Shale at the vet

4 posters

Go down

Shale at the vet Empty Shale at the vet

Post by MrCardboardDave Tue Jul 12 2011, 14:51

Hi
Well i took shale to the vets this morning due to the last couple of days he has been quite scratchy and i have been unable to make him better with tea tree cream but it has helped soothe him.

I think he has some sort of grass/pollen allergy because nothing has changed dietary wise and at home and i am feeding him Arden Grange 3 times a day

The vet suggested to me a medicaded shampoo called Malaseb
Bumth
A shampoo containing 2 % w/v chlorhexidine gluconate PhEur and 2 % w/v miconazole nitrate PhEur. Excipients: methylchloroisothiazolinone 0.075 % w/v and methylisothiazolinone 0.025 % w/v. Uses Dog For the treatment and control of seborrhoeic dermatitis associated with Malassezia pachydermatis and Staphylococcus intermedius

and a course of Antibiotics and a follow up vist in a couple of weeks.

Anyway after some key hitting i found the same shampoo in the same amount 250ml for £10 instead of £33 Thats some markup Mr Vet

Has any one here had the same problems with any of there dogs and how did you resolve the issue?
Do you use any alternative medicine that works just as well if not better

Neck from scratching
Shale at the vet 063a5c21

Top of head
Shale at the vet Eea6bbfe

Thigh
Shale at the vet Af6e604b

Under Arm
Shale at the vet C8d5db6d

And the other
Shale at the vet 43796353

Many Thanks CBD and a itchy Shale Sad
MrCardboardDave
MrCardboardDave
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Shale
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Shale at the vet Empty Re: Shale at the vet

Post by janey Tue Jul 12 2011, 14:57

Poor Shale that looks so sore, Moo never has had skin complaints so all I can suggest is what the vet has advised and lots of tlc Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by laineybell Tue Jul 12 2011, 14:58

it looks like a worse case of wht Jemma has, which is a grass allergy. i went to the vet, they told me to give 1x piriton pill every 8 hours, but 1 a day knocked her out, she jus slept all day. im now giving her half a day n it seems to b wrking still.
maybe try these tablets, but be aware they may cause drowsiness.
laineybell
laineybell
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jemma
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12 2011, 15:01

poor shale get better soon

>Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12 2011, 15:24

It is terrible when they are like this i think we have bought the teashirt and wore it out with Milly at the moment she is on seroids and is waiting for her first desencetising vac. We use the same shampoo that you have been told but if I am honest it did not really help Milly but i would defo try it, hope you get sorted soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12 2011, 15:35

Hope you get Shale's problem sorted out.. always horrible to see our loved pets when they are suffering in some way...

The vets must hate the internet ! I buy all my dogs heartworm, shampoo etc etc...from a vet product direct supplier here in Australia... and I save a fortune!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12 2011, 16:42

CBD,
My young girl Roxy used to scratch terribly, although I was not able to see scratches etc... as per your pics. I was told also it may be due to allergies (she also gets allergic conjunctivitis)
Anyways...we were reccomended to use Malaseb shampoo and it has made life much more bearable for Roxy. To start I was washing her with it once a week (nice warm sunny weather to dry), now the weather is colder here in West Aus, not quite so often.
I'm sure your vet would've explained to shampoo, then leave the product on for ten minutes as this is when the ingredients get to work and do what they've gotta do, then rinse.
I hope this brings Shale some relief. Please keep us informed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12 2011, 19:51

Hope he's ok must be annoying him if its a grass allergy you'll have to dig up the garden and put shale down so shale can play on the shale, but if you shout him in the whole garden might follow Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jul 13 2011, 17:25

Looks like a grass/pollen allergy like my two get. One of them has a much worse reaction than the others. We tried loads of things and found the most effective to be a homeopathic medicine. I give them 2 of these tiny sugar-based tablets in the morning and 2 in the evening, they think they are treats! They are great as they dont make the girls drowsy and you cant overdose on them because they are completely natural. Me and my OH were sick of trying things the vet had on offer, it was hitting my pocket hard and wasn't working (apart from the trial run of steroids the vet persuaded me into for a week but that wasn't going to happen long term!). Such a relief to find these as piriton wasn't working in preventint the reactions only easing it's after effects. I also wash their feet after walks in grass and put a little vaseline between their paws before we got out.

And the wonder pills are ------- Shale at the vet New_Era_H_Hayfev_4745c22297c24

http://www.superliving.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&category_id=294&flypage=flypage.tpl&manufacturer_id=14&page=shop.product_details&product_id=818&Itemid=45&vmcchk=1&Itemid=45
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13 2011, 17:30

Malaseb is good. No doubt about it. But it isn't always needed.

If it's a grass allergy, then wiping with a damp cloth as soon as you come in from walks will help, plusa nappy cream on the sore bits (sudocrem or similar).

If it's a pollen allergy, then piriton may work. Start off with half a tablet, twice a day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down