+3
Jenc
-Ian-
turtle4488
7 posters

Go down

Hi from me and blake Empty Hi from me and blake

Post by turtle4488 Wed Jan 18 2017, 04:10

Hiya thanks for letting me join. My name is Sharron and my dog is Blake - his is 5 years old and was a rescue dog - we have had him for about 4 years. He doesn't get on with other dogs -partly due to the way he was treated which makes taking him out for a walk difficult but we try - also he pulls like anything when we first start out but by the time he comes home is the perfect dog on a lead!!! I need some help - he won't go and do a pooh outside only in the kitchen Sad we cannot let him out in the garden on his own due to living on a gennal and people come past with their dogs which as previously mentioned is not good for Blake so we take him out on his lead. Also he has a really really bad habbit of suddenly fixating on something, recently it has been my mobile phone - which was on my bedsiide cabinet and he has seen all the time, the sky remote, glass candle holders and tonite 3 vanilla scented candles - when he gets something he won't let go no matter how many times he is told to leave it - he will normally totally destroy whatever he has got - he is very nasty and growling and snarling - won't have a drink won;t eat or go out for a wee!!! just stays covering whatever he has taken. Its not every day or night he just does it randomly. He gets fed twice a day with a few treats in between and has toys which we play with him in the house too. Its happened before even when he has come back from a walk. I really don't want not to be able to have things around that I like ie candles nor do I want him in his muzzle all the time to stop this behaviour. Really hoping that some of you might have some great ideas and techniques on how we can stop this behaviour once and for all. Sorry for the long post and thanks.

turtle4488
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hi from me and blake Empty Re: Hi from me and blake

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18 2017, 10:48

Hi & Hi from me and blake Welcome

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have a number of seasonal just for fun Staffy picture competitions throughout the year. If you have a great picture don't be shy, post it. You might just win! Even if you don't enter do take the time to vote for your favourite and support those that enter Here

This Forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Hi from me and blake Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Hi from me and blake Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Hi from me and blake Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Hi from me and blake Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Hi from me and blake Icon_arrow See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18 2017, 11:01

Hi and welcome from me and mine Smile

First of all, well done on giving Blake a home and in looking for ways to help him. It sounds like there's quite a lot going on that you need help with. All of the problems you've mentioned - dog on dog reactions, lead walking and resource guarding - can be worked on, possibly all together as my guess is that they are in fact linked to insecurities or something.

Because of the complexity of the situation and because Blake's resource guarding includes threats, my best advice would be to call in a trained professional - either a behaviourist or a behavioural trainer - who can look at the whole situation. My feeling is that you will need to look not only at Blake's actions but also your reactions.

What you seem to be describing - and I appreciate that this is only my interpreation of your words without seeing it - is a general situation whereby Blake is more in control of things than you are. He pulls where he wants to go, he takes charge of objects, and you are left helpless. This can in fact be worrying for an animal as many need support and guidance on how to cope in what is, after all, a human world.

Do some research through your vets, through the internet and maybe even here to find a good, positive method behaviourist/trainer who can work with you in your home. It might be a bit expensive but it's a lot better than this situation getting even worse, ending up in someone getting hurt and potentially a dreadful outcome for Blake.

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Jan 21 2017, 10:30

Hi & Welcome to the Forum from Flo and me and we'll done on the rescue thumbs up

From what you've written it does sound like Blake is insecure and has possessive issues which may come from earlier experiences. I think Liz is pointing you in the right direction, a professional is probably the best course of action as they will be able to see at first hand what is happening and most likely why.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Hi from me and blake B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sat Jan 21 2017, 20:36

Hi from me & Katy Big Grin

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by LordMajesticBlueOhana Sun Jan 22 2017, 00:12

Hey from Wallace and myself.

Stick in there, you have done a fantastic thing and adopted, massive respect!

I have seen lot's of dogs out on our walks that do not get on with other dogs. From Labradors to little terriers, ours does not drop items without coaxing him with a treat. A good trainer will give you positive ways to turn those bad habits and bring Blake round to your way and rules.

Also seriously read up on Cesar Milan, is books have given us a whole different outlook on how to treat a dog to live by your rules.

Take care

Russell & Wallace
LordMajesticBlueOhana
LordMajesticBlueOhana

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wallace
Dog(s) Ages : 7 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Sun Jan 22 2017, 15:24

Welcome from Misty and me. Great to hear about a rescue. I agree with Liz it's always worth getting a professional involved.

If you fancy having a read on dog behaviour I highly recommend anything by Victoria Stillwell.

Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by TwoSocks Sun Jan 22 2017, 22:05

Hi from Una and me! The knowledge, experience and support from the good folks in this forum is invaluable. Looking forward to hearing how you get on!
TwoSocks
TwoSocks
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Hi from me and blake Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Una
Dog(s) Ages : 02/05/2015
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down