used to be a nightmare to keep in until we figure out she could open the gate lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 18:35

Caryll wrote:It's one of those things when your mind tells you everything bad that could possibly happen, has happened.

Too right Caryll. I was a mess even though this whole episode was 15 minute max

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jul 15 2012, 18:45

Good boy Tyson for back home safe and sound and also naughty boy for slipping you collar. Thank goodness he has had such good training from his Mummy and knew what to do. It does pay off sometimes when we least expect it.

Again this is why I also prefer a harness to collar for walking (although Rocky does always have his collar on when out walking too).
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by first tri Sun Jul 15 2012, 18:53

Phew! You could've put in the title that it had a happy ending, my heart was in my mouth!
Horrible feeling - dreadfull in the real sense of the word. So glad he used his brains and came home safe and sound.
first tri
first tri
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benson
Dog(s) Ages : 4 (14/12/2007)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:50

Dave wrote:Pleased he got home safe Lynne. That's one of the reasons I prefer a harness to a collar. One morning in a rush to get Tilly up to the vets (I was walking and a nice day) I went out without her harness and she slipped her collar right outside the vets when she sussed where she was going and it's right on a busy main road, she can't do that in her harness

Glad Ty was okay they can really make you worry. We use a collar and harness because Suki has escaped as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Jul 16 2012, 09:10

Skibadee used to do the exact same thing! Whenever a family member or friends tried to take her out she used to run home. It is terrifying though, especially when you know they have to cross roads to get there.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Mon Jul 16 2012, 09:16

Omg ! Thankgod he came home.

I used to use a harness on Diesel but she backed out of it on 2 occasions and ran off like a demented case !! Always use the collars now for my 2.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Mon Jul 16 2012, 11:41

Thank god he came home and was ok. LuLu has run off while on a walk before. I was frantic looking for her and shouting. After about 20 mins I went home to tell OH so he could help me look and there she was sat on the doorstep wagging her tail doh I was so relieved though!

When we had Tyson he used to slip out of a harness. He did it once outside a shop, and then he did it as soon as the harness went on so it was just collars for him.
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Big scare Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Jul 16 2012, 12:55

So pleased he found his way home, hes a good boy. I always use a harness that you can also clip to the collar too. collar is loose for comfort, but I make sure it cant still come off over her head. That is one of the very reasons, when we had Pixee, we took her everywhere round by where we live, so she can find her way home should this ever happen. So pleased for you all.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16 2012, 13:07

So glad he got home ok, its horrible when they do that. I've been in tears before when Millie has ran off. She can slip out of leads and harnasses but now when she manages it she doesn't take off running thankfully.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down