Age to be away from mother..

4 posters

Go down

Age to be away from mother.. Empty Age to be away from mother..

Post by BuzztheStaff Wed Oct 05 2016, 13:45

Hi

I got myself a little staff pup on Sunday. The owner of the pups said the mother had stopped feeding her puppies, and had rejected them, so they were not getting their mothers warmth or food etc. The owner told me the puppy was 7 week old and as it wasn't getting the mothers attention etc that the pup could be taken away from her. So we have had Buzz since he was 7 and a half week old...but hes very small. Vet said hes just a small puppy because his mum hadn't taken to him, and that he was sharing puppy food with 8 sibling so he may have been pushed to the back at feeding time.

I'm just a little concerned that the pup is too young to be away from her. I've been feeding him puppy milk and puppy food. He has a hot water bottle in his bed and a clock so he thinks the ticking is his mothers heart. He cries a lot...if i walk out of the room and call him he won't follow, he'll just cry. I hold him on my chest, and make sure he's never ever on his own.

Am I doing this right? Or is there anythig else I could be doing to calm the pup down? Thanks in advance.

BuzztheStaff
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Buzz
Dog(s) Ages : 7 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Age to be away from mother.. Empty Re: Age to be away from mother..

Post by Mia05 Wed Oct 05 2016, 16:04

I wouldnt focus too much on paying your puppy too much attention as this can lead to seperation anxiety. I think in general people who breed their dogs rehome at 8-9 weeks old so your pup isnt far behind. get the pup used to a variety of different situations farm animals traffic and other dogs and in particular loud noises ie: fireworks now would be perfect so he doesnt get scared later in life . Smile ah I do love a staffy puppy if you need help we are always here Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Age to be away from mother.. B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by BriggsX4 Wed Oct 05 2016, 16:12

I agree with Mia05. Let Buzz experience plenty in the next few weeks, if you know anyone with a friendly dog/puppy, get Buzz introduced early to other dogs, so Buzz will start to learn his place within the company of other dogs. Enjoy... Big Grin
BriggsX4
BriggsX4
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : ROXY
Dog(s) Ages : Feb 2015
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Oct 07 2016, 08:43

the normal time fir a pup to leave mum is 8 weeks so it isn't too bad.

however, the breeder is quite wrong! Bitches stop feeding their pups at around 5 weeks & gradually remove themselves from the litter - it's all part of the independance process. It's quite normal & no excuse to separate the pups early.

i'm not saying that the breeder is bad, but often they like to send tge pups out early because they're becoming hard work! i've heard of breeders sending the pups out at 5 weeks old because the bitch isn't feeding them, when actually they just don't want to make the effort (and spend tge money) to ween the pups onto solids.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down