Training to stay alone

3 posters

Go down

Training to stay alone Empty Training to stay alone

Post by TheAgsters Fri Aug 07 2015, 12:00

So I have adopted a staffie who is between 1-2 years old. he is well trained to sit, lie, give paws, fetch and bring the balls. But when it comes to staying alone it is all crying.... So I started with very short period of times and extended it all the time giving treats when he was quiet and good. We have managed to extend it to some time but now we are back to level 1, when he can't stay alone by himself even for a minute as he cries. The whole neighbourhood can probably hear him. When I am back he is getting very excited but I have managed to ignore him when I leave and when I come back. Also I have tried to leave him with my flat mates but he still cried a bit. I am worried as I am going back to work in a week time and Roger (that is his name) is very stubborn and not ready for me to start my job. Any advices what should I do?! I tried treats, kong with peanut butter, my clothes around and so on. I am just loosing my hope but hopefully we will manage somehow.

TheAgsters
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Training to stay alone Empty Re: Training to stay alone

Post by Mia05 Fri Aug 07 2015, 12:33

I rescued mia at three with severe seperation anxiety i would leave her for ten minutes then at night 20 minutes and was only in the other room it isn't a quick fix you may have to work for months at this depending on your dogs history. Have you tried leaving your dog in the living room and using dog gates to close the area off and leave the door open ? I done this in each area of my house so mia was used to each and every room id also allow your dog to sniff everything in the room so they feel safe and nice soft music or voices on the radio this will make the dog more settled. You could even if it was doable record yourself saying reassuring things and play that into the room. Is there anyway someone can dogsit for a while when you start your job. This may help as well Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Training to stay alone B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAgsters Fri Aug 07 2015, 12:43

Hey thanks for reply. Music makes him more angry. I tried to leave him with my flat mates he still cried. Maybe just need to be patient and he will get it eventually that I am always coming back to him.

TheAgsters

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Fri Aug 07 2015, 12:54

Depending how many previous homes your dog has had their will be issues with the dog having to place their trust in you . Took mia a while to trust me i went straight back to basics training wise and basic sit stay commands and plenty of pats we bonded better that way. I used to brush mia 3 times a day was to get her used to my hand i believe this also helped. Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Training to stay alone B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAgsters Fri Aug 07 2015, 12:57

Yeah we play 4 times a day having proper running walks. Each of it is an hour long. I know him from previous owners so he knows me too. Before that he had around 3-4 different homes. Poor wee dog.

TheAgsters

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Fri Aug 07 2015, 14:27

Exercising him before leaving will help. A TV left on for background noise also helps. Other than that you are doing everything right. You may want to speak with your neighbors as well and let them know the situation and apologize in advance for the noise. Suki was like this for awhile but she is fine for 8-10 hours by herself now and normally just sleeps.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAgsters Fri Aug 07 2015, 15:24

Oh tv and radio isnt good for nim. Ok thanks a lot. I have my hope back i thought i was doing something wrong. How long did it take Suki to settle?!

TheAgsters

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Fri Aug 07 2015, 16:32

TheAgsters wrote:Oh tv and radio isnt good for nim. Ok thanks a lot. I have my hope back i thought i was doing something wrong.  How long did it take Suki to settle?!

It took her about a month before she wouldn't cry or destroy the walls or furniture. We were fortunate as my wife was able to be home most of the time unless she has to run an errand so we were able to ease her into being alone gradually. An article of clothing with your scent on it or a thundershirt may also help. It seems frustrating at first because as a breed they do like to be around people but we've left Suki for over 12 hours on occasion and she is fine now.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAgsters Fri Aug 07 2015, 18:51

Roger destroyed only small box nothing else. He just sits near door and cries forever. I did start from short time and then make it longer to even 2-3hours. As short time was fine he just cried ones or twice. But now back again even 5 minutes it's too long for him. I have 9 days as I am going to work so he will need to stay up to max 3h alone.

TheAgsters

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down