Help with food?

2 posters

Go down

Help with food? Empty Help with food?

Post by laura-saff Mon Jul 18 2011, 21:26

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on feeding saffy.
She had a few days of really bad diarrhoea last week resulting in allot of accidents in the house and saff fretting when she couldnt get out in time. vets said it seemed like she had just picked something up and to feed her small portions of rice and mince 3 times a day until her stools returned to normal, and then instead of going back to wagg try a more expensive brand of biscuits. After a few days she was back to normal so we tried her on prize choice frozen mince for dogs and iyams biscuits and she had really bad diarrhoea again, so we resorted back to the rice and mince with the intention of seeing how she was when she next had a stool. Only problem is she hasn't been for one since yesterday early morning and that was really tiny like pellets, and has been really miserable the last few days, so we don't have a clue what to feed her now worried It's really unusual for saffy as she can usually eat anything no problem! Sorry its so long I'm a rambler haha! Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks Smile
laura-saff
laura-saff
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : saffron (saffy)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help with food? Empty Re: Help with food?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 21:37

Any sudden change of food can give a dog the runs. I'd either go back to the rice & mince, or even the Wagg because she's used to it. Then change her over onto the new food gradually over about a week or even 10 days or so.

I wouldn't mix a dry food with mince personally because meat takes less time to digest than commercial, dry food & the difference in digestion times can upset the stomach as well. If you want to feed both, you'd be better off feeding the mince in the morning & the dry food in the evening. That way the mince will be fully digested before you give the dry.

Back to top Go down

Post by laura-saff Mon Jul 18 2011, 21:54

Ok thank you, I did think about just trying her back on the wagg as she's 6 and has always had it with no problems. Its just her not going at all now she's back on the rice and mince we were abit unsure of what was the right thing to give her in the short term. Ill keep her on the rice and mince for now then. She's lost allot of weight recently due to an operation a few months ago so we were after putting some weight back on her as well. I think coz she looks so skinny we worry about what were feeding her more, feels like were starving her haha!
laura-saff
laura-saff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 22:06

If she's a bit constipated now, try giving her some cod liver oil on her food for the next couple of days (just a couple of teaspoons) or try a little liver with her food. Offal normally loosens them up a little.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 22:09

To be honest, if she's always been on Wagg, and she does ok on it, I wouldn't bother changing it. I don't particularly like it, but if it suits her, then why change?

There's someone else on here that feeds Wagg (can't for the life of me remember who!), and their dog's a picture of health!

Back to top Go down

Post by laura-saff Mon Jul 18 2011, 22:37

Yeah allot of people do say waggs not too great, like our vet wasn't too keen, we just carried on what her previous owners gave her. We do keep trying her and walking her and still nothing so ill definatley give those a try as she seems abit down in the dumps. Thank you for the help! Much appreciated
laura-saff
laura-saff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 22:39

If the worse comes to the worse you may need to get something from the vets to move it along a bit!

You could also try pulping some veg (carrots/cabbage etc) and putting that on her meals - the fibre could help loosen her.

Back to top Go down

Post by laura-saff Mon Jul 18 2011, 22:51

Am I best of keeping to the rice and mince and trying those things and waiting to see how she goes before going back to the biscuits ,or do you mean to try them with the biscuits? Sorry for all the questions I just dont want to make sure I don't make it worse!
laura-saff
laura-saff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by buster2011 Tue Jul 19 2011, 12:08

i use wagg and gravey for buster and that works well keeps him going
buster2011
buster2011
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help with food? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by buster2011 Tue Jul 19 2011, 12:13

laura-saff wrote:Yeah allot of people do say waggs not too great, like our vet wasn't too keen, we just carried on what her previous owners gave her. We do keep trying her and walking her and still nothing so ill definatley give those a try as she seems abit down in the dumps. Thank you for the help! Much appreciated

so i was told by a friend that makes dog food
wagg is made in the same factrys as most other bigger brands and has the same stuff in it
do not know has true this is
buster2011
buster2011
Help with food? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by laura-saff Tue Jul 19 2011, 12:25

Well she will eat anything I don't think she's really bothered as long as she doesn't have to wait long for it haha. We usually put water in the wagg but I could try gravey I suppose, thanks everyone!
laura-saff
laura-saff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 13:14

Any sudden changes in diet can result in an issue and should be done gradually over a 7-10 day period. I always feed vegetables for fiber usually cabbage and carrots. They are low calorie and Suki is a food motivated dog. If her stoools get loose I'll feed sweet potatos to get her back on track.

Back to top Go down

Post by buster2011 Tue Jul 19 2011, 16:43

buster loves carrots he took a bag the other day and eat 4 of them
should have took a pic at time
buster2011
buster2011
Help with food? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down