Staffie and Jack Russell

4 posters

Go down

Staffie and Jack Russell Empty Staffie and Jack Russell

Post by kirstyleigh Tue Jun 20 2017, 19:05

Havent been on here for along time but desperate for a little advice ive had to move back home and my mom has a JR callled rosie and she keeps snapping and snarlling at bella (staffie) rosie is 6 and bella is 3 they have known each other since bella was 8 weeks old but bella cant go with 2 feet of rosie without her having ago at bella is there anything i can do to stop this because i dont want bella to turn on rosie btw rosie has always been like this with bella but since ive had to move back home its got worse alot worse moving back home is only a temp thing but need to get this sorted
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Staffie and Jack Russell Empty Re: Staffie and Jack Russell

Post by Mia05 Tue Jun 20 2017, 22:30

Training the jrt to accept bella and using treats will certainly help things. The jrt is defensive as its her home the owner needs to build a positive relationship between both dogs realising bella is no threat.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Staffie and Jack Russell B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 21 2017, 07:59

How does everyone react when Rosie snaps? And what are her things she likes and things she doesn't (apart from Bella!)?

Back to top Go down

Post by kirstyleigh Wed Jun 21 2017, 08:48

We tell her off and put in her in her bed prob wrong i know but dont know how to deal with it she has always been like this with bella i think it stemed from when bella was a pup n bit rosie tail and from the moment things have got worse i i think bella likes to wind rosie up aswell which doesnt help
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Wed Jun 21 2017, 09:32

Is Rosie trained to stop barking on command? If so when she stops when Bella is in the room and give her a treat.. is this something you could do? I'm not very familiar will jack Russell's but treat training works very well with Hank
Paris1990
Paris1990
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hank
Dog(s) Ages : 2 Year
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by kirstyleigh Wed Jun 21 2017, 09:57

Haha nope rosie does nothing but bark lol at anything and everythijg i would say she is a nervous dog i cpuld do it but in fairness rosie doesnt listen to me at all it worries me really because the way rosie behaves i dont want bella picking up her bad habbits tbf when she goes for bella it can br just a sudden thing other times she will growl we will move bella away rather when she does growl
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 21 2017, 10:25

Firstly, don't tell her off. Especially as you say she's a nervous dog, and given that her barking in this case may be due to worry, adding telling off to the mix will just increase her association of Bella = something unpleasant. You need to reverse that and build up Bella = something pleasant.

If Rosie is treat motivated, I'd do along the lines that Paris suggests of rewarding positive behaviour towards Bella with a treat. I would take it further than that as well. I'd reward her even looking at Bella quietly, anything at all that's quiet and accepting. Personally I'd use clicker training and teach a 'look at that' command, when the dog gets a click-treat for looking at the worrying object, and if that goes well would continue using the clicker to mark positive interactions of any sort.

Anything negative, just calmly separate them and ignore. I know that sounds wrong but it's not, you're not dealing with 'naughty', you're dealing with worried.

Another thing that might help is to use leads/training lines so that you can keep distance between the dogs while they learn to accept each other quietly, while Bella learns not to bounce Rosie and while Rosie learns that Bella is ok. I'm not suggesting tying them up, I mean that you are there with them, encouraging relaxation through cuddles, food (use mealtimes), etc., and the leads are just there as a safety net. When you're not there, keep them in separate rooms.

I can't promise but in theory it should work!

Back to top Go down

Post by I❤dogs Mon Jun 26 2017, 20:54

Welcome to the forum. I have a jack russell & a staffy so am a big fan of both breeds. It does sound like Rosie is worried. I'm a big believer in treats & praise for the slightest positive step in the right direction. Like Liz said above. I do similar to help my pup be gentle to my cats. Good luck, I hope Rosie settles around Bella soon
I❤dogs
I❤dogs

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Saxon and Rebel
Dog(s) Ages : 21/03/11 and 13/02/17
Dog Gender(s) : Boys
Support total : 72

Back to top Go down