What muzzle?

4 posters

Go down

What muzzle? Empty What muzzle?

Post by Tuschinski Wed Jun 29 2016, 10:41

Sad to say I need to get a muzzle for Eccles:( we go to the dog park every morning, we know all the dogs and owners and they all love him and there has never been a problem. In fact I was going to post the other day about what a great job he is doing to change people's perceptions of Staffys. Then yesterday we had an incident. A lab we don't know came in and got really aggressive with the other dogs, Eccles got over excited and clamped onto the neck of. Retriever. It took an age to get him off and it was very stressful for all involved. I don't know if he did much damage as the owner naturally legged it pronto! Anyhow I'd say he could well report us and I don't think those who witnessed it will be happy for him to be there anymore unmuzzled. I will still be able to walk him in the lead, that's never been a problem but he adores the dog park so will have to try muzzling him there.
So what to get? The nylon ones look so much more comfortable but most seem to have the cage type so wondering what the advantages of each are. Also what size? Strangle the size hides never mention Staffys! He was a year old this month and has never worn one.
Tuschinski
Tuschinski
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Eccles
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

What muzzle? Empty Re: What muzzle?

Post by Tuschinski Wed Jun 29 2016, 10:43

Some mad types there, was in a rush, should read strange the size guides!
Tuschinski
Tuschinski

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Jun 29 2016, 10:56

the baskerville ultra (cage type) type should be the one you look for. they allow the dog to pant & drink, and even take treats when they've been good! as for sizing, i'd try a couple of sizes on him in your local pet shop to see whichj one fits best - then you can either buy it from them or go online for a cheaper deal!

make sure that you introduce him to it properly, though, otherwise he'll be fearful of it. if you want some tips on how to do that, just ask!

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuschinski Thu Jun 30 2016, 10:58

I'll try them on him but I'm not sure how big they should be. I was reading the instructions and they said the dog should be able to yawn but I can't see how that's possible looking at the photos.

Tuschinski
Tuschinski

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Jul 01 2016, 10:09

i'm not so sure about yawning, but they do allow panting which is very important. i've not used them myself, so i can't give you an idea about sizes, but then every dog is different, and what might fit one wouldn't fit another.

if you want to get a Baskerville type, just make sure that the fit is 'comfortable' and not pinching anywhere or sliding around.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by TwoSocks Fri Jul 01 2016, 23:38

We're muzzle training Una just now (not a confident bunny in the vets). I bought the baskerville ultra size 2 and 3 as I wasn't sure which one was a better fit. The 3 seems likes it would ride up to her eyes but the 2 seems a bit too snug - isn't it typical, the half way size would be perfect Smile We're still at the getting the nose in the muzzle to get the treats stage so I'm not keen to push it too fast so I can't tell which one would be the better fit.
TwoSocks
TwoSocks
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
What muzzle? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Una
Dog(s) Ages : 02/05/2015
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by ClareGilby Sat Jul 02 2016, 12:10

Someone at dog training used the fabric one and the poor dog nearly passed out from heat exhaustion as they can't pant to cool down. Good on you for getting a muzzle, I think it gives you peace of mind. Good luck with finding the right one.

I have never had any incidents with Daisy but was told years ago by a lady whose number I got from kennel club that if your staffy does get into that sort of pickle and you can't get them off to slide your hand under the collar and do a half twist. Never done it so can't say if it works but might be worth remembering.
ClareGilby
ClareGilby
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuschinski Mon Jul 04 2016, 13:38

Bad news. Got a call from the others dogs owner and apparently his dog is badly injured and will need a lot of treatment. They shaved his neck and he has very deep puncture wounds. I haven't been able to sleep since he called, I'm so upset Sad
Tuschinski
Tuschinski

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05 2016, 08:19

I am sorry to hear that. Don't over panic, I don't think this means that Eccles is aggressive and likely to attack other dogs, but I do think there is a lesson to be learned.

I personally am not a fan of dog parks. They tend to be high energy with not a lot of control, which is a bit of a recipe for disaster. What happened in this case is not all that unusual - very high level of excitement, then they dynamics change with the introduction of a new and less compatible dog, and suddenly the high energy flips from positive to negative.

I know they look fun and you enjoy seeing Eccles running with the others, but maybe lower excitement places are better for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuschinski Tue Jul 05 2016, 10:32

Sadly I think you are right. We loved going there though, we went at the same time every day and I knew all the people and he knew all the dogs (usually!) and it was nice socially for both of us. I have to meet the other dog owner this week and I am dreading it. Not looking forward to the bill either.
Tuschinski
Tuschinski

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down