Anxious, clingy behaviour - any advice please?

2 posters

Go down

Anxious, clingy behaviour - any advice please? Empty Anxious, clingy behaviour - any advice please?

Post by Zarabeth Wed Mar 15 2023, 06:07

We've had our new family member - Magnus - for 5 days now and he's a truly wonderful dog. I've had a lot of dogs in my life but never a Staffy, and he's far and away the most affectionate of any dog I've ever known. But he's not without his challenges and baggage so I'm hoping someone can offer some advice and maybe insights.

He spent 6 months in the RSPCA shelter, where he was put on Trazodone for his extreme anxiety over kennel life. He gnawed the bars of his cage so much that his canines are now molars. Now that he's in his forever home, he's mostly happy, friendly and playful - a joy to be around. But he still has so much anxiety. He frequently whines, paces and licks his lips, which I've read are signs of anxiety. I also read that you should ignore it and only reward calm, quiet behaviour so he learns that's what gets your attention. But it's very hard to ignore him, especially when he's such a new rescue. I'm sure he misses his carers, and probably the more predictable routine of the shelter. But I also can't spend all the hours he would like in focused reassurance.

He's extremely sensitive and clingy - a shadow who follows me or my husband around constantly. He's comfortable with us being in the next room, and he's an angel when we shut him in the kitchen while we eat, but he won't go further from us than that. Like - he won't go sleep in his bed upstairs; he'd always rather be near (or ideally ON) one or both of us. I don't mind him being a velcro dog but I'm worried about enabling full-blown separation anxiety. We haven't tested him yet by leaving him alone in the house and I'm not sure how soon we should.

My main question is - how much of his anxiety and attention-seeking behaviour and clinginess should we indulge while he's so new to his forever home? When should we start encouraging him to be more independent? He'll occupy himself with a bone or a toy for a little while but then he gets bored and comes looking for cuddles so I'm not sure how to make "alone time" appealing for him.
Zarabeth
Zarabeth
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Anxious, clingy behaviour - any advice please? Empty Re: Anxious, clingy behaviour - any advice please?

Post by Caryll2 Wed Mar 15 2023, 14:07

Awww, poor boy. The trick is slowly & gently - if you're going to leave him, build it up literally second by second. Walk out the door, count to 10 & come back in. Don't make a fuss, just treat it as though it's the most normal thing in the world. Build it up gradually.

It's still VERY early days & it could take him weeks to realise that you're not going to dump him! Probably not what you want to hear, I know.

It can take up to a year for a rescue dog to really settle.
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Anxious, clingy behaviour - any advice please? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Anxious, clingy behaviour - any advice please? Empty Re: Anxious, clingy behaviour - any advice please?

Post by Zarabeth Wed Mar 15 2023, 15:00

Thanks for the warning that it might take longer than the 3-3-3 rule. Sad I can't remember how long it took my previous rescues to adjust (it was a long time ago), but this little guy seems extra vulnerable. There's no history of abuse but I think he is a little institutionalised.
Zarabeth
Zarabeth

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Fri Mar 17 2023, 12:29

Poor lad! I'm sure he'll start to calm down soon - just needs loads of reassurance!
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Anxious, clingy behaviour - any advice please? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down