Puppy treats???

2 posters

Go down

Puppy treats??? Empty Puppy treats???

Post by Ruby&Me Mon Oct 03 2011, 16:18

HELLO!! Big Grin

Ok, so...I'm starting early with Beau, 10 min training sessions twice a day (I say training but he is such a lil monster, not sure I'll get as far as 10 min!!) I usually use treats as a reward for good behaviour and slowly faze them out, only all the puppy treats in PAH are for puppy's over 4 months, Beau is 8 weeks Wednesday.

So I was just wondering if there was anything I can give him, or anything I can make to give him?

Also Currently he is on raw lamb mince and a small handful of James wellbeloved biscuits at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7pm (as per instructions of Beaus breeders) and as I have previously said would like to get him and Ruby on barf but need to be organised (bit OCD) And need some one to tell me exactly what to give them and how much?

Cheers luvies

Xxxxxxxxx
Ruby&Me
Ruby&Me
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Puppy treats??? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby and Beau
Dog Gender(s) : Girl and Boy <3
Support total : 9

https://www.facebook.com/CarlaMOFO

Back to top Go down

Puppy treats??? Empty Re: Puppy treats???

Post by Aniemother Mon Oct 03 2011, 17:47

For an 8 week old I think 5 minute training passes are more than enough . And play-break (or another kind of break, like giving you kisses) after every 4-6 treats.

Train indoors in a quiet place to begin with, the bathroom is often good. I would try using the kibble (instead of giving it as a meal) or raw mince or other raw meat in tiny (pea size) pieces since this is what you are feeding. Small and soft is generally best, so giving mince (you can use a tea spoon and just give a little at a time from a bowl so you don't have to get your hands dirty) or raw meat is ideal. If you want something non-raw and kibble isn't too popular or you don't want to use dry treat (they require extra chewing time) small pieces of hot dog or cheese are usually popular, or a tube of cheese or liver pate if you get those can be easy to use (just squeeze out a tiny amount per treat).
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Mon Oct 03 2011, 17:54

As for what and how much to feed you should find plenty about this in the nutrition area, but generally 1-3% of the puppy's ideal ADULT body weight (or, in reality, as much as puppy wants to eat) and it should be made up of 80% muscle meat, 10% organs and 10% edible bones. Chicken is the best place to start - just buy whole chickens and cut them into meal size pieces. Once she's happily eating the chicken and the stomach has adjusted you can start adding more kinds of meat (one at a time and gradually) and the organs. Aim for at least a week or two with just chicken (it's got a bit more bone in than you want in the long term, making the stools firm up better initially) you can start adding new things. Once the puppy is used to the different meats and organ you start the actual balanced diet of 80-10-10, but the first month or so you gradually increase the complexity.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 21:20

Steamed and sliced sweet potatos are good as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down