How much food?

3 posters

Go down

How much food? Empty How much food?

Post by scsja Fri Sep 04 2015, 08:59

Charlie is just over 2 years old and i am wanting to get him off dried dog.

I can get a good price on chicken thighs and drumsticks in 1kg packs. This will be his main food (is that a good idea?). Not to keen on raw feeding so i will either boil the chicken or pressure cook it.

To not make it to bland was also thinking off adding raw potato, carrots and boiled rice not all together but potato one day carrot the next then potato and rice the next (im sure you get the idea) but chicken will be the main meal.

Im wanting to get him on 2 meals a day the main meal (chicken) i will give him every morning around 8am and then a hand-full of dog biscuits (not sure which ones yet) around 5pm.

The question his how much chicken should i feed him in the morning not counting the extras like a raw potato of a chopped raw carrot?

scsja
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

How much food? Empty Re: How much food?

Post by -Ian- Sat Sep 05 2015, 22:55

Veg won't add too much in the way of nutrients, as with rice they are more a filler, but a healthy filler. I'm not a raw expert but would advise adding other things to complement the chicken like raw eggs and fish which will add more vitamins.

As to how much, well I think it will be trial and error. Start with what you think is a reasonable meal and adjust as weight is gained or lost. There will be a temptation to over feed only because Charlie will be like 99.9% of dogs and eat if it's there so watch for that weight gain.

Hopefully others will be along to offer more advice Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

How much food? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

How much food? Empty Re: How much food?

Post by Rachel33 Sun Sep 06 2015, 08:05

Hello! I'd be really concerned that he won't be getting all of the nutrients he needs with this diet. As Ian has said, the veg won't add much to the diet as they can't process the vitamins minerals in that form. Plus, dogs are carnivores. And also remember dogs can't eat cooked bones, so would need to strip the chicken from the bone before you feed.

I would either research more into home cooked meals/raw, or stick with a commercial pet food, your dog could get very sick without the right nutrients.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down