+5
Rachel33
-Ian-
JStaff
Inez Maria
Scmule14
9 posters

Go down

Please Help! 12 week old biting/nipping Empty Please Help! 12 week old biting/nipping

Post by Scmule14 Wed May 13 2015, 19:31

Hello, I really could use some serious help and advice. We brought home our femaile staffy from the breeder at 8 weeks. Within several days she began to nip a lot but we expected that from a puppy. We were told she was one of the more alpha of the litter so we knew we needed to show we are the leaders. By day 4 she lunged up and nipped my 8 year old daughter in the back and then broke the skin on my arm. No amount of correcting could get her to stop nipping/biting once she got it into her head. It would just be non stop lunging and nipping/biting. We contacted a trainer who started working with her/us immediately.

We actually had her work with the trainers for a week at their facility. The training helped with taking her for walks, sitting, staying and coming. They said she was stubburn but they eventually got the nipping to stop. But once she got home...it all started up again. Especially towards me. I would try everything...yelling ow, pulling on leash, pinning, ignoring...all any of that did was fuel her fire. I would have to become physically out of reach for it to stop. I don't think it is an attempt to hurt me. The trainer says it is her attempt to get power over me. I take her for walks at least three times a day. I do training exercises like sit/stay. I don't exessively coddle her.

I don't know what to do. My children (8 & 10) have become afraid of her. She will go right after them if they come in the room. I have her on a leash at all times so I can control her. They want so much for her to get better. My daughter even says prayers at church. It is breaking my heart. Nothing that I do is making a change. I am trying so hard. I love our pup so much. But can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Scmule14
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Please Help! 12 week old biting/nipping Empty Re: Please Help! 12 week old biting/nipping

Post by Inez Maria Wed May 13 2015, 19:56

Sounds typical puppy behaviour,but then the trainer would I imagine have told you that. Distraction works with a toy a high pitched squeal also. Yo all need to be doing the same thing i.e as above. Do the children feed her at all? it may help interaction between them. When you have a mo pop along and say hi to us all here Big Grin

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Please Help! 12 week old biting/nipping B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Please Help! 12 week old biting/nipping Empty Re: Please Help! 12 week old biting/nipping

Post by JStaff Wed May 13 2015, 22:45

Here is a link that will help

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting

Make sure that everyone is using the same technique every time and be patient and it will stop. She is learning bite inhibition or how how she can bite without causing pain. She is also trying to initiate play like she would play with her litter mates. If any one is sitting or lying on the floor she will see this as an invitation to play as well. We all go through this and it can be frustrating.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Scmule14 Wed May 13 2015, 23:18

It is just scary at times. Like when she will run across the room and bite my ankle so hard it leaves a mark. Or when she jumps up to grab onto any part she can get to. Biting skin so much it hurts just shouldn't be ok and I can't figure out how to help her realize that.

Scmule14

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu May 14 2015, 00:53

How old is she now ?... I'm guessing still just weeks old. She is still learning about you and you about her. With the children make sure that they follow your lead and when the nipping starts yelp, stop and then replace the body part with a fun toy. The children should never show apprehension but control the situation. At 8 & 10 hopefully they'll understand this and follow the rules you set regarding the nipping and replacing yourselves with a toy. Small fingers anywhere near the face are going to look like attractive play things.

I assure you that it will get better however stubborn she seems just now, just be consistent with any rules you set.

Welcome to the Forum Smile

Please Help! 12 week old biting/nipping B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Scmule14 Thu May 14 2015, 01:12

Thanks so much for the advice. She is 11 weeks. This is my first staffy. I just wanted to know if this determined nipping/biting is just what I signed up for with chosing this breed. Or if it was a sign of something worse to come. But I see her sweet silly personality and already love her to pieces. Was just a bit shocked and unprepared for all the nipping. Especially when she would keep coming at me after repeated corrections. My trainer wanted me to use a shock collar!!! So I came to this forum for help in making sure I avoided something so drastic!

Scmule14

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Thu May 14 2015, 03:25

Firstly I would look for another trainer ASAP. Using negative reinforcement of any kind especially a shock collar is arcane and screams either ignorance or someone used to training a dog for the wrong purposes. Using fear to get an animal to respond to you is very dangerous and can lead to disaster.

All puppies nip that's just how they play. She is exploring the world with her mouth just like humans do. Lots of kids bite as well until they learn that the behavior is not acceptable. She will learn how to control her strength and behavior over time.

As a breed they are quite determined and love to play. They are also people oriented dogs and want to be around you as much as possible. Her nipping is an attempt to play and interact with you and is the only thing she knows at that age. Just be patient and consistent and she will learn. Also please be aware that they can pick up on your emotions as well so if you are fearful she may think she needs to protect you.

