Nipping

3 posters

Go down

Nipping  Empty Nipping

Post by i love leah and lois Tue Jul 19 2011, 21:58

Hi everyone
thanks for all the advice about millys greediness.milly also has a funny way of greeting us when we wake up on a Morning and she is pleased to see us she also gets very hypo and nips us and sometimes she will bite us but not in a Aggresive way also she will also try to bite are ankles and feet.We always pick her up and give her a big hug on a Morning sometimes she will hug us back then sometimes unexpectley she will try bite are face. Mainly always are Nose Sad we have tried the telling her its bad in a firm voice and walked away from her. but she just seems to forget About the telling off. And will be trying to bite are ankles and feet again.Maybe its just a puppy phase she is going Through and she will realise its wrong.having a pup is all new to us as we havent had a pup.in such a long time.We Got barney as a pup 14 years ago and jessie at a year old.Any advice will be appreciated on how to knock this Nipping in the bud
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Nipping  Empty Re: Nipping

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 22:04

It's pure excitement. I think you'll have to stop picking her up for a cuddle until she's learnt that nipping her humans' faces isn't allowed!

With the legs & feet, you need to tell her "No!" and turn away immediately. Don't talk to her, don't interract in any way, and particularly don't make eye contact. If she carries on, then calmly remove her from the room & shut the door. Don't say anything at all.

When she's calm, let her back in & give her quiet & gentle praise. If she starts again.................repeat!

It's a pain, it's boring, it's repetitive. But in the end it works!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 22:16

I agree with Caryll it's a matter of alot of time and patience, but you have to remember to be consistent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 22:31

It's a puppy thing. They explore the world with their mouths just like babbies and get very excited. Follow Caryll's advise and eventually with patience and consistency it will work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 23:25

dont worry alot of puppies are like this! .. Skye does it too!, we tell her NO! and if she dont stop she goes on the floor and gets ignored till she's calm etc .. they will catch on in time that its not acceptable .. vinnie was like it too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bell Bell Fri Jul 22 2011, 12:07

Hi, I found our Bella only does this when she hasn't got a toy to give us upon greeting. She will desperatley run around the house looking for something to give us. We've had shoes, cushions, slippers, socks, bra's and cd's etc bought to us.

When she cant find anything we get a little nip or chew on the hand, however my wife has found that giving off a high screech and walking away then Bella stops and follows her to make sure she is ok.

It's just a young dog thing where they are so excited to see you. Bella only does it with us and not with strangers or visitors.

I wouldn't worry too much.
Bell Bell
Bell Bell
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by buster2011 Fri Jul 22 2011, 12:24

buster nipps some time many after toilet time as he goes hyper but he is getting better

it will stop
buster2011
buster2011
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Nipping  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down