Best food type

4 posters

Go down

Best food type Empty Best food type

Post by sean1manc Mon Sep 12 2011, 22:03

Hi
I am feeding my 10 month old puppy on Royal Cannin Medium Junior. which is keeeping her in tip top condition, the only problem is she seems to hates it and only eats it as a last resort. Tried gravy which helps sometimes but not always and adding an egg which she eats but leaves the dry food, she was eating it find but seems to of gone right off it. I have bought two 18kg bags so dont really want to change she gets a little raw and some nice bones as well which she loves but she wont eat her dry food untill she really is starving and even then she may not eat any for a whole day. Help
sean1manc
sean1manc
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Gilly
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Best food type Empty Re: Best food type

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12 2011, 22:24

when mine went off his dry i would put a little bit weebox in with it and he would wolf it down.
but dont worry she wont let herself starve

Back to top Go down

Post by kenziie Mon Sep 12 2011, 22:26

i find that staffies are stubburn when it come too food lol
kenziie
kenziie

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miya

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13 2011, 08:24

billy went off dry and would not eat it whatever we oput with it, in the end we switched to raw and threw the dry away

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Tue Sep 13 2011, 09:06

Salmon Oil from fish for dogs is good for fussy eaters, or the salmon mouse they do.

But best thing with fussy eaters is to simpley not make a big deal, put the food down if they dont eat it fine take it up after 10 mins. Dont give them treats or anything to eat till next meal time do the same again put the food down if they dont want it fine take it up after 10 mins rinse and repeat. Only if they are underweight, ill or not eaten for like a week is it time to resort to something else.

Aslong as the dog is not ill then dont play into the game of them choosing what they get, of course they will hold out for something better if your prepared to allow them to do this. But really not a good road to go down, Molly was quite fussy when she was young we went through changing food brands, adding stuff to it to make it taste nicer, encouraging her to eat, taking the food out her bowl to eat, ect.

Non of that worked for long, only thing that worked was to get tough an say fine you dont want it well you wont get nothing till next meal time.

Its like your kids they wont eat the healthy food if they know by not eating they will get burger and chips. An they will hold out and eat nothing for main meal if they know they will be able to fill up on treats/sweets after anyway.

Last edited by johneva on Tue Sep 13 2011, 09:39; edited 1 time in total
johneva
johneva
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Sep 13 2011, 09:32

Totally agree with John, Moo can be fussy she can go a couple of days without eating, but if I don't pander to it she soons get back into the patern of eating and finishing it again. XX
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13 2011, 10:31

johneva wrote:But best thing with fussy eaters is to simpley not make a big deal, put the food down if they dont eat it fine take it up after 10 mins. Dont give them treats or anything to eat till next meal time do the same again put the food down if they dont want it fine take it up after 10 mins rinse and repeat. Only if they are underweight, ill or not eaten for like a week is it time to resort to something else.

Its like your kids they wont eat the healthy food if they know by not eating they will get burger and chips. An they will hold out and eat nothing for main meal if they know they will be able to fill up on treats/sweets after anyway.

Totally agree. If you don't want to switch to another type of food (ie raw) then don't buckle under! Very few dogs will starve themselves and will eat when they are hungry.

Just seen your dog's age. How many meals do you feed her a day?

Back to top Go down

Post by sean1manc Sun Sep 18 2011, 19:57

Thank you all for your advice. It makes sence to just stick with it and take it away after 10 mins.

Oh and I feed her twice a day early morning and evening. I read that I could reduce to 1 feed a day but (i may be wrong here) i feel twice a day is better.

Once again thank you all for your advice its helped reasure me.
sean1manc
sean1manc

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Gilly
Dog(s) Ages : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Sep 18 2011, 20:08

Some people do feed once a day, personaly I think twice is better, but its choice Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 00:43

I prefer twice because it helps to reduce the incidence of bloat. I also think that an active staff eats so much that one meal a day is too much all in one go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down