Recurrent pericardial effusion 8 year old boy

3 posters

Go down

Recurrent pericardial effusion 8 year old boy Empty Recurrent pericardial effusion 8 year old boy

Post by Thermalunit Thu May 05 2022, 16:25

Hello all,

I'm writing on here in case there is the remotest chance anyone has come across similar and has an answer.

My staffy, Kenny, has recurrent pericardial effusion that is mediated by prednisone. He's had a pericardiectomy and numerous scans. The "initial" diagnosis was idiopathic pericardial effusion or mesothelioma. There are no lumps anywhere near his heart or in other organs. We put him on prednisone for 3 months and all was going well(ish). He was still lethargic, had trouble catching his breath and was walking very slowly. He was happy and still wanted to play all the time and was trying to eat me out of house and home. The steroids started to cause some other issues so we slowly withdrew them. He had a follow up scan today and the effusion is back around the top of his heart. The vets are now stumped because prednisone would not normally mediate effusion from mesothelioma and most other causes of effusion should have been resolved after 3 months on steroids.

I don't suppose anyone on here has any insights into what could be causing the issue?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jon

Thermalunit
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Recurrent pericardial effusion 8 year old boy Empty Re: Recurrent pericardial effusion 8 year old boy

Post by Caryll2 Sat May 07 2022, 16:11

Hi & welcome.

I'm sorry, I've no experience with pericardial effusion, but didn't want your post to go unnoticed.

What were the side effects of the Prednisone? Could they be managed if the steroids help?
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Recurrent pericardial effusion 8 year old boy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Recurrent pericardial effusion 8 year old boy Empty Re: Recurrent pericardial effusion 8 year old boy

Post by Thermalunit Sat May 07 2022, 18:37

Thank you.

The main side effects were over eating (he was starving all the time and I could only control it to a certain extent) and muscle weakness. The vet was also worried about bleeds. The vet thinks the effusion could also be controlled with metacam but unfortunately Kenny does not tolerate it well at all.

The main issue is that there is obviously something causing the inflammation that in turn causes the effusion. The steroids are just managing the symptoms and not the cause.

I will keep trying....

Thanks again.

Thermalunit

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Sat May 07 2022, 22:50

So sorry I can't be more help - maybe someone else here has more experience with it.
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Recurrent pericardial effusion 8 year old boy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Mon May 09 2022, 20:47

Hi from me & Katy. Sorry to hear Kenny has this condition but I'm the same as Caryll & haven't come across this condition before. I hope you can get some answers.
Are you on Facebook? If so try asking on Pet Vet Corner as they only have qualified vets answering questions thinking

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Recurrent pericardial effusion 8 year old boy B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down