Body language

Go down

Body language Empty Body language

Post by jola139 Sun Jan 15 2017, 09:11

Hi, so we are still in a process of befriending Debo with our friends dog, Rocco. Yesterday, when we met, Rocco was running in enclosed playground. Debo was on the outside, came closer to the fence, Rocco was facing him, tail wagging, no jumping. Debo went stiff and very slowly he tiptoed towards Rocco and showed him his side. Head up, mouth closed, looking straight but one eye on Rocco. Does it mean, hey I don't like you being so cocky, but I'm no danger to you but if you do something I don't like I'm ready to have a go. Did I get it right? We are seeing dog trainer in 2 weeks now.
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Body language Empty Re: Body language

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15 2017, 09:19

It's the stiff bit that gives the game away. Stiff means ready to react. Also, not looking at something can often (in my experience) indicate a dog is trying not to have to deal with it. It sounds like Debo isn't happy with Rocco at the moment, for whatever reason, but is holding it in.

Was Debo on the lead? If so, it would be interesting to see what would happen the other way round, with Rocco on a lead outside and Debo loose inside.

If, though, you have your trainer booked, I would say it's probably best to wait. The better you can start, the better you can continue. Repeating meetings the Debo isn't comfortable with or doesn't know how to handle will probably only reinforce his 'not happy' feelings. Patience is always worth it.

Back to top Go down

Body language Empty Re: Body language

Post by jola139 Sun Jan 15 2017, 09:28

Thanks Liz. Debo was off the lead. He reacts more when on. We don't force them. We just go for walks together, Debo doesn't come close, most of the time he's off the lead and minds his business. When back on the lead they both are walking nicely. No more quick decision from us, jut gentle walks, nothing more.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down