Curb your enthusiasm

+2
janey
Rebecca
6 posters

Go down

Curb your enthusiasm Empty Curb your enthusiasm

Post by Rebecca Tue Aug 23 2011, 10:15

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions on Cali's biting and nipping on walks I am pleased to say he has almost stopped this and we can enjoy our walks more now!

So I could use some suggestions on his excitement factor. We will be walking along and if he hears or smells someone that he is interested in he just wants to meet them this is not a bad thing if they want to meet him too but he has tried to jump at people and it has scared the life out of them. Surprised (obviously not dog lovers). We try to keep him grounded and not jump up people but he just gets too excited, how can i get him to greet people nicely?

I'm pleased to say he is doing well off leash in the park and plays fantastically with other dogs but he gets distracted easily by us humans, for example: a couple was enjoying time together in the park and Cali bounded over invited himself into their space and started crawling all over them licking them to death. oooppss! this happens quite often and he doesn't respond to my commands.
How can i teach him boundaries and limitations?
He gets excited with high pitched female voices and children especially and people in the street don't help when they start shrieking ahhhhhhhh puppy!

I realise he is a puppy I just would like to reduce the excitement factor a little. So he can meet and greet people nicely and enjoy the affection they have to give.

I'd appreciate any suggestions Thanks
Rebecca
Rebecca
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Cali
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Curb your enthusiasm Empty Re: Curb your enthusiasm

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23 2011, 10:23

We still have this problem ourselves as well although it has improved alot the past few months. If possible talk with the people you meet before Cali greets them and explain his behaviour so they won't be totally surprised. Also try having him sit and wait before allowing him to be pet. You should also do this before feeding time as well to teach him to wait. With small children we still keep ahold of Suki's collar or harness so that she can't jump up and knock them over.

Glad to hear your walks are getting better Big Grin Patience and consistency reaaly pay off in the long run but the puppy phase can be a challange.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Aug 23 2011, 10:41

Just getting mine out of this habit of doing this, its taken a lot of patience and a lot of saying 'No Jumping' very sternly, but its paid off and now when I see someone walking towards me, I can read her like a book, the ears go down, her head goes down, the old tail gives it the biggun, and before she has time to jump a quick 'No jumping' and she seems to understand.

I don't think there is a miricle cure for this, just again, persevere with the training and learn to read his body language, and be one step ahead.

Saying that she did invade a young couples picnic yesterday Blushing
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Tue Aug 23 2011, 10:59

Hi,
I can't help I have the same 'problem' with Stella, whenever she sees a human walking she just has to go and check and because she is small and sweet everybody welcomes her and pats her and it doesn't help much when I try to prevent her from doing so.
I'm worried in couple of months all those people won't be that excited...
I have to keep her on leash when there are people closer than some 20 meters.
Yesterday she got so excited with a lady we met that she peed on her shoes....but the leady somehow did't notice Laughing
I'm hoping that it will get better when she has better recall, I keep training her when there are not any people or when they are far away, call her, when she comes I give plenty of praise and a treat and her favourite toy I use only for walks and I try hard to look more interesting than all the people around Tongues
I LOVE people who ignore her completely...... Smile
I'm sure we'll get there...
Thanks for this forum Love Struck
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Curb your enthusiasm Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23 2011, 11:33

billy is a bit the same although he is getting better

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca Tue Aug 23 2011, 11:58

It's nice to know i'm not alone, He definitely needs more work on his come here command in the park.

Thanks for your support guys!
Rebecca
Rebecca

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Cali
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Skimsa Tue Aug 23 2011, 16:46

Yep Kayla is exactly the same, I dont have any tips im just pulling her back and stopping her from jumping up.

I live in the city centre too and i find walking her busy streets she gets ignored by the majority so slowly learns that not every human wants to be mates Big Grin
Skimsa
Skimsa
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Kayla
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Tue Aug 23 2011, 19:03

Sophie is like that, she wants to make friends with everyone when we're out with her.
We always ask people to ignore her especially when she wants to jump up at them.
Alot just ignore our requests and make a fuss of her which annoys us, however we have found that children tend respect our wishes far better than adults.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by madeira264527 Thu Aug 25 2011, 08:12

Me and my girlfriend have had that problem as well, With our puppy jumping up people, And her peeing out of excitment , And thing you can do Is tell people to egnore untill she sits, Then she gets stroked , Teach her down, And when people go to touch her give her the command down firmly , In the end should work , Our puppys getting better but not quite there yet , Takes time but patience and persistance pays off In the end, I hope lol .
madeira264527
madeira264527
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Keisha
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content