Please Help *Images*

4 posters

Go down

Please Help *Images* Empty Please Help *Images*

Post by JaymieGrace.x Wed Apr 12 2017, 08:08

*sorry for the long post* * also apologies for the size of the pics!!
I first noticed the lump on his leg on the 27th of March & within 3 days I took him to my local vet (this was the earliest appointment I could get)
Vet advised me it is an Histiocytoma which is a benign rumour that is very common in young dogs. Persisted there is nothing to worry about & that it will eventually go away on its own.
Within 4/5 days I noticed my dog had been licking & biting his paw so it was clearly irritating him & it has come up very red and slightly bloody with puss.
I took him to the vets the next day. I felt like she wasn't helpful at all. Told me it will go away on its own & no treatment needed. I expressed my concern of infection now it looked like an open wound. She said I could wrap it or put a cone on him if I wanted.
I immediately went to the pet shop & bought a cone, dressing & bandages. I am also bathing it in salt water twice a day.
Kept it wrapped up in a bandage throughout the day & took it off on an evening & put the cone on so it could get some air on a night whilst sleeping.
No improvement at all, it got worse so within 4 days I was back at the vets again to be told it's now infected. Given some antibiotics & anti inflammatory tablets for 7 days.
Advised to leave a cone on & not to wrap even when going outside. I have a follow up appointment in a week.
Has anyone else experienced this with their pups? I am really worrying now as I have been reading about "Alabama Rot" all in the news & I just want to do what's best by my dog & I feel like it's just getting worse.
Floyd is nearly 7months old.
Please Help *Images* IMG_1851_zps9lhi4amo
Please Help *Images* IMG_1853_zpsaz4gxg6x
JaymieGrace.x
JaymieGrace.x
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Lexi
Dog(s) Ages : 1year 5months. Born on 6th Sept 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Please Help *Images* Empty Re: Please Help *Images*

Post by Guest Wed Apr 12 2017, 09:15

It's hard to say, to be honest, but if you're not confident in your vet it might be worth getting a second opinion. Is there just the one vet in your practice or is there another who could be asked to have a quick look?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Wed Apr 12 2017, 09:26

If I were you I'd definitely try another vet to get a second opinion especially as you are worried. You have done everything right but it sounds like your vet isn't taking it serious ( just my opinion). I have heard of Alabama rot and know it's very serious so I can see why you are worried. We have outbreaks of the blue algae where I live so that's always in my head now.

Just for your own peace of mind I'd try another vet's.

Whereabouts are you located as someone on here may have some vet recommendations.

Do let us know how you get on.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Please Help *Images* B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by JaymieGrace.x Wed Apr 12 2017, 09:42

Thanks for the replies, the vets I go to there is only one out of the 3 that I have confidence in and his away this week. I've booked his first available appointment but it's not till next Thursday, Floyd is absolutely fine in himself still eating drinking etc.
I live in Essex, recommendations would be great if anyone has any, I have previously used other vets around me when my older dog was suffering with demodex and none of them helped really, we went to 3 different ones for opinions and the only way we cured it was doing a ton of research ourself and we now have it under control.
I am not hesitant for a second opinion due to cost or anything that's never a worry when it comes to the dogs it's just finding someone I can trust.
Thank you
JaymieGrace.x
JaymieGrace.x

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 12 2017, 09:53

Where in Essex are you?

Back to top Go down

Post by JaymieGrace.x Wed Apr 12 2017, 10:01

We live on Canvey, surrounding local areas would be Benfleet, Rayleigh, Southend, Basildon, Grays.
JaymieGrace.x
JaymieGrace.x

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Apr 12 2017, 10:08

whilst i can't help you with the lump itself, it's very unlikely to be Alabama Rot as this disease is extremely fast acting & you'd have had serious symptoms within a couple of days.

i would keep bathing it with salt water & leave it open to the air for the time being, at least until you can see the vet you trust!

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 12 2017, 17:06

Shame, I'm right up the other end, Tiptree, so my vet would be too far for you.

In your position, I'd now give the antibiotics time to work and see what happens. If it is an infection - he might have got a little thorn or something - it should clear it up. You've then got your appointment next week already with the vet you trust more.

I agree that it doesn't look anything to panic about. Infections can go from a lump to looking like that fairly quickly and the most likely is that it's what it is. Keep on doing what you're doing - keeping it clean and open to the air - and monitor. If the ABs are working you should see an improvement in a couple of days.

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed Apr 12 2017, 18:59

I would also give a few more days for the meds to kick in and make a judgement call then.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Please Help *Images* B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down