Bones in poo!

2 posters

Go down

Bones in poo! Empty Bones in poo!

Post by ardvark Tue Aug 30 2011, 12:23

Forgot to add to my other post but we also give the roasted type bones from the pet shop once a week or so and our dog doesn't take long to demolish them etc. My dh has noticed recently that our dog had passed small slithers in his poo. I am unsure of what to do as there is potential for harm internally here. He is fed raw chicken bones which are thicker that he does not pass through in bits like that (we could tell it was a slither from the cooked type bone on inspection !!!!) should we eliminate these from his diet or reove then when he splits them? We have stopped giving them to him atm and have been giving him 'jurassic' bones which are much more of a challenge and fairing well so far! Should we avoid the cooked type ones full stop do you think? We are going to try and source some raw ones from a butcher but our local one doesn't do big bones Rolling Eyes
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bones in poo! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Bones in poo! Empty Re: Bones in poo!

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30 2011, 12:55

Please don't give cooked bones to your dog - they can splinter & cause damage to the internal organs leading to illness and possibly death!

Raw bones are normally softer, bendyer and easily digested by the strong stomach acids that a dog has.

I personally don't give the large, weight bearing bones to my dog because he is fed bones as part of his diet, not as treats so they need to be eaten in a reasonable time. I give him lamb ribs/necks/spines from Morrison's supermarket. Unfortunately I can't give chicken bones to him because he's poultry-intolerant!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30 2011, 13:26

Cooked bones are very dangerous to a dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Tue Aug 30 2011, 14:15

It's funny (well not really) but I always knew they were dangerous to dogs since childhood, but I somehow assumed that because they are large bones they were ok plus they were sold in pet shops!!!!! Our other staff never got through bones like this thing I can tell you, but I know some are better than other though. Cooked bones are off the menu!!!!
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bones in poo! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Tue Aug 30 2011, 15:49

I give him lamb ribs/necks/spines from Morrison's supermarket
I get my lambs bones from morrisons too! Laughing Just a pity its a bit hit and miss and i sometimes have to ask the butchers there and they look confused. My local 'proper' butcher is a lot better and the bones are free but i never have time to go there. Sad
Sorry i've gone completely off topic!

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content