-Ian-
Rachel33
vtr1rider
7 posters

Go down

Rescue Staffie Empty Rescue Staffie

Post by vtr1rider Sat Apr 18 2015, 20:56

Hi all,
New member here - but not at all new to Staffies - lost my male Staffie aged 10 years in January and have adopted a rescue staffie as from 13th March - 18 months old. He is great 98% of the time - although was a bit distant at first and excitable - lots of toilet problems which we have associated with his new surroundings. He's also had a few issues when taking off his lead/harness - he snaps at the harness or grabs your arm. This seemed to have subsided until yesterday when he was tied up to our neighbours gate and then he went schizo - very disturbed and frightened. My partner went to release the lead from the gate and he was snarling and wasn't alowing the lead to be released. My partner and neighbour by a method of distraction and cutting the lead off the gate got him free and instantly his mood changed from aggressive to very passive. Am really concerned now about the future as we don't know what set this off - have my theories about him being bated or abused in some way, am concerned he may get wound up in a similar manner and go for someone else - have also contacted dogtrust where we got him from to get some advice.
I literally have not got any history on him and am fearing the worst - and like all you guys - am trying to do something good by rescuing and not encouraging breeding. Am fearing the worst for this unfortunate fella because of some low life treating him like a commodity - and now am having to pick up the pieces.
Just wondering if any of you guys have gone through anything similar.

vtr1rider
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Rescue Staffie Empty Re: Rescue Staffie

Post by Rachel33 Sun Apr 19 2015, 07:17

Hello! Yes, my first foster, Ollie, his was a little different, he cannot have a lead and collar at all (he will grab the lead and you if you get in the way) so he lives permanently at the rehab centre - he's has his own little house in the office and exercises off lead in a secure paddock leading out from it. I had a few in kennels with similar behaviour - I also assumed he had been tied up for something and some point. I would strongly recommend getting professional help for this - I don't feel we could advise safely from the forum. The dogs trust may be able to put you in contact with somebody - if not and you would like to work through this with him I may be able to help you to find a behaviourist.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Apr 19 2015, 10:26

Does sound like being attached to the gate and not being able to move triggered some bad memory. At least you have found out early on and can get help with this. I think Rachel is right, you need to take professional advice on this as from what I read this seemed quiet a frenzied reaction. Hopefully it is a trigger and can be addressed and he can become a happy confident family member.

Do let us know how you get on.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Rescue Staffie B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19 2015, 11:30

I have to agree with Rachel. I hope the Dogs Trust will be able to give you some support. Have a talk with them about how long they'd had him in, where they got him from, what sort of behavioural issues they had with him if any, any training work they've done, etc. A professional behaviourist is also what I'd then suggest. They should be able to give you an assessment as to how they view his behaviours, what is fixable and what, if anything, is not.

I would also say that you should feel able to say that you don't think you can cope with the problems if they aren't fixable within a reasonable period of time. It is much, much better for you to ask the Dogs Trust to take him back than for you to be putting yourselves and others in danger. I know it's a pants thing to even have to think about, but you have to keep everyone safe.

If you get no help or suggestions from the Dogs Trust, ask here to see if there is anyone in your area who could recomend a trainer for you.

I have my fingers firmly crossed for you all.

Back to top Go down

Post by vtr1rider Sun Apr 19 2015, 19:01

Thanks everyone - have been in touch with Dogstrust and they are going to arrange for a behaviourist to take a look at what is going on. He does seem to react worse with my partner than with me and I think that could be a trust thing. The dog himself has come on leaps and bounds from the day we got him. He is also so nervous and seems always expectant that he is going to be told off (head down, submissive behaviour etc). I hope he can be helped for all our sakes.
Will let you know what happens.

vtr1rider

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sun Apr 19 2015, 19:11

Aww all the best

Rescue Staffie B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Apr 19 2015, 19:13

They will respond better to a confident person so he could be picking up some tension from your partner. Fingers crossed for you Smile

Rescue Staffie B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sun Apr 19 2015, 23:20

Best of luck
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by vtr1rider Wed May 13 2015, 17:59

An up date on this - we had 3 brilliant weeks after stopping using a harness which seemed to trigger the snapping and lead issues - he was like another dog. We sought help from Dogstrust and they gave us loads of ideas to try and this also calmed his possessiveness of food that he had. However, the day before yesterday he went for my partner again and again yesterday morning and actually caused a bite injury. I got in touch with Dogstrust again and they have agreed to take him back.
I am so gutted and feel like a complete failure and as you can imagine I have grown really fond of the little fella but it has become quite a concern that he feels he has to attack. I don't know what this little fella has gone through but I think it is beyond us. We only wanted to do the right thing and rescue a poor staffie in need of a good home.

vtr1rider

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Wed May 13 2015, 18:10

So sorry it hasn't worked out for you. It's horrible to think what that little dog has been through in his life to make him that way. I do hope you won't be put of rescuing in future as there are too many dogs who need loving homes.

Rescue Staffie B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed May 13 2015, 18:50

Sorry to read this news. First and foremost, your safety and that of your family must come first so please don't feel like a failure, you did your best for him.

Sometimes these things happen. Hopefully he will find another home somewhere that he can settle in, this is in no way is a reflection on you or the care you gave him. I too hope that you can find another rescue to fill that 4 pawed space.

Rescue Staffie B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed May 13 2015, 20:04

so sorry you did the best you could you sought the help you could and didn't just give up on him i wish you all the very best for your future Smile

Rescue Staffie B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14 2015, 08:23

I'm so sorry to hear that. You've made a very hard decision but the right one for your family.

It highlights why it's always best to rehome through a reputable organisation such as the Dogs Trust, as you have the support and safety net if things don't work out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmy Thu May 14 2015, 13:23

Sounds like someone had him as a bait dog or something like that. Totally beyond anything you could safely fix, yourselves. Kudos to you for trying so hard and so well with him, and when you feel ready, don't let this put you off a rescue staffy again. You've had one before so you already know they're the best dogs.

Dogs Trust are brilliant. We got our's as a pup from them - that might be an alternative for you when you're ready to try again.

Sounds like you did your absolute best and your best was excellent.
Charmy
Charmy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Beezer
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu May 14 2015, 17:08

Really feel for you, what a sad experience. It sounds like you have made the right decision for you, and I hope he can get the help that he needs from the professionals. Please don't let this put you off, there are so many staffies looking for homes that will be suitable, when you're ready.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down