Lead pulling and then not?

4 posters

Go down

Lead pulling and then not? Empty Lead pulling and then not?

Post by Radiantpaper Tue Sep 27 2011, 12:22

Hi

When I walk Bella by myself, the other half or the kids she is perfect in every way, yet when I take her out with our other dog a Jack Russel x, she pulls like there is no tomorrow, so much so she has worn away her fur under her chin.

Is this normal? The pulling bit lol
Radiantpaper
Radiantpaper
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2

http://www.zestlifecoaching.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Lead pulling and then not? Empty Re: Lead pulling and then not?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27 2011, 12:27

She may be trying to get ahead of your other dog & she's getting over excited by the prospect of a game with her pal!

You probably need to do some heel work training with them both - one walking on one side & one walking on the other.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27 2011, 13:20

I find that they pull a bit at the start of the walk. I think it's just a bit of built up energy needing to be burned off. If it's an issue just turn around when she starts to pull and have her sit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Radiantpaper Tue Sep 27 2011, 14:31

Will give it a go. its a knight mare also to get the lead on as she goes mental!
Radiantpaper
Radiantpaper

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27 2011, 14:32

Yer i would try heel training to get her to walk better Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by ditmarscage Tue Sep 27 2011, 21:42

I know what you're going through - I've raised many dogs from puppies in my life and have NEVER had as much trouble as I had with our Staffy training him to stay beside us and not pull!!

We tried many things - holding a stick/cane in front of him to stop him (he wanted to bite it), stopping every time he went ahead - the whole neighborhood thought we were nuts the first few months we had him I'm sure.

What I finally found worked for our boy was to start with baby steps, almost literally, and use lots of treats.

Start with him beside you, with a loose lead at your side. Take one step forward - if he doesn't go ahead of your foot, say "good boy" and reward him with a treat. If he does, say no and take a step backward, and start over again. Then move to 2 steps, 3, 10, etc... sounds agonizing I know... and it is, but IT IS SO WORTH IT!!! Walks now are a joy.

Since we've lived in the UK, every staffy owner I see is walking or (should I say being walked) like this:

Lead pulling and then not? Pulling

Lead pulling and then not? Pulling2

Lead pulling and then not? Pulling_funny

I should also add that nine out of ten Staffies I see here have harnesses on. I believe a lot of people have been convinced that a harness will give them more control over their staffy.

The truth is actually the exact opposite.
The reason dog harnesses were invented by humans in the first place were for the PURPOSE of pulling. Tracking, pulling sleds, carts, etc. Wearing the harness actually increases the need to pull in our staffies. They think they're helping us! Bless them, haha.

In conclusion, DON'T GIVE UP! It will be well worth it in the end. Best of luck to you!!
ditmarscage
ditmarscage
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ditmars
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby&Me Tue Sep 27 2011, 22:18

Not knocking your opinion ditmarscage it wasnt me but...I think i have to disagree on the harness thing, in our case ruby was worse with a collar, we tried everything from half choke, leather, nylon anything, when we got the harness she stopped straight away........in conclusion.......all dogs are different, it's all trial and error thumbs up

There are some fab videos on YouTube, but the technique ditmarscage has given (baby steps) is brilliant, when you think you have had enough...anythings worth a try xxx
Ruby&Me
Ruby&Me
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Lead pulling and then not? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby and Beau
Dog Gender(s) : Girl and Boy <3
Support total : 9

https://www.facebook.com/CarlaMOFO

Back to top Go down

Post by ditmarscage Tue Sep 27 2011, 22:33

Very true... if it works I say stick with it! Every harness I've seen might not have been used correctly either which probably swayed my opinion as well Smile
ditmarscage
ditmarscage

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ditmars

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_tris Tue Sep 27 2011, 23:19

ditmarscage wrote:Start with him beside you, with a loose lead at your side. Take one step forward - if he doesn't go ahead of your foot, say "good boy" and reward him with a treat. If he does, say no and take a step backward, and start over again. Then move to 2 steps, 3, 10, etc... sounds agonizing I know... and it is, but IT IS SO WORTH IT!!! Walks now are a joy.
I've been using this method with Spartan for the last couple of weeks on a lead in the house and in my girlfriends back garden. Just did a bit with him every couple of days, his 2nd injection is on Monday so we've still got a short wait yet before he can be taken out fully. We're both very excited to be able to take him for his first walk and know it's going to be great doing it. Smile
mr_tris
mr_tris
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Spartan

https://plus.google.com/115888629720808787358/

Back to top Go down

Post by Radiantpaper Wed Sep 28 2011, 13:18

ditmarscage wrote:I know what you're going through - I've raised many dogs from puppies in my life and have NEVER had as much trouble as I had with our Staffy training him to stay beside us and not pull!!

We tried many things - holding a stick/cane in front of him to stop him (he wanted to bite it), stopping every time he went ahead - the whole neighborhood thought we were nuts the first few months we had him I'm sure.

What I finally found worked for our boy was to start with baby steps, almost literally, and use lots of treats.

Start with him beside you, with a loose lead at your side. Take one step forward - if he doesn't go ahead of your foot, say "good boy" and reward him with a treat. If he does, say no and take a step backward, and start over again. Then move to 2 steps, 3, 10, etc... sounds agonizing I know... and it is, but IT IS SO WORTH IT!!! Walks now are a joy.

Since we've lived in the UK, every staffy owner I see is walking or (should I say being walked) like this:

Lead pulling and then not? Pulling

Lead pulling and then not? Pulling2

Lead pulling and then not? Pulling_funny

I should also add that nine out of ten Staffies I see here have harnesses on. I believe a lot of people have been convinced that a harness will give them more control over their staffy.

The truth is actually the exact opposite.
The reason dog harnesses were invented by humans in the first place were for the PURPOSE of pulling. Tracking, pulling sleds, carts, etc. Wearing the harness actually increases the need to pull in our staffies. They think they're helping us! Bless them, haha.

In conclusion, DON'T GIVE UP! It will be well worth it in the end. Best of luck to you!!

LOL thanks for the advice, I look like the one in the last picture!
Radiantpaper
Radiantpaper

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down