Advice to dog-owner who is useless at getting her dog to walk to heal.

2 posters

Go down

Advice to dog-owner who is useless at getting her dog to walk to heal. Empty Advice to dog-owner who is useless at getting her dog to walk to heal.

Post by Rupertsbooks Thu Jan 01 2015, 11:29

I know that Rupert pulls like a train because I've never put the work into getting him to walk on lead properly.

What is the best, most intensive, most effective and fastest way of sorting this out? I remember someone on here having trained their dog to walk on lead in six hours - they had their iPod on, which helped as the whole process can be so boring and frustrating.

Thank you, all!
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Advice to dog-owner who is useless at getting her dog to walk to heal. Empty Re: Advice to dog-owner who is useless at getting her dog to walk to heal.

Post by Mia05 Thu Jan 01 2015, 15:12

some say its the type of collar a lot is vocal commands tho depends on your methid

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Advice to dog-owner who is useless at getting her dog to walk to heal. B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Advice to dog-owner who is useless at getting her dog to walk to heal. Empty Re: Advice to dog-owner who is useless at getting her dog to walk to heal.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01 2015, 18:40

I'm doing some training with the rescue dogs at the moment and the different to most of them when you have a longish lead that passes in front of the chest is huge. That, treats and finding ways of minimising a constant pull is what I use. Walk backwards and call Rupert to you with a treat, stick a treat under his nose to 'lead' him to the right place next to you, and if he starts pulling either stop or turn around, so pulling doesn't work.

I really like this video, it's not a 6 hour fix but it's a way a dog can work with, instead of against https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t59737-teaching-a-dog-not-to-pull-lovely-video

Some can be taught to walk on a slack lead in 6 hours, for many it takes longer. I would say it takes the time it takes for that dog and you as a partnership. Put a timeframe in your mind and you're doomed to failure.

The first thing is to ditch the boredom and frustration and create interaction that's fun and rewarding, especially for Rupert. There's got to be something in it for him, and you've got to be what he wants to be near. I know it's hard when you've got a steam train on a lead, but it can be done, honest!

More often than not, it ain't what you do it's the way that you do it... and that's what gets results (Bananarama and the Fun Boy Three)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down