Best way to discourage barking??

4 posters

Go down

Best way to discourage barking?? Empty Best way to discourage barking??

Post by pete123 Sun Oct 09 2011, 22:44

I'm reading various views regarding the best techniques to discourage your dog from barking. However, I would love to hear from fellow staffy owners who may have used particular techniques that worked. I live in an apartment block with neighbours all around me. Every so often my 5 month old pup will start barking randomly, usually at me. He is really well exercised, receives plenty of metal stimulation and is well fed and watered. I'm not sure why he might be barking and best way to prevent it [with this breed]. Any suggestions would be great as I am concerned that the dog will end up upsetting my neighbours. Thanks.

pete123
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Best way to discourage barking?? Empty Re: Best way to discourage barking??

Post by Ben Mon Oct 10 2011, 21:55

Have you asked the neighbors if it is a problem? I'd just let them know to speak with you if they are bothered so you can avoid a complaint. Sometimes people are a little more patient when they know you are working with the puppy to stop the barking. I'm not really sure how to discourage other than a strong "quiet" command when he begins barking. Mine doesn't really bark (except at the cat), but he stops when told. It might work to redirect him and when he begins doing something you like, give him a reward. Perhaps someone else on here has more experience with a barker...
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10 2011, 22:02

I think the only way is to teach "Quiet", and speak to your neighbours to explain that you're working on it. You'll probably find that they're not that bothered!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Oct 10 2011, 22:04

I also live in an appartment so I can guess how you feel. Good advice at having a word the neighbours though.

Mine also doesn't bark but when gets vocal I just say enough and she stays quiet, yours will learn too, sorry not much help Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10 2011, 23:45

we have taught all the dogs we have had to SPEAK then QUIET. basicaly you teach them to bark on command. say SPEAK when the dog barks then QUIET to get them to stop and pretty soon you will be able to tell it to shut up and it understand what you mean.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Thu Oct 20 2011, 17:54

I had this problem with Jack whenever he was outside and wanted to come in...he would bark and bark until we eventually let him in. What I was told to do from a trainer expert and it has worked.....take the dog outside and leave him out there....wait for he/she to start barking and then throw a big cup of water of em. Keep doing that for 2-3 days whenever you let the outside and they'll stop.
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down