Jackieb
Cyril baby
mickgill
Galadriel
8 posters

Go down

Had a bit of a Scare :( Empty Had a bit of a Scare :(

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 13:33

I got Loki a bone from Pets At Home yesterday and gave it to him not too long ago. Anyway, I saw him swallow this MASSIVE chunk of meat/fat from it (seriously, it was like the size of his head), and then he suddenly started whining and howling, running all over the place, banging into things. I was absolutely terrified Sad I was getting ready to take him to the vet, but then he vomited (licked it up too) and was completely fine as soon as he brought it up. Back to looking for food, running around, playing, no more crying, etc. I called the vet's anyway and they said it probably just got stuck and it was hurting him or he was panicking, and to see how he is the next few hours. I think he's OK, but obviously if anything changes I'll be going. That was scary Sad it reminded me of when my old dog died, I was ready to burst into tears. Needless to say, I don't trust him with any food besides tiny treats now. I don't suppose there's any way of teaching him not to scoff giant chunks of food? For a fast learner, he really is an idiot for that.

Back to top Go down

Had a bit of a Scare :( Empty Re: Had a bit of a Scare :(

Post by Galadriel Thu Sep 06 2012, 13:38

Nightmare Sad

What sort of bone was it?

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Thu Sep 06 2012, 13:44

Sounds like it gave him that feeling us humans get when we have swallowed something to big or to quickly if you have ever done it you will know it hurts like hell , same for your Loki i reckon , when i did this as a kid my mum would say that's greed for you Laughing . proves how much our dogs are like Smile kids , glad he is fine now .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 14:34

Never, never, never give cooked bones! PAH & Wilkos have need heavily critisised recently for their bones splintering.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 14:38

I can't even remember what kind of bone it was but it was from Pets At Home so I thought he'd be OK. Ugh, this is the last time he eats anything unless I cut them up into smaller pieces first. I love how quickly he got over it though, me and my mum were shaking from the shock of it all, and he vomited and quickly went back to playing!

And Caryll, I knew not to give cooked bones, but I assumed the ones from Pets At Home wouldn't be cooked since they're for dogs. In this case it was the meat as opposed to the bone though, he never eats the bone, thankfully. Thanks for letting me know that their bones aren't good though, no more of them from now on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 14:52

All of their bones are cooked. What he probably ate a bit of gristle. When raw they can be easily chewed up, but cooked they are harder & dogs tend to swallow them whole.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 15:32

Don't cut things up that is more likely to cause them to choke on them!

Just don't give any of the bones from p@h or wilkos they are cooked and are very dangerous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Thu Sep 06 2012, 15:58

it is much better to get bones from a butcher, Morrisons do sometimes have raw bones in that are suitable for dogs, they are sold to make stock. Big Grin The are usually either lamb or beef bones.

I give my dogs either a raw chicken wing or raw rib from lamb or pork, it keeps their teeth clean and they have something to chew on. Chicken wings and backs are fine as long as they are raw.

Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Had a bit of a Scare :( Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Sep 06 2012, 16:47

Avoid avoid ! Best thing u can buy for Debo at pets at home is a large stagbar !!!

Avoid all the other bone looking stuff, too dangerous xx
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 17:34

Why would they sell cooked bones when it's well known they can be so dangerous? That's just terrible :\

I am sure it was that he gulped down a giant piece of the meat though, rather than the bone. I mean, it was HUGE, so that in itself isn't a bone problem, just an "I want to eat as much as possible" problem. Difficult. Maybe I'll try him with an uncooked bone from somewhere else when he's older, but I doubt it, it's terrified me. Thanks for letting me know the bones are cooked though, I didn't realise, and I'm glad this time, whether it was the bone or the meat, it wasn't serious.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 06 2012, 17:39

Piglets, all of them!! Glad Loki is ok though, they are such a worry!

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu Sep 06 2012, 17:51

I wouldn't give chicken with or without bones. Even uncooked bones can splinter and cause damage plus the risk of salmonella. As for pork, uncooked, can carry the INCURABLE Aujeszky virus!!
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 18:22

reuben wrote:I wouldn't give chicken with or without bones. Even uncooked bones can splinter and cause damage plus the risk of salmonella. As for pork, uncooked, can carry the INCURABLE Aujeszky virus!!

Raw chicken bones do not splinter and the salmonella isn't a worry either with dogs, chicken bones make up a good part of my dogs diet as they are raw fed.

Also raw pork is fine to feed if it's british and that makes up an even bigger part of their diet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 21:35

GLad that Loki is okay

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Thu Sep 06 2012, 21:46

what a scare for you,glad to hear Loki is ok now >Big Grin<
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 21:53

ANattyRat wrote:I am sure it was that he gulped down a giant piece of the meat though, rather than the bone.

The problem with cooked meat on a bone is that it comes away very easily - therefore the dog can pull off huge chunks & swallow them. With raw bones the meat is still very firmly attached & has to be ripped & gnawed off and they tear off small bits which are no problem.

reuben wrote:I wouldn't give chicken with or without bones. Even uncooked bones can splinter and cause damage plus the risk of salmonella. As for pork, uncooked, can carry the INCURABLE Aujeszky virus!!

As Ella says, raw chicken bones are fine, they don't splinter and are quite bendy. Aujeszky disease has been eradicated from the UK, by testing & slaughter of infected stock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07 2012, 00:03

Also, while on the subject, do raw bones splinter at all? I ask because I thought the uncooked bones were fine, but when we phoned the vet's and explained the situation, we were told that they don't recommend any bones at all because they see so many dogs come in with problems due to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07 2012, 01:34

No they don't splinter raw bones are safe to give

Back to top Go down

Post by x0gawjus0x Sat Sep 08 2012, 11:52

Lol vinnie never ever chews his food either Sad i expect he was panicing as it was stuck in his throat or something, i had a potato stuck in my throat once i couldnt breathe or anything lol it was so scary i paniced eventually it came up felt like a life time but was probably only 5 or 10 secs!

poor doggy hopefully t hat will teach him not to have eyes bigger than his belly cowboy
x0gawjus0x
x0gawjus0x
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 10/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 08 2012, 12:00

Glad he was ok. Bella is the same, she seems to inhale food instead of eating it Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 08 2012, 14:50

He hasn't learnt his lesson, he still inhales his food :\ I think he just doesn't understand the concept of chewing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down