Day one post cruciate ligament surgery for my 4yr Gracie

5 posters

Go down

Day one post cruciate ligament surgery for my 4yr Gracie Empty Day one post cruciate ligament surgery for my 4yr Gracie

Post by debso65 Tue Feb 10 2015, 05:35

I thought Gracie might be a little sedated after surgery yesterday but unfortunately..Fentynal patch on x 5 days and gave NSIAD today...not sedated but carrying her leg off ground thankfully...anyone else able to share how they went post similar surgerys? 4-6 weeks in crate seems a huge challenge as we're not crating experienced...cheers Debs from New Zealand

Last edited by Kathy on Tue Feb 10 2015, 12:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved post to Staffy Health Issues)

debso65
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Day one post cruciate ligament surgery for my 4yr Gracie Empty Re: Day one post cruciate ligament surgery for my 4yr Gracie

Post by Bane Tue Feb 10 2015, 21:36

Next doors Golden Retriever had his cruciate ligament surgery maybe about 6 weeks ago now.

The first few days I think the anaesthetic was making him a little ill as he didn't really eat much or move, or go to the toilet. After a week or so though he really picked up and returned to his usual self. Took a few days for him to walk on the leg though.

He was only allowed outside to the toilet for the first couple of weeks until a check up. Then he was allowed a couple minute walk up and down the road and now he is allowed to go around the block. They don't have a crate for him and he is doing well, but he is quite calm and mellow anyway, not like a Staff! Big Grin

How has she been so far? As long as you keep her calm and stop her from jumping around the house, I'm sure you wouldn't have to use a crate if you don't feel comfortable to. If she isn't used to one either, trying to crate train her when she is in pain probably won't be the easiest thing.
Hope the surgery went well and she recovers quickly Smile
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Day one post cruciate ligament surgery for my 4yr Gracie Empty Re: Day one post cruciate ligament surgery for my 4yr Gracie

Post by debso65 Wed Feb 11 2015, 06:08

day 2 and no sedation effect for this girl!! the day of surgery she was still affected and seemed in a little pain but no longer I have a crate and so far shes spent2-3 hrs at a go in it as i have to go to work in x 2 days and she'll be in it x 8 hrs!! (dont kno who it will be harder for!!) I carry her and tie up in gardin in day when im there..when she starts getting restless..standing and moving restlessly i put in the crate..vet says thats ok as long as no weight bearing on leg...when restless I notices that food was starting to touch the ground!! so far so good...shes found her voice tho..the staffi screeching...
Yip I didnt really realise b4 just how restless Staffis are..never really stops...thanks for your reply...vet has advised physio for range of motion exercises...

debso65

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu Feb 12 2015, 22:17

Sounds like she is doing alright considering Smile Hopefully she will heal quickly! Hydro-therapy is supposed to be really good for it if you have anywhere nearby!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by debso65 Fri Feb 13 2015, 06:55

Gracie is very unimpressed with restrictions...have her on short leash when we're in gardin and building her tolerance for crate time as I go back to work tomorrow...will come home at lunch which will be longest time in crate; 4 hrs! then she'll have to go back in for next 4 hrs!!! yikes
then in 3 days after each days of similar crating we have first vet check!
shes toe touching with affected limb...but have to very vigelent as shes taken off once with her rapid 3 leg sprint!! wound site is good; swelling gone and suture line in tact (am a RN ).
Anyone else have knowledge just how soon weight bearing is OK?

debso65

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Fri Feb 20 2015, 16:52

Hi Debs,

Ralph had his CL surgery in November... from memory, he was weight bearing within a few days, and because the little muster wouldn't keep still it was a nightmare! Having to stop him going upstairs and lifting him up onto the sofa and following him round! Ralph also hated not going for his two walks a day. The surgery really didn't seem to affect him that badly at all. It was us that were bothered!
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by debso65 Sat Mar 07 2015, 03:26

week 4 now and from day 2-3 post surgery Gracie has acted like nothing wrong...never realised just how restless a pooch she is!!! sitting in lounge now and have her tied to bench as up down..up down..and the theory is still 4 crate rest!!??? well my girl is one of those staffs the ver describes as doing more harm to self incate left her in crate alone on day 5 and when got home took 40 mins to calm agitation and screeching...the crate is not for gracie..certainly am looking forward to again just having a normal walk with her but thinkk thats a wee way away!!

debso65

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Mar 07 2015, 18:09

Crates are not for all that's for sure. You can only do your best to keep Gracie calm but it is an uphill struggle. Just remember that the more rest she gets the quicker and better the outcome.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Day one post cruciate ligament surgery for my 4yr Gracie B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sat Mar 07 2015, 20:41

all the best for a speedy recovery gracie

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Day one post cruciate ligament surgery for my 4yr Gracie B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Day one post cruciate ligament surgery for my 4yr Gracie Empty up hill battle

Post by debso65 Sat Mar 07 2015, 20:50

Its very tiring now week 4 with constant worry shes not calm enough...vet check says shes ok with a small bit of movement in the joint...very anxiety making but hoping for the best...certainly shes been weight bearing since day one which hardly meets 'crate rest x 4-6 week expectation!!
Any other staffieys gone thru this and been successful??

debso65

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by debso65 Sat Mar 07 2015, 20:54

thanks for replies...find this site a little awkward so hope this gets to right place!

debso65

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down