I would also advise getting the children to help train and teach her. Use positive reinforcement and keep session to 10-15 minutes in length. Any thing else and she will get bored. End each session on a positive note and use treats as a reward.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14 2015, 08:19

Oh my goodness! A shock collar on a puppy! You'd have much worse problems down the line if you used that. These two organisations promote positive training, so generally speaking their trainers are ok.

http://www.apbc.org.uk/
http://www.apdt.co.uk/

Any time a trainer suggests doing something you're not comfortable with, follow your instinct and stop.

In the meantime, the main thing I'd suggest is to keep calm around your pup - and shrieking or running will get her more excited. She's trying to get you all to play and any high energy reaction will be great fun for her. Teach her to sit, so that you can give her something positive to do that you can reward. Make sure she has plenty of short spells of physical exercise, such as chasing a ball in the garden, and mental exercise. One of my favourite puppy toys is hiding a treat in an old cereal packet or similar to get them thinking how to get the treat out.

And start some basic training, again for mental exercise. Here's a good video for sit, and she has several other that cover recall, down, etc. Oh, and biting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIdKdba_Wmo&index=1&list=PL0C724F6F6A597540

That's what good puppy training looks like.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scmule14 Thu May 14 2015, 11:47

When she jumps up and takes a hold of my and my children's clothes so much they rip...how do I correct that?

Scmule14

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Thu May 14 2015, 11:49

Are you pulling away? When Suki was going through this phase we kept treats or a squeaky toy handy. When she grabs the clothes just redirect her attention with one of those.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14 2015, 12:54

Teach 'leave it!'. It's really easy. You give her a toy she likes and, when she has hold of it, stick a treat under her nose and say 'leave it'. She will drop the toy to eat the treat. Repeat that a few times and she'll know that dropping the toy gets her the treat. You then ask for 'leave it' without showing her the treat first, but still give her one when she's dropped the toy. Then become random, and wait till she's picked something up or taken hold or something, then ask for 'leave it' and give her a treat. It should always be a nice, happy request rather than a stern command, and oh such a good girl for doing it!

Keep jars of treats all over the place so they're to hand when you need them. Any time an opportunity or need arises, ask for 'leave it' and treat. Very soon you'll have a puppy who will drop anything or let go of anything when you ask.

Get your kids to join in the training, which will help on so many levels. Keep everyone involved, keep everyone consistent and you'll be working as a family unit towards having a happy puppy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu May 14 2015, 13:10

The reason that her behaviour isn't improving is because you're punishing her, not training her. Teach her what you would like her to do, remember that puppies interact with their mouths like toddlers do with their hands. Train her to "leave" and then give her something to do - stuffed kongs, treat balls, soft squeaky toys, rope toys, a short training session - anything that allows her an outlet for her behaviour but distracts her from making you that outlet.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by beesha Fri May 15 2015, 19:28

My pup was exactly the same as this. We used to call him the land shark! He used to draw blood on a daily basis and I was so worried about his behaviour and ended up in tears several times. I used the same methods that the guys here have been advising. All I can say is hang in there, you have a very young pup and it will take time for her to learn what's acceptable behaviour. She's not trying to hurt you, she's just learning about the world. My boy is now 16 months old and is a lovely dog and I'm sure your girl will be same given the guidance and patience required to get through this stage, but it will take time and will not happen overnight. Good luck and following the correct advice and using positive reinforcement your wee one will be a much loved and happy member of your family for many years Smile
beesha
beesha

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by knarla2014 Fri May 22 2015, 19:43

Scmule14 wrote:Thanks so much for the advice. She is 11 weeks. This is my first staffy. I just wanted to know if this determined nipping/biting is just what I signed up for with chosing this breed. Or if it was a sign of something worse to come. But I see her sweet silly personality and already love her to pieces. Was just a bit shocked and unprepared for all the nipping. Especially when she would keep coming at me after repeated corrections. My trainer wanted me to use a shock collar!!! So I came to this forum for help in making sure I avoided something so drastic!

i would put a shock collar on the trainer, i would never ever use those torture devices, you willget great advice on here as said above...
knarla2014
knarla2014

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : knarla
Dog(s) Ages : 15 months
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sat May 23 2015, 23:16

I can't add anything above Smile

Please Help! 12 week old biting/nipping B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Tue Jun 23 2015, 10:59

my Buddy is 14 weeks old and is still going through this stage, you are not alone - it is hard work but he will get better - and just when you think you have mastered it he will try it again - you do not have a monster puppy- just an excitable bundle that wants to play and investigate everything and who hasn't quite yet learnt his boundaries- training and especially the mind games suggested will help tire him out and he will learn to play with you on your terms- remember staffy play is rough.. but at his age rarely aggressive - relax and enjoy your puppy and he will start to enjoy being with you and the nipping will get less - keep treats and toys hidden around the home for distraction and then praise they are clever dogs he will soon learn .-good luck
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